Adding To Hosts

sparkymark

Website
Visit site
Hi,

everytime I start up my pandy, it throws up an error saying cannot resolve mark-openpandora and that I need to add it to my hosts file.

I can't access the hosts file, haven't got the permissions or the access to change them? Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers

Mark

You need to be "Super User" in order to change certain files. However it sounds like the initial setup didn't complete correctly for you to be getting this error. You can try to fix it yourself, but I think I'd reflash the firmware and start over.

If you feel like you want to try and fix it yourself, either:

A ) Open a terminal and type "sudo mousepad /etc/hosts" without the quotes
B ) Hit Alt-F2 to open the application launcher dialog and type "sudo mousepad /etc/hosts" without the quotes

It's generally a bad idea to open a super user file manager unless you absolutely have to, but you can by issuing a "sudo thunar".
*** DANGER WILL ROBINSON *** a super user file manager will allow you to cripple your system, requiring a reflash if you alter or delete important system files. Of course so does Windows Explorer, eh?

sparkymark said:
I can't access the hosts file, haven't got the permissions or the access to change them? Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Mark

hmm. I don't know what editing you need to do, but to edit a file you can launch a terminal and type: sudo mousepad. This will ask you for your password and start up a text editor in admin mode. You will be able to load and edit any file you like for there!

Last edited by a moderator:
This error is caused by an out of date file, sorry, a few units will have this error as we discovered we had used an older firmware.

Just flash the latest one.

My /etc/hosts has one line:

Code:
127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain    localhost    <name of pandora goes here>

I guess yours is missing that last part, which is odd as I'd have thought the start-up/install thing should have added it.

craigix said:
This error is caused by an out of date file, sorry, a few units will have this error as we discovered we had used an older firmware.

umm, wheres that then?

sparkymark said:
craigix said:

umm, wheres that then?
Here is the firmware and install instructions.

Back