Add Firewire

Chip said:
eSATA is faster than firewire 800, and by the time 1600/3200 makes it to market, it will already be irrelevant due to USB 3.0 and possibly even lightpeak.
:)

>_<

.. gotta not ask stoopid ...

:eek:

can we have?

:( Damn! <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
rabidpoobear said:
Poem58 said:
Edit: My cancorder downloads through firewire, and yeah I would think that the Pandora probably wouldn't be too useful. I guess though that maybe it would be possible just to transfer the DVI video to say a 32GB card if it could even handle the bandwidth. But that's a wonky and expensive, however admittedly useful thought for someone maybe, but not me.
By DVI do you mean digital video? because DVI means digital video interconnect and I don't think cams have DVI ports on them.

non-HD video is only like 5-10 mbit/s isn't it? seems like there's plenty of bandwidth then. The idea would be to strap it to the cam and have it dump video direct to a 500 gb 2.5" drive or something like that. Look up how much devices to record firewire to a hard drive portably cost. they're very expensive.

The last 480p Mini-DV camera I tried was DV 40mbit.

H.264 720p 15mbit looks better. :lol:

Chip said:
But since you asked so nicely, we'll stop everything and do a complete redesign to add a dead interconnect just so you can jailbreak your iphone. :rolleyes:

It's nice to see Chip's posts again. I do like his directness. :)

Instead of a Firewire revisioning how about make the Pandora stylus hollow so it can be used for slurping mocha lattes at Starbucks.

rmm21 said:
Instead of a Firewire revisioning how about make the Pandora stylus hollow so it can be used for slurping mocha lattes at Starbucks.

Heathen! Tim's!

Oh, and apparently that Mini-DV camera was 480i. So much worse. ;)

Kramy said:
rmm21 said:

Heathen! Tim's!

Heathen! Mocha latte isn't a drink! It's just a mocha!

WizardStan said:
oler said:
haha nice one
btw is the pandora hardware open source?
Like, can i get the schematics, gerber files and such?
No. There's enough information for modders to plug all kinds of stuff into it, but they want to discourage clones. They've invested a lot of money into it and would like to make back that money first.
Even if you had the schematics, it's an 8 layer board, and quite complex; you'd be hard pressed to find a shop that could produce one off for you at a reasonable price.

I'm not talking about letting a whole new board produced, just tap in to a few points to go to a clip-on firewire board.
Can you tell me where that information is?

oler said:
I'm not talking about letting a whole new board produced, just tap in to a few points to go to a clip-on firewire board.

Oh yes, the 'magical' points that connect to a similarly magical 'clip-on firewire board' you find everywhere.

Come on! They don't exist. You can get firewire interfaces for what, PCI, cardbus or expresscard slots only? The Pandora has NONE of those, and you aren't going to get them by soldering on a few wires (or a hundred, for that matter.)

The only high-speed accessory bus the Pandora has is USB. Live with it.

oler said:
Not on hand. The board has changed since last time it was posted. MWeston will no doubt give an update at some point in the near future, now that things are ready to start shipping.
That being said, the OMAP doesn't have a firewire port on it for you to just clip-on to. It has USB and SPI/I2C lines you could use, but those are too slow for most firewire applications.
There are some exposed GPIO lines, however. In theory you could write a driver that would pulse those GPIO lines with the proper timing entirely in software. Even if you could, such software would seriously tax the CPU.
If you're lucky, you might be able to find (or build) a standalone firewire board which takes and dumps data in parallel. That'd be a lot faster. Assuming some of the parallelized GPIO lines are still available, that is. They may not be.
Long story short, firewire requires a lot of bandwidth, and even if you add it, there may not be enough CPU power to do anything with it.

Drack said:
No. Firewire cannot be added to the Pandora in any way.
what a bummer.
Ill go ask on TI forums to be sure.

This forum told you that what you wanted was impossible, so you're going off to another forum to try and convince someone else to tell you that it isn't?

facepalm.jpg

What are you going to do even if someone at the TI forums says it can be done?
Are you going to redo your entire mobo to try at paths and hardware for a useless dying technology?

Yep, FireW is good, but google USB 3 or 3.0.

USB to Firewire convertors won't work? I'm sure they will .. whether they'll be useful, though, is a matter of software and what you want to do, Firewire-wise. Audio? Not gonna work easily. Video? Could work .. could work .. Disk storage? Probably would work!

Ouch harsh words. I thought the guy was just asking if he could mod it on the board?

As for Apple dumping firewire, they have not, its still on all professional machines. USB might look fast on paper but is slow when copying lots of small files (lots of io).

torpor said:
USB to Firewire convertors won't work? I'm sure they will ..

Perhaps... if they existed. At least, I can't seem to find any (except a firewire video to usb video converter, which is no longer made.)

TI knows there products.
If anyone knows how to do it if possible it will be those guys, the creators of the Beagleboard, the Pandora or Gumstix which all use the OMAP 35xx.
I bet nobody on this thread has helped with the hardware design of the Pandora.
For the third time already, i was going to use it with Winlockpwn which relies on firewire's dma access feature.
I dont't think there are any real working usb to firewire converters.
If you have any proof that there is a working one, please show me.
Other ideas are welcome too.

kingoddball said:
What are you going to do even if someone at the TI forums says it can be done?
Are you going to redo your entire mobo to try at paths and hardware for a useless dying technology?

Yep, FireW is good, but google USB 3 or 3.0.

Winlockpwn is not useless, does any version of usb give u dma acces?
usb 3.0 is much harder to implement since it is such a new technologie, unless the Pandora has a pcie slot of course.
btw there are hardly 3 manufacturers who sell it already.

Back