Adobe Reader!

abertalia

Website
Visit site
I had an idea for an app which would be an adobe reader. So people can read all the articles and help turtorials others made that are on the archive(Including any other adobe document) right on their 2X! What do you think? I'm not sure if it's possible or whatever.....

Shifty posted on Feb 25 2007 at 09:31 AM said:
I had an idea for an app which would be an adobe reader. So people can read all the articles and help turtorials others made that are on the archive(Including any other adobe document) right on their 2X! What do you think? I'm not sure if it's possible or whatever.....

What, like this sort of thing?

(I am so biting my (virtual) tongue right now)

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though this isnt exactly related to topic. Adobe reader is a god aweful piece of bloatware, why anyone with an anounce of brain uses it is beyond me. You should be using foxit reader, its about 5% of the size adobe reader is, it runs 100% faster and its free without ugly ads to buy more adobe junk, google it.

Yorper posted on Feb 25 2007 at 11:09 AM said:
Even though this isnt exactly related to topic. Adobe reader is a god aweful piece of bloatware, why anyone with an anounce of brain uses it is beyond me. You should be using foxit reader, its about 5% of the size adobe reader is, it runs 100% faster and its free without ugly ads to buy more adobe junk, google it.
Whilst I agree with you, and I use Foxit Reader myself (and have done so since at least version 1.3), it's unfortunately not 100% compatible with all PDFs that otherwise work properly in Acrobat Reader, so there's still a place for the 'official' one.

So yeah - Foxit ftw, unless it doesn't work.

[edit] BTW, Adobe Acrobat Reader v8.0.... 20MB for a READER???!!! [/edit]

Line O posted on Feb 25 2007 at 02:06 AM said:
Whilst I agree with you, and I use Foxit Reader myself (and have done so since at least version 1.3), it's unfortunately not 100% compatible with all PDFs that otherwise work properly in Acrobat Reader,

If people want to create pdf's that dont keep to the pdf v1.6 standards thats upto them. Adobe reader will display any old crap, much like Internet Explorer will do. You'll never catch me using a browser other than firefox though (the fact i use linux is irrelivant on this matter, but still....), if people want to create slop then thats upto them, i dont want to read or view it ;)

Though not everyone wants to keep to standards with their software and documents and are quite happy to produce crap, so to each their own. But everyone using windows should drop adobe and use foxit.

Thanks for the heads-up on Foxit, Yorper, I installed it and it is indeed much kinder on my system. I'll still keep Adobe's reader around just in case, but I'll use Foxit from now on :)

- Alex

Glad you like it Alex, ive yet to find someone that actually prefers adobe over it. I'm forever telling windows users about it, just a shame its not all that well known because its an amazing little pdf reader.

I'm getting Foxit just for the hell of it, because I've always hated Adobe ever since they purchased Macromedia. (Down with big corprations!)

Not only is Adobe a stupid size to download, and takes a ridiculous amount of space on your hd, it also takes an age to load due to it loading an stupid amount of "extension plugins" that no one actually wants or uses.

/me goes to investigate fox it.

First impressions are that it is indeed quick, but I miss Adobe's search dialog where it gives you a list of all the lines your search phrase was found, along with the words around the search phrase.

Also, I tried it on a number of documents, but it seemed to constantly want to download more modules to read them, despite the fact it seemed to render them fine without. Can I tell it not to do this?

I use foxit all the time at home as it uses much less memory, but I had to stop using it at work after it didn't show a load of text on an important document and I almost made us look silly...
If people want to create pdf's that dont keep to the pdf v1.6 standards thats upto them.
- correct, but it doesn't help you when you're trying to read a document made by someone else.

Back