Adobe Annouce 'full-Fat' Flash Support For Arm!

Caynustar

Still Fresh
Just bring you guys the most recent news which is bound to make a lot of people happy!

I got it all from here, just now!

http://channel.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=20548

Ian Drew said:
Delivering a highly responsive, uncompromised Web and rich media experience to consumer devices and the digital home is a key focus for ARM. The Open Screen Project with Adobe enables ARM and our partners to optimize and deploy Flash Player 10.1 across ARM Powered® devices, freeing content to reach users on a range of devices.

David Wadhwani said:
With ARM as the leading platform provider for smartphones, it’s clear that there is a strong opportunity to extend the architecture to other, fast-growing device categories. The close collaboration between ARM and Adobe ensures that users will be able to experience uncompromised browsing of rich applications, content and HD video across smartphones, smartbooks, netbooks, televisions and many other Internet connected devices in the future.

So, now the remaining questions are:
  1. When's there gonna be a public build?
  2. Is it portable to the Pandora?

BTW, here's the unbiased announcement:
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200910/100509AFPforMobileDevicesandPCs.html

Some answers:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this too, what interests me most though is this 'Open Screen Project', I think it would be worth it for OpenPandora to look into joining.
How to apply

Open Screen Project partners are leading companies in the mobile, desktop, and device ecosystems, each contributing unique knowledge and expertise in an environment of collaborative innovation.
What you get

Benefits of participation in the Open Screen Project include:

* The ability to take advantage of innovative content and applications created by developers leveraging the Flash Platform
* A royalty-free license to the next major releases of the Adobe® Flash® Player and Adobe AIR™ runtimes for devices
* Promotion through the Open Screen Project website, PR, and marketing efforts
* License rights to use the Open Screen Project and Adobe Flash logo and assets

What you give

Chipset vendors, original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), operators, content providers, and developers committed to the Open Screen Project are working together to:

* Provide a consistent open runtime environment across devices to drive rapid innovation that will ultimately be good for consumers
* Ensure that applications and video work smoothly across multiple devices and that content is easily available across those devices

To reach these goals, it's expected that Open Screen Project partners will commit to:

* Distributing the next major releases of Adobe Flash Player and AIR on Internet-enabled devices
* Implementing Flash Player and AIR in a manner that is consistent, updatable, and addressable by third-party developers
* Publicly supporting the Open Screen Project

Partners are recommended to contribute to the Open Screen Project Fund to fuel innovation in content and applications. Content providers and developers are encouraged to create content and applications targeting multiple devices using the Adobe Flash Platform.
Apply to join the Open Screen Project

If you're interested in participating in the Open Screen Project, please fill out this form to apply.

It'd be worth it for a bunch of reasons:
* open communication with adobe
* guaranteed flash support for the pandora
* maybe a little bit of publicity
* get noticed by companies that may have previously overlooked OP
* last but not least - it's kinda comical ;]

that on the day that craigix said he needed somebody to work on flash : http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49821-wanted-flash-expert/page__p__760399__fromsearch__1&#entry760399

Bosbeetle said:
that on the day that craigix said he needed somebody to work on flash : http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49821-wanted-flash-expert/page__p__760399__fromsearch__1&#entry760399
Don't think that's "it"; OP wouldn't actually need a developer if they wanted to join the Open Screen thingie.

But who knows.

dflemstr said:
Bosbeetle said:
Don't think that's "it"; OP wouldn't actually need a developer if they wanted to join the Open Screen thingie.

But who knows.

Didnt imply it was something just that is was on the same day :p

correlation.png

disclaimer: sorry for posting an xkcd comic but the "well, maybe" always cracks me up.

Bosbeetle said:
dflemstr said:
Bosbeetle said:

But who knows.

Did I imply that I thought you implied that it had something to do with the Open Screen project? :D

Awesome, now I'll be able to play the Mata Nui Online Game on my Pandora! :D The whole point-and-click gameplay will work well with touch screen... ^^

one word... bejewelled! my life is complete...

also peggle etc good stuff.
i assume the alot of the wii arcade flash games would work too.

dflemstr said:
Bosbeetle said:
dflemstr said:
Bosbeetle said:

But who knows.

Did I imply that I thought you implied that it had something to do with the Open Screen project? :D
oops look how this backfired :lol:

calc84maniac said:
Awesome, now I'll be able to play the Mata Nui Online Game on my Pandora! :D The whole point-and-click gameplay will work well with touch screen... ^^

Can you still play the original? I loved that one. The second one, however, I never got out of Ga-Koro, because I couldn't figure out how to start the Kohli matches. :\

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
calc84maniac said:

Can you still play the original? I loved that one. The second one, however, I never got out of Ga-Koro, because I couldn't figure out how to start the Kohli matches. :\

-God Ginrai
Yeah, the second one was full of glitches. :( But LEGO released an offline version of the first one in 2006. I just checked and it's now been removed from the site to make way for new content... but I found a download here. :D

Flash needs to die a horrible death asap. But I still welcome this, it's about time. Now they need to get 64 bit Flash from pre-release to fully-fledged release. Then I'll have slightly more respect for it.

kaprikawn said:
Flash needs to die a horrible death asap.
I humbly disagree. Adobe simply needs to release their players as open source for the community to fix for them.

I have to say, despite the often-heard baying for Flash's blood, I'm happier with Flash than I ever was with how it was only five or six years ago... Am I the only one who doesn't miss, for example, running into Microsoft Windows Media format videos (for trailers and whatnot) all the time? It used to be a nuisance, at least from this non-Windows-user's perspective. :p

I'm not saying I adore Flash, per se, but I'm glad to hear this - it should hopefully open up some more potential for my usage of the Pandora.

EDIT:
WizardStan said:
kaprikawn said:
Flash needs to die a horrible death asap.
I humbly disagree. Adobe simply needs to release their players as open source for the community to fix for them.
+1

I have to agree with everyone else that Flash is a big black hole that causes more trouble than it's worth in some cases. I actually prefer Silverlight/Moonlight to Flash just because it's an open standard.

If the Flash folks were to open-source Flash, imagine what that would mean for the web... ActionScript could be an alternative to JavaScript (you would write <script type="text/actionscript">...), you could include a flash applet just by pasting its source code into a HTML document (of course fixing references to images and whatnot) etc.

Adobe did open the specs for the flash file formats.

Nobody seemed to do anything with them.

Back