Actual Software On Release Day

Lobo

So, we have lots of info about devs who are working on software for the Pandora such as those who actually have dev boards right now, as well as those who have already started polishing up their code in preparation.

But what will actually be ready for download the day Pandora starts shipping?

No speculation here please: I would like to hear from the actual devs if they will have something publicly available for download the day the first Pandoras ship.

Thanks for your attention! :D

I would as well like to see a site with a database of downloads that can be used.

Another thing, will this be an annex onto the GP2X downloading site?

Kloplop321 said:
I would as well like to see a site with a database of downloads that can be used.

Another thing, will this be an annex onto the GP2X downloading site?
if you go through the wiki there is a link to the download site for the pandora apps etc, theres currently only 1 file on it (well there was only one a couple of days back) but the site is there none the less

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping for some emulators to be available by December, but maybe I'm being too optimistic :(

because you don't have the awesome memory that Chip has on these forums which he almost seems to live in :p (no offense chip)

Kloplop321 said:
because you don't have the awesome memory that Chip has on these forums which he almost seems to live in :p (no offense chip)
very true

It would be nice to know, but it seems doubtful that many developers are satisfied with releasing anything for download right now.

Given that, it would make sense that we only learn what is done with the release of the Pandora itself.

I have extended the bus driver theory

he's either

1) a robot bus driver
2) a savant bus driver
3) a regular bus driver with an extremely good memory

I realise the real question is what emulators we'll have from day 0 - thats what I'm interested in too but I'll have Pool Panic running within a few days (taking it as a given we'll have the SDL libraries).

I'm pretty sure we'll see quite a few GP2X homebrew games and apps ported very quickly.

We'll also probably have the PSX one (this is a speculation, but I'm relatively sure, seeing as how tinnus mentioned it was pretty much done)

Not only emus, but also what we can expect by way of an MP3 player, ebook reader etc.

I would assume that Craigamp would be available (though I find the Gp2x version is too buggy to be useful)

I'm guessing that software will be released as the devs are happy with it. Considering they are not working full time, a lot of devs can't say "My app will definitely be ready by X".

k, please let us have just a couple of base things to keep us happy for the time (NES,SMS,SNES and some other oldschool emus we've already seen in dev videos- we probably won't care if they're optimised or not on launch day, media playback + net browser, maybe even PSX if it's ready.

dare I ask for the (software renderer *coughcough) port of Quake2? :p

Lobo said:
So, we have lots of info about devs who are working on software for the Pandora such as those who actually have dev boards right now, as well as those who have already started polishing up their code in preparation.
Thanks for your attention! :D
There's a list of ppl working on software but is there a list of people with boards and number of boards in existence?

Squidge said:
I'm guessing that software will be released as the devs are happy with it. Considering they are not working full time, a lot of devs can't say "My app will definitely be ready by X".
Squidge, since you're one of the first devs that got a board (7 months now?), from the software perspective, how much of the hardware do you think devs are taking advantage of comparing say back in February to now?

thanks.

So, from what I can see, Pandora will ship with just an OS, possibly a GUI, and absolutely NO apps? Not even an MP3 player, Ebook reader or Image viewer?

That's not a very good reason to pre-order if you'll end up with a cutting-edge portable console which can do absolutely nothing when you turn it on.

Back