Accidentally found a flaw in major online bank...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offshore bank accounts? Hacked? And you're convinced we are convinced?

Go to bed Craig.

I'm just convinced you're a troll.

But why? To see if I'll ban you? What's the point? I'll ban you if you want me to.

Has it really come to this? I can't document something I think is pretty interesting without being trolled?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's get Craig a free trip to the Cuba...

Dirty bomb terrorist attack bank fraud offshore lies

I'm just convinced you're a troll.

But why? To see if I'll ban you? What's the point? I'll ban you if you want me to.

Has it really come to this? I can't document something I think is pretty interesting without being trolled?
Really?

I'll read it in tomorrow's Guardian if true...

Big story to be breaking on this site.

Please. Go to bed

Congratulations, you're banned for 24 hours.

This is proving to be an odd evening.

I'm reasonably sure we don't live in a police state yet!

Nothing more to say now, I'll just wait to see what they say, we have provided ample evidence of the flaw.

I live almost as far away from London as you can get in England, with good reason.

I'd thought this thread might have been an interesting discussion, but on second thoughts it should probably be locked as I don't have time to stop it repeatedly derailing.

I'll do an update about what happened when it's over.

banned? I thought you gave up mod priveleges, to debunk anymore concern over editing posts?

Craig still has Teh Banhammah! :)

Anyway, yeah, tread carefully.. too many stories about people finding issues, call up the company, and getting arrested for 'hacking' :/

jeff

It's possible he just told a mod to ban him?

I agree with other posters that this is a strange thread. In my mind the most appropriate course of action is an anonymous and polite letter from an e-mail account created at a coffee shop.

As told in security books I have read (no citations sorry), website security isn't gaining ground like the rest of technology... so while they may close that hole, other holes may very well exist or be created.

Changes in culture, management, and funding structure are more often what is required to truly tighten security (by my own limited experience).

I'll read it in tomorrow's Guardian if true...
Heh, not a week would go by without a news story if every single one were actually reported on in a timely fashion. 90% of the security flaws that happen you never hear about, and the other 10% you don't hear about until weeks or even months after they've happened, unless you're already listening for them. "Man finds security flaw" is boring news, it happens all the time. If there were actual scandal going on, like millions of dollars lost or whatever, then you might start approaching an interesting story.

If it's in europe and you don't get a decent reaction from the bank, try going through the local government CERT. They should at least have a general idea how to handle something like this. There's a list in a PDF document at http://www.enisa.eur...ities-in-europe. (For the US, try http://www.us-cert.gov/.)

Not shure what the ruckus is about, security vulnerabilities in web applications are quite common, and there's no exemption for banks and large internationals. Just look at Microsoft with the latest Skype password reset fuckup...

I remember an TV-article about the Chaos Computer Club (CCC), which you probably know from somewhere and despite their name are not about spreading chaos, but a productive hacking-community, that tries to help mankind with computer-security-related issues.

The interviewed guy said that one of the reasons of the existence was that if someone found a security issue which is related to hacking (in a closer or further relationship) can come to the CCC and discuss it with them and so they again can contact the company with the security issue. The benefit of this is that the CCC as third 'person' can not be sued for hacking (no matter if he didn't want harm anyone). I am not sure if I am getting this straight the way he said it, but something in that way.

So maybe contacting them might help you. For a start you don't have to tell them the way you did it, but ask them for general advice.

Lol, was about to post the same as notaz but didn't find the quote.

Edit: Could be that he discussed it with other mods though, and somone else banned him. ..

Lol, was about to post the same as notaz but didn't find the quote.

Edit: Could be that he discussed it with other mods though, and somone else banned him. ..

Edit 2: Or maybe craig "found a flaw in the forumsoftware by accident" and got his modpowers back ;)

What's odd is Craig bans the member for being skeptical of his story and then request someone else to lock the thread. Still Craig announcing on this board that he "accidentally" found a security risk while purposely attempting to access another's bank account does have some ground for cynicism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back