Gp32 Dead? Stupid Ac Adaptor Thing

Hahah hah hah

Lets see. the reason why you are screwing with no results is likely due to the fact that you have screwed your screw driver.. yep.. if its cheap then chances are that the screw bit and the actual shaft has loosened....!

++++++++
++++++++ //===========#
++++++++

juts my screw driver..!

This often happens with cheaper drivers and stiff screws..!

Just got it apart now. Used a nial clippers to pry it open.
Looks like I'm not her first, there're paw prints all over the SMC reader and some other parts. Was 2nd hand anyway.
Where the hell do I get a diode that small?
Tiny compared to the ones we used in engineering.

It's fairly standard size. It probably says 1N4148 on it, which is a general purpose diode. Any silicium diode will do though, they're all pretty much the same. (And they're all so small)

Edit: On second thought, RobBrown thinks it might be a zener diode (Which is a fairly rough voltage regulator)

OK, I checked in my GP32 and it's a 3.6V Zener diode. Now the interesting thing is that it's on the 3.3V rail, which means that it's only acting as an over-voltage clamp. So, in the long run, go ahead and get a 3.6V Zener diode to connect in there (you'll probably find it easier to find a leaded one, like in chn's picture).

BUT: in the meantime, it is safe to run the GP32 without that diode in the circuit at all. Only do it when running on batteries, so that there's not much chance of an overvoltage situation.

I hate to be discouraging, but in my experience if you've connected a voltage source to your GP32 incorrectly, it's unlikely that you'll get it going again. Chn did though, so maybe luck will be on your side :)

The larger black component in chn's picture is a 220uF, 6V tantalum capacitor. It might be a good idea to replace that as well (go to your local electronics hobbyist shop). Keep in mind that with both the diode and the capacitor, they must be connected the right way around (keep the stripes at the correct ends).

Just took a closer look at my GP.
The diode on mine is held in in a different manner to the one in the picture. It looks more like it's soldered straight to board but it does appear to be the same type.

The capacitors are all different too. Yellow and orange instead and they're all marked "227 A M031W".
Sure I can just bring it in to the shop and they'll know what to give me.

Can't think of anywhere that I'd describe as a electronics hobbyist shop. My brain is scouring the streets of Cork but nothing comes to mind :unsure:
I remember there being a shop that sold kit RC airplanes and cars but it closed last year I believe.

Sorry, I should have mentioned: the diode in chn's picture is a replacement, it's not the original. Note that you can't tell anything about them from looking at the package type, because they all look the same. If you can read what's written on them then *sometimes* you'll get useful information.

Also, it doesn't matter whether your capacitor is yellow or black, they're all the same. FYI, 227 means 220 microFarads.

Anyway, if you have a credit/debit card you could get everything you need from RS Components.

For the diode, you could get part number 812-358.

RS does sell tantalum capacitors but they're ridiculously expensive - 7 quid each, and you have to buy 10 at a time! Instead, you could get an electrolytic capacitor like 315-0322 although it's much bigger than the one that's in there at the moment - you'll just need to take care in fitting it.

Also, it doesn't matter whether your capacitor is yellow or black, they're all the same. FYI, 227 means 220 microFarads.

Anyway, if you have a credit/debit card you could get everything you need from RS Components.

For the diode, you could get part number 812-358.

RS does sell tantalum capacitors but they're ridiculously expensive - 7 quid each, and you have to buy 10 at a time! Instead, you could get an electrolytic capacitor like 315-0322 although it's much bigger than the one that's in there at the moment - you'll just need to take care in fitting it.
I got a catalog of electronics parts from work so can order the parts I need.
The capacitor you mentioned is a 10V according to this Radionics print off they gave me. I'm guessing this isn't the right one since its been said the capacitor is a 6V.

The catalog also has capacitors that are the same size/design as the current one in the GP. There seem to be a shite load of variations though. No idea what any of it means.

I've noticed that they have no 6V capacitors, 6.3V is the same right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back