What Will It Take To Get Arch Working?

quadomatic

DingooWiki Admin
Website
www.opendingoo.com
I'd be fairly interested in getting Arch running on the Pandora. I would like to install my own OS so that I can make it as minimalistic as possible: XFCE is nice, but it's somewhat unnecessary.

What would it take to get Arch (or any other OS like MeeGo or Android) working on the Pandora?

Will we have to use a modified kernel? What (if any) changes will have to be made in the normal installation process?

Arch should be pretty easy to get up and running on the pandora, as there is already a port of Arch to ARM devices. You can find more information and the buildscripts over at
www.archmobile.org (site seems to be down atm)

Djwillis recently documented using OE to build a few official firmware options; one of the templates he's included is a basic command-line only firmware, if you're interested.

Its actually pretty easy to boot up alternate distributions, but it takes a lot of work to tweak them to be useful.

ie: You could get a recent Debian ARM or Ubuntu ARM (for example), drop in the Pandora kernel and have _Something_ going pretty fast. But removing the unapplicable software so you're not eating up all your RAM etc, thats where the work begins.

There should be a number of guides for BeagleBoard around which will help out.

Are you aware of .. when booting, hold down right-trigger to get a bootmenu, which lets you specify 'boot from SD' as one of the options; with a properly set up SD, you'll be able to tweak and edit your firmware on SD, pop it into your pandora and boot, and see how it goes, without risking your NAND firmware. Great stuff.

If you like, we cna dig up some boot-scripts and such so you cna just boot your kernel off one partition (a small one), and then have it go right into your firmware on another partition of the same SD, and just unpack your big firmware into there, for tweaking away. It works really well.

I've got to run right now, but ask lots of questions, we'll fill you in :)

(heck, you could go right minimal, a few of us have, especially notaz; boot kernel off the SD, and have it drop right to a shell, with your OS only being 'ls' and a copy basic tools; I've even done that, booting right into Minimenu :)

jeff

I`d really like to see Debian on the Pandora, I have it on my Zipit Z2, And it works pretty well
considering it has a rather crappy 312Mhz Intel PXA270 ARM processor, But is sadly greatly let
down by the very small (2.8") low resolution (320x240) screen. It would be spot-on for the
Pandora, Openbox, PCMan etc, And access to a wealth of applications from the Debian ARM repository.

sudo apt-get install ??????, Lovely jubbly. :)

Trooper

Back