Followup Reviews?

aliking

I haven't been counting, but I think there are 5 or 6 Pandoras in the wild in actual, albeit prototype, cases. Maybe more in FDMs?

@those who have them; I was just wondering if anyone cared to venture a followup review after a month or so of having it? For example, are there day-to-day things that you use it for? Do you carry it around with you in your pocket? Has it, even at this early stage replaced any other devices?

I think lots of people might be interested to know what you've found your usage patterns to be, and what is hampering you most from using it fully.

thanks

a

<in a hurry stream of consiousness, so don't take this for much>

Tell you the truth, with mine .. I've been so utterly busy in every second of the day with either Pandora coding or real work (damn real work is in the way!), that I've not had time to have 'fun' with it ;) (I mean, I'm a coder through, so I really enjoy coding. Real life is overtiming me tthis last year, and I'm spending as much time iwth my kid as I can.... But we're polishing as much as we can for launch in a couple weeks, so when we're not doing our day jobs, we're all working our tails off. No time for the misses, its Pandora or Work :p) I'm pretty vocal (thats how I vent my stress right? :), so you saw two weeks ago I started minimenu, and its 'nearly done' now; I think two weeks ago I built in the ability for pnd-files to support multiple apps per pnd, so Vice can have one pnd but offer up like 5 apps (vic20, c64, etc). I built the 'info' system to pop up install guides or app docs the other day; we've debugged a bug in the pnd system that we found; and how many other things, just in the last week or two? :) every day a couple hours work on this or that subsystem. And thats just me .. we're killing ourselves here :) notaz and djwillis have had some good progress on wifi, and djwillis got the new opengl drivers and new X drivers couple weeks ago, and they're forever doing patches for this and sorting out that. ED keeps saying he's not a developer but hes scripting and configuring like mad, so I think he's cutting himself short. Craigs working on the store and archive, etc and etc, everyone is busting a nut.etc and so on, I'm not going to list everyone.

That said ..

Pickle and cpasjuste's port of Quake3 is really coming together nicely, as I think you saw a few times. I tried it a few weeks ago, and it was pretty clumsy; tried it a week ago, and its frakking great. Default config isn't there much, so you go to Config -> Move and set the d-pad and left-nub to move and strafe, and right nub to mouse look, and shoulders to fire and jump and suddenly its pretty good. You can't top keyb/mouse for Quake, but pandora is pretty good :) Quake3 multiplayer people!

Last night I played Descent 1 (D1x in fact, which is better looking than original Descent), also from Pickle; he didn't have nubs coded up yet, but I rebound the keys so it was the d-pad and some keyb keys, and it was playable.. I beet the first level in no time :)

I've fiddle with DosBox .. few weeks ago, the old X drivers, I had problems with mouse calibration; new drivers and some guidance form Pickle and Dosbox is pretty usable, and will be great soon. I played a bit of Wizardry 7 and Civ 1 and fiddled with Warcraft 2 again. Dosbox is going to be great.

(Pandora having a keyboard is a huge thing, for me. I'm also a text adventure wanker as you may know, and working on Kronos, etc. Thats coming along nicely. I also have BattleJewels working great, Hatari, and some other stuff.)

Overall I'm quite pleased, and its going to be a great system.

Its a little bulky and heavy (the battery mostly); Theres been a couple gotchas on the case, but mine's prototype and a little different than the final units, so I'm not going to go into it.

I'm a dev, so I don't notice rough edges, and I'm sure there are some on the software; but overall its working really well imho. Video is on software and not hardsware decoding, and I'm okay with that; some peopel will be pissed they can't fire up their latest h264 etc, yet. But as I've accepted current limits (since its partly my faulkt, right? :), I'm okay with those thing.s I know we'll fix it ove rtime as more eyes and hands get on board.

So dont' put it on a high horse.. some rough edges. And its great.,

(And for comparison.. go spend $500 on an Archos 5, its a fantastic device; oh wait, out of the box the damned thing barely works, you have ot patch the living hell out of it, to get it to work; and it still crashes every 10 minutes ;) Apple makes a polished first impression on people, but you get that polish because they restrict the heck out of it :)

jeff

Thanks for your stream of thought skeezix! You're making me drool over the thought of soon having my Pandora.

Skeezix you are AWESOME...thank you for the incredible amount of great works on Pandora .

Skeezix,

Thank you for your thoughts and opinion. It is much appreciated. Everyone's work on the Pandora is amazing and I think many people here take that for granted. Keep up the awesome work, but don't neglact the kids and wife in the process.

Alerino said:
whos-awesome-puppy.jpg
"You're"...

...or possibly "Whose", I suppose. I'm pretty sure skeezix owns several awesomes.

Attachments

• whos-awesome-puppy.jpg
    whos-awesome-puppy.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 91
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I'd like to add my thanks to you skeezix and all those other names that are coding, developing, whatever else, doing there thing to put all this together, reeespect

Aninhumer said:
Alerino said:
"You're"...

...or possibly "Whose", I suppose. I'm pretty sure skeezix owns several awesomes.
ITT someone who is new to the internet.

The whole point in those kinds of images is the purposefully-bad grammar or spelling.

Attachments

• whos-awesome-puppy.jpg
    whos-awesome-puppy.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 88
rabidpoobear said:

The whole point in those kinds of images is the purposefully-bad grammar or spelling.
I'd argue that bad grammar is the domain of lolcat macros, not (de)motifier posters.
But that would be a really silly argument so let's not. :p

In any case, I was just amused that it could be corrected in two different entirely valid ways.
Forgive my language nerdery :)

Aninhumer said:
rabidpoobear said:

I'd argue that bad grammar is the domain of lolcat macros, not (de)motifier posters.
But that would be a really silly argument so let's not. :p

In any case, I was just amused that it could be corrected in two different entirely valid ways.
Forgive my language nerdery :)
Ohhh, I didn't read your whole reply, I just saw "You're" and figured you were bitching about grammar.
Yeah, I see it now, that's clever :)

Thanks Jeff, it sucks that you haven't been able to enjoy your Pandora, but the community greatly appreciates all your hard work. Everyone has been working so hard lately, it actually makes me think this thing might actually be shipping soon. I'm trying not to get myself to hyped up, as I have been let down so many times over the last year, I have lost track. But it really seems like the finish line is very close, and everyone has stepped there game up, so that the launch will go well.

Hopefully a few other developers will chime in with there 1 month opinions. I would really like to hear from Zod, and see some PSX vids as well. Thanks to all, here's hoping for some april 1 deliveries!

Chris

Bump.

Sorry if I caused you to revisit with no news, but I'm hoping we'll get another review with a bit of luck.

Mine is typically lying on the table running some minimal kernel to debug some driver or app in isolated environment:
cp05.jpg

Still have to use the devboard occasionally because the cased unit has broken wifi and different LCD. Haven't really played much of anything on my unit due to lack of time, but tested Q3, N64 and some other stuff.

Attachments

• cp05.jpg
    cp05.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 86
Back