Dualboot Os

Meany105

Still Fresh
This is a question for any one with acess to a pandora,

Can you install android or ubuntu or maybe even windows (or any other OS) on the pandora and if the answer is yes then can you please name the top 3 or something like that.

Microsoft Windows cannot be run on the Pandora, because it requires an x86 processor. The Pandora's processor is an ARM.

A quick port of Android has been done, to see how it would work, and an ARM version of Ubuntu is also on the cards. You can also view other OSes that are likely to be usable here. My understanding is that you would install them to an SD Card, and then hold down a particular button combination whilst starting the machine in order to boot the alternate OS from the SD Card.

I hope this sheds some light.

Don't listen to that negative nancy, you just need to properly set your flux capacitor before inserting the Windows 7 disc into the Pandora's blu-ray drive. After that you just follow on-screen instructions until it's done, as far as I remember Windows 7 has been tested and is working on the latest image. Happy WoWing!

Windows CE should run with some hard work (Runs on SmartQ and some Cortex A8 devices) and maybe Windows Mobile 7 once that is a little more mainstream.

It's running it's own custom operating system. Why would you want ubuntu or anything else that is NOT optimised or even setup to work with this device.
You want something that looks like ubunut? Install GNOME and a ubuntu theme.

Meany105 said:
This is a question for any one with acess to a pandora,

Can you install android or ubuntu or maybe even windows (or any other OS) on the pandora and if the answer is yes then can you please name the top 3 or something like that.
You can dual boot any other proper OS that is compiled for ARM. Remember this thing is a full on computer, not some huge phone :)

Last edited by a moderator:
AI Touchbook already runs Android, Ubuntu-ARM, AIOS (Angstrom) and so on .. dual-boots quite well between all of them as well, and since it uses the same hardware as the Pandora I see this is being quite feasible in the very near future.

And we can probably count Mandriva too as easily port(able) to the Pandora since it now also runs on arm.

You may be able to run Windows via an emulator, but it'll be extremely slow.

I'm not really sure why you would want to install another OS on it, especially if you're thinking of just going to another variant of Linux.

If you don't like the GUI the Pandora ships with, change the GUI, there's no reason to change the entire OS which is already tuned for the Pandora itself. It can be flexed in pretty much any way you could want to.

If you don't like XFCE use:

apt-get install jwm (TINY!!)
apt-get install gdm
apt-get install kde

blah blah blah

Yeah, it'd pretty much just break all of the built-in software. No PND files, buggy drivers, slow-as-crap...
But you are welcome to use another OS if you want. OP isn't nintendo.

General info you may find useful FAQ
Regarding OS

The faq probably isn't 100% up to date due to the nature of the Pandora project (and fact it's not released), but it still contains a lot of answers that you may need, and even make you think of questions you never knew you had ;)

I was impressed with the videos i seen of the Lenovo U1, which is a dual boot i think, it has Windows 7 when it is docked to the laptop, but when you take out just the screen, it switches to a Linux OS, a UI called SkyLight

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/04/lenovo-ideapad-u1-hybrid-laptop-by-day-unhinged-tablet-by-nigh/

On the demo video, the touch interaction with the Linux OS looks amazing, dont suppose anything like that fancyness could happen on pandora could it?
...I guess it has a lot to do with the dual-core snapdragon chip, which is not inside pandora?

Personally i dont think id need a dual boot myself, but i like this Lenovo using the Linux OS, and this thread just reminded me of that laptop/tablet

Crunchwrap said:
Don't listen to that negative nancy, you just need to properly set your flux capacitor before inserting the Windows 7 disc into the Pandora's blu-ray drive. After that you just follow on-screen instructions until it's done, as far as I remember Windows 7 has been tested and is working on the latest image. Happy WoWing!

do you have to recalibrate the warp drive too?? :)

Crunchwrap said:
Nono, you need the lazer 7 connector!

Windows CE could be made to work no doubt, but you will get no official support from us or from MS.

I'd recommend you just use the default OS. You will have all your 'regular' apps like Firefox, Office, FTP, Messenger services etc. and you should not really notice anything different from whatever you use now, emulators and games will just be icons you can double click. It will all 'just work'.

Well, as long as you don't dig too deep ;)

Back