AC Adapter Problem?

triumvir

Still Fresh
I received a "Power Pax UK Switching Power Supply" with my Pandora, however, I've not be able to get it to charge my unit.

First thing of notice is that there appears to be a green LED on the unit that has never lit up. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. But the adapter doesn't appear to be working.

Holding it up to my ear, I've also noticed a sound similar to a squeak/click/ticking over and over coming from the adapter. Again not sure if this was normal.

Charging from USB has been working fine, but nothing from the AC adapter.

Just looking for some opinions or help on the matter. Thank you.

-Tri

The unit does not charge if the two halves of the adapters are plugged in around the wrong way, although I'm not sure if those adapters are still being shipped.

If you really need to be able to use AC charging, you can always buy a (reputable) PSP charger and use that, I have been told.

Yes i have read many times on this forum that people use PSP chargers.

The unit does not charge if the two halves of the adapters are plugged in around the wrong way, although I'm not sure if those adapters are still being shipped.

If you really need to be able to use AC charging, you can always buy a (reputable) PSP charger and use that, I have been told.

I've tried every configuration, this doesn't seem to be the problem, still not getting anything from the adapter.

In that case it's probably faulty, unfortunately.

Just to be sure, what are you doing with your unit while attempting to charge it?

Also, in reply to your first post, one of the LEDs on the pandora is not connected to anything, so I wouldn't worry too much about there being a problem with the Pandora itself.

From the Wiki:

Pandora Wiki said:
To "fast charge" just put the system into "low-power" mode. You cannot charge the system while off. This is currently a feature and may change in future versions of the firmware.

You can find more about the power modes here.

EDIT: Odd, I'm not sure why that post got split.

In that case it's probably faulty, unfortunately.

Just to be sure, what are you doing with your unit while attempting to charge it?

Also, in reply to your first post, one of the LEDs on the pandora is not connected to anything, so I wouldn't worry too much about there being a problem with the Pandora itself.

Normally just attempting to charge it. I've tried a bunch of different ways, on/off and normal idle in xfce/low power mode. From what I understand, even if the unit is off, if the power adapter is inserted it should turn on and charge anyways, this is the case for USB anyways.

The LED I was referring to is on the power adapter itself, not the Pandora, which is why I suspected the adapter was bad. I'm sure my Pandora is fine, it has been working well so far.

I'm going to try to track down a PSP charger today locally, which might be difficult because I live in the middle of nowhere. It'll be an adventure!

I e-mailed sales and Jacquelyn offered to reimburse me the cost of an AC adapter so I could just go out and buy one rather than wait for another to arrive via air mail. Great service as always.

In that case, your unit is fautly, as you suspected.

But no, your pandora should not charge from off if it is plugged into the AC. I think the only reason it charged via USB is due to it being put in host/liw power mode.

In that case, your unit is fautly, as you suspected.

But no, your pandora should not charge from off if it is plugged into the AC. I think the only reason it charged via USB is due to it being put in host/liw power mode.

Sorry, to clarify, I meant that the unit would power on and then proceed to charge. This is what happens when USB is connected from off.

Sorry, to clarify, I meant that the unit would power on and then proceed to charge. This is what happens when USB is connected from off.
Yes, that is expected. We need to modify the kernel so it can do a very small startup within a second with just enough code to check the battery status and decide how to charge it. This is how most modern phones do it as well, they start and run just enough code to make sure the battery doesn't blow up, maybe blink an LED to indicate it's charging. Pandora can do something similar, it's just not easy, and not a high priority.

Yes, that is expected. We need to modify the kernel so it can do a very small startup within a second with just enough code to check the battery status and decide how to charge it. This is how most modern phones do it as well, they start and run just enough code to make sure the battery doesn't blow up, maybe blink an LED to indicate it's charging. Pandora can do something similar, it's just not easy, and not a high priority.

I know it's normal. :) I was making the point that it would do it from USB but not the main power adapter. I'm 99.9% certain the adapter is kaput, I've since ordered a PSP adapter from Amazon since I couldn't find one locally, hopefully that works to charge my unit. We'll see when it arrives!

Just wanted to conclude this post.

I wasn't able to find an adapter locally, so I just ordered one within Canada for pretty cheap and was refunded the cost of the adapter. I just wanted to comment on the always excellent service I receive from Craig's shop, Jacquelyn is one of the nicest people I've ever dealt with and is doing an amazing job.

I've since received the new power adapter and it works wonderfully, which gave me quite the sigh of relief that my original assumption of my first adapter being kaput was right. I have been using my Pandora and charging it via USB while waiting for the adapter, and I've got to say, it's probably the most unique electronic device that I own, and I've got quite a few. It's certainly the only one to put such a grin on my face while using it, I absolutely love this little box.

Quite the amazing feat, hats off the the team and everybody else that has worked on it. Simply brilliant.

-Tri

Last edited by a moderator:
Back