Additional Questions & Suggestions to help generate more pre orders.

Mr_Loon

Can't Remember
Some additional questions for the Pre Order FAQ :
  • When do you plan to find out if the 4GB Version works correctly + what impact it has on battery life & performance (compared to swap file)?

• Do the prices quoted include delivery charges?

• If not what would the delivery charge be to Country X?

• What are the goals for the pre orders? e.g. If we get X pre orders for the US Mobile edition we’ll be able to make that edition, if we get Y total pre orders we’ll be able to sell future units from stock etc.

• What is the time limit for pre ordering? i.e. Will pre orders be kept open until a certain number of units are sold or is there a fixed time limit beyond which pre orders will not be taken?

• Who is this Evil Dragon guy and why should I trust him with my money?
Clarification required :
  • When you say 'The Mobile Edition adds mobile internet (3G/4G), GPS as well as different sensors (Altometer, Hygrometer, Barometer, Compass)' do you mean that these sensors are different to the Altometer, Hygrometer, Barometer, Compass sensors on the standard edition or that (as suspected) these sensors do not appear on the standard edition? If the latter is the case then please consider changing the wording to something like : 'The Mobile Edition features mobile internet (3G/4G), as well as additional sensors (GPS, Altometer, Hygrometer, Barometer, Compass)
General Questions to ED :
  • If as suspected the ‘different’ sensors + GPS do not appear on the standard edition, what was the thinking behind only including them with the Mobile edition?

• Based on the fact that over 97% of pre orders are for the 4GB version is it worth considering making 4GB the default option and scrapping the 2GB option?

• Would you like some help with wording on the English Pre Order Page? Don't get me wrong it's OK as it is, however there are certain parts that could benefit from additional clarity, especially if you're hoping to attract pre orders from people who have not closely followed the project.

• Would you like some help translating the Pre Order pages / FAQ into other languages? Spanish, French & Japanese spring to mind.

• When do you plan to distribute the Dev units?
General suggestions to ED :
  • Have a prominent link to the pre order page on the Forum

• Have a link to Pyra on the Nav bar for Dragonbox shop (along with Pandora, Consoles, Retro etc.)
  • Display the pre order count, perhaps using this script, on a prominent position on the pre order page.

I reckon that answers / clarification to the above might help to generate additional pre orders. There will be a subset of people who like to know exactly what they are ordering (will the 4GB model work?) and exactly what their order will cost (delivery charges).

There will also be a large number of potential customers who have never heard of ED and be unaware of the amazing work he did resurrecting & supporting the Pandora.

Anyone got any additional questions / suggestions that might help generate more pre orders?

Last edited:
Based on the fact that over 97% of pre orders are for the 4GB version is it worth considering making 4GB the default option and scrapping the 2GB option?

In case the 2GB - Version gets scraped, there are actually more questions to be answered:

• What happens to the people that preordered the 2GB-Versions?
  • Do they get there money back?
  • Is there a way to switch the preorder from 2GB to the respective 4GB - Version?

I hope EvilDragon and his team dont scrap the 2GB - Version. Like i sayed in another thread, the 2GB are in my opinion fine for the most tasks of a handheld.
If you need more, there is always the option to mount a partition of a SD(XC/HC) - Card as swap.

In case the 2GB - Version gets scraped, there are actually more questions to be answered:

• What happens to the people that preordered the 2GB-Versions?
  • Do they get there money back?
  • Is there a way to switch the preorder from 2GB to the respective 4GB - Version?

I hope EvilDragon and his team dont scrap the 2GB - Version. Like i sayed in another thread, the 2GB are in my opinion fine for the most tasks of a handheld.
If you need more, there is always the option to mount a partition of a SD(XC/HC) - Card as swap.

The pre-order is just a "gift card"
I'd assume you could put your gift card towards the 4gig model if the 2gb model were to not be put into production

General Questions to ED :
  • If as suspected the ‘different’ sensors + GPS do not appear on the standard edition, what was the thinking behind only including them with the Mobile edition?
I'm not ED, but my understanding is those sensors come on the same chip as the mobile connectivity, and the standard edition omits this chip from being populated. The board layout is tailored to fit this chip so it'd be hard and expensive to add other chips to add back features if mobile internet is not included (but a user could add them back as USB or bluetooth peripherals fairly easily).

I'm not ED, but my understanding is those sensors come on the same chip as the mobile connectivity, and the standard edition omits this chip from being populated.
That was my understanding as well. The difference is just one chip, but that chip contains a lot of functionality.

The GPS is on the cell modem; the other sensors are all on a different chip. Not populating these two chips saves about 100EUR.
Presumably also the extra sensors are a bit of an enticement to get more people to buy the mobile version, like if they were on the fence and couldn't decide if the extra cost justified the cell modem, now they can say it also has a bunch of extra sensors for more "phone like" experience.

The pre-order is just a "gift card"
I'd assume you could put your gift card towards the 4gig model if the 2gb model were to not be put into production
Thats true, but like me, the 12 other people (at this time) have there reasons to preorder a 2GB Version.

If ED and his team decide not to produce a 2GB - Version, just to save a little money on production, the customers should have the chance to get there money back. Thats why i asked the 3 questions earlier.

If there would be no refund option in such a case, that would be a big dick move.
Forcing the costumers to pay more then they agreed, or to be stuck with a nearly useless 330€ Gift Code.
In one way or the other, the money would be gone. And that without the customers getting what they have preordered.

Thats true, but like me, the 12 other people (at this time) have there reasons to preorder a 2GB Version.

If ED and his team decide not to produce a 2GB - Version, just to save a little money on production, the customers should have the chance to get there money back. Thats why i asked the 3 questions earlier.

If there would be no refund option in such a case, that would be a big dick move.
Forcing the costumers to pay more then they agreed, or to be stuck with a nearly useless 330€ Gift Code.
In one way or the other, the money would be gone. And that without the customers getting what they have preordered.

ED has a long history of doing the right thing. IMHO you have nothing to worry about and may be falling into Mr_Loon's fear mongering and decent sowing passive-aggressive trap. There are a whole lot of irrational IFs involved in getting to the conclusion on your last line. ED is a solid stand up guy. You can trust him. You're not going to get to your last line conditions.

What if he just sends a 4GB version for the same price as the 2GB to those of you who ordered a 2GB?

ED has a long history of doing the right thing. IMHO you have nothing to worry about and may be falling into Mr_Loon's fear mongering and decent sowing passive-aggressive trap. There are a whole lot of irrational IFs involved in getting to the conclusion on your last line. ED is a solid stand up guy. You can trust him. You're not going to get to your last line conditions.
You are maybe right. In all the presentations i have seen about the pyra, ED sounded like he knows what he is doing.
That was what motivated me to preorder one. But 595€ is still a lot of money for me and naturaly i'm a bit tense about that.
(I'm kind of new to this whole Community- and Croudfunding thing.)

What if he just sends a 4GB version for the same price as the 2GB to those of you who ordered a 2GB?
Well for the 2GB customers that would be great. The only question would be, how much it would influence the rest of the production cost. Since now you would sell 4GB of ram for the price of 2GB.

Well for the 2GB customers that would be great. The only question would be, how much it would influence the rest of the production cost. Since now you would sell 4GB of ram for the price of 2GB.

Not much, likely. There's only 13 of them. I'm also not suggesting he do that, what he does is up to him.

You are maybe right. In all the presentations i have seen about the pyra, ED sounded like he knows what he is doing.
That was what motivated me to preorder one. But 595€ is still a lot of money for me and naturaly i'm a bit tense about that.
(I'm kind of new to this whole Community- and Croudfunding thing.)

If it helps your nerves at all, I'm in for more than double what you paid and ordered when there was a lot more risk involved. I'm confident that ED will deliver on the hardware.

To set expectations, keep in mind that the software is going to be pretty rough initially. For example, although a unit may be equipped with the mobile radio module and all of it's sensors, having an interface for it to send a text message may be months out. (hypothetical example - for all I know this already works and someone may have the perfect interface). The more Pyras, the more people using them, the more likely that things get developed - it's a symbiotic cycle.

If it helps your nerves at all, I'm in for more than double what you paid and ordered when there was a lot more risk involved. I'm confident that ED will deliver on the hardware.

To set expectations, keep in mind that the software is going to be pretty rough initially. For example, although a unit may be equipped with the mobile radio module and all of it's sensors, having an interface for it to send a text message may be months out. (hypothetical example - for all I know this already works and someone may have the perfect interface). The more Pyras, the more people using them, the more likely that things get developed - it's a symbiotic cycle.
Yes.

There just have to be one dick who sues ED for sending him a 4GB device instead of a 2GB one...

Back