AC Adaptor

Fredrm

Still Fresh
I've just bought an AC adaptor for my GP and it is doing strange things to my machine. The FLU light is distinctly brighter than with batteries (which is fine) but there are also strange 'waves' moving across the screen right to left. I've checked the polarity and the voltage but these waves are making me nervous. Any suggestions what might be causing it?

Fred

Yep:
Looks like you bought a cheap AC adaptor, they can't keep the power 100% stable, that's where the waves come from.
It doesn't hurt your GP, it just looks ugly.

If you want to get rid of the waves, go get yourself a stabilized AC adaptor.

Strangely, I mentioned this to someone on IRC yesterday, as I have the same problem, and they said they had the same problem, and recommended putting a capacitor on it to smooth out the signal. The capacitor needs to be wired in parallel, so if you have a power adaptor with the tips that are changable, and connect to lead with two metal spikes, you can probably get away with jamming the legs of a capacitor along side those legs. I haven't tried this yet, but it fits with what I remember of electronics.

If this means nothing to you, get someone who knows a bit about electronics to read it. Or just buy a more expensive power adaptor.

Back