Ac Adapter Question

worldwriter

Grumpy
Website
Visit site
I've noticed I can plug my ac adaptor into an outlet from either top to bottom or the other way around... is it bad for the gp 32 to have the wrong plugin tooth on the wrong outlet hole?... meaning will it reverse anything to do with the current or will the ac adapter take care of that kind of thing itself so the gp32 doesn't have bad voltage hit it...i've noticed the gp32 works no matter how its plugged in... just wanted to make sure the damage wasn't slowly acumulating...

You need to tell us your country...Power outlets differ from country to country.
I'm pretty sure the fact that the adaptor gets A/C, which is power that switches
from one polarity to another, has something to do with it.

My adaptor is regulated, has a polarized plug, short detection
circuits, a 4 bank battery charger, and it takes Radioshack adaptaplugs :) (which are reversible polarity and if you polarize them wrong your in trouble. The manual makes sure you don't though :). So on mine, once you get the adapaplug set
up right, it'd idiot-proof.

It looks like not... maybe your A/C detec the polarity and react by it. So if you plug it upside down, the A/C will just swap polarity thus leaving your GP32 free of danger. Most of the A/C adaptor you buy are now equiped with this feature.

Wouldnt it be better just to get some rechargable batterys. There every where now adayz. And there portable to.

worldwriter posted on Dec 10 2004 at 01:57 AM said:
I've noticed I can plug my ac adaptor into an outlet from either top to bottom or the other way around... is it bad for the gp 32 to have the wrong plugin tooth on the wrong outlet hole?... meaning will it reverse anything to do with the current or will the ac adapter take care of that kind of thing itself so the gp32 doesn't have bad voltage hit it...i've noticed the gp32 works no matter how its plugged in... just wanted to make sure the damage wasn't slowly acumulating...

There is no difference. AC is Alternating Current It goes from + to - on its own in a sine wave. The adapter has diodes in it that convert to DC. As long as the plug that goes into the GP32 is correct polarity then no problem, if incorrect polarity then POOF!. If you have a cheap dodgy adapter that doesn't convert very well causing ripple, then your screen will waver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back