Can Pandora's OS be ported to the Samsung 7580?

forphucksakes

Still Fresh
Hi guys,

Can the pandora's Angstrom OS be ported to the samsung 7580 smartphone to run as a primary OS?

The reason I ask is that it seems to be a souped up pandora(dual core a9 w/ linux "friendly" broadcom videocore 4 gpu) so would be nice to be able to use it as a gaming handheld via usb gamepad.

http://www.droidgod.com/2014/05/samsung-galaxy-trend-plus-gt-s7580-full-specifications-features/

If so how much work would it be? What would have to be done? I have one lying around and its not doing anything ...

Thanks

You would have an easier time just porting a vanilla version of Angstrom than use the Pandora's version.  

The OS is very specific to the hardware on the Pandora,there are a ton of custom changes from how it handles the display framebuffer, pandora keyboard to power management, wifi.. etc..  If someone does spend months working on doing this for you, there is still no guarantee the games would work as they may directly use the omap3 specific framebuffer or something else pandora specific..   

compiling a Linux kernel compatible with your phone may be the first tricky step even before jumping into putting a linux distribution on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Set up a crosscompiler for your architecture, then build the kernel with it. Try to find a hood configuration that starts at least

Then boot a minimal linux distribution with your kernel, like a debian server image. If it works, have a look at the angstrom distributions build mechanics and build a custom os. Then start building packages for it.

Good luck.

compiling a Linux kernel compatible with your phone may be the first tricky step even before jumping into putting a linux distribution on it.
Where would you start?
Honestly I wouldn't.. but a quick google search I found a video that shows some of the crosscompiling action mcobit mentions in the prior post, however for a different model of Samsung phone..

Set up a crosscompiler for your architecture,
so x86 -- > Arm v7? Do I cross compile the vanilla upstream linux kernel or can I use something else?

Like this? http://gpio.kaltpost.de/?page_id=131

Honestly I wouldn't.. but a quick google search I found a video that shows some of the crosscompiling action mcobit mentions in the prior post, however for a different model of Samsung phone..
K thnx but do i have to use their kernel?

If there is a kernel with a config for the device or similar device available it is a good point to start from.

Also: Finding the right drivers for linux and your smartphone might become a nightmare. Most smartphones only have 3D drivers for android. Same with wifi and 3G.

Mods please feel free to move this post to a more appropriate location if it is felt to detract from the true intent of this sub-forum.

Doing a cat /proc/cpuinfo on the GT-S7580 produces a Hardware : hawaii_ss_kylepro rev0000. This(hawaii) apparently corresponds to the BCM21664/T CPU and not the 21855(capri) as wikipedia originally indicated.

samsung gt-s7580 cat cpuinfo

gsmhosting.com

specdevice:gt-s7580

So I did some kernel "spelunking" on the opensource.samsung.com source and found that (unfortunately) the GT-S7580 device kernel does NOT use DTS. This means to actually compile vanilla for the 7580 I would need to some how include all the board files into the vanilla kernel OR create a DTS from the board files that I found; neither of which is a simple task from what I understand.

board-hawaii_ss_kylepro.c

Generic maybe: board-hawaii.c

I have also however , in the process found that the device kernel does have a .dtsi file for the 21644 and a .dts for another board that uses it(kyleve == GT-S7392) :

Hawaii_ss_kyleve_rev00 Dts file

Generic BCM_21664 Device tree file

hawaii_bcmpmu_ss_kyleve_rev00.dtsi
not sure what this is...might be generic : Hawaii.dts

Oddly enough there is also a board file for the kyleve version:

board-hawaii_ss_kyleve.c

So I've read up quite a bit on devicetree.org/free electrons but the task of writing a DT is still quite daunting to me. Can the dts for the 7392 used instead?

Here is a comparison of both phones:

gsmchoice : 7392

gsmchoice : 7580

Seems like the main HW difference is in RF(HSPA etc) , camera specs; so Im thinking that they actually use the same pcb??

Back