Adobe Reader

Adobe reader's startup time is absurdly long. Between that, and Adobe's penchant for pushing a mandatory update every goddamn time you open the program, I'd rather chew fiberglass than use it. I switched to PDF Xchange years ago and I will never, ever install Adobe again. It opens instantaneously and has never once pestered me for an update.

Creature XL said:
If you read emagz or books its often very useful to have the option "title page". If you don't have this option, ALL pages of your magazine are wrongly arranged. This is, the odd pages are on the left. In a real magazine the 1st physical page is the title page which is on the RIGHT side. Inside the magazine even pages are on the left. If you have a picture which uses the fact that page 4 is left of page 5 the picture is not viewable at once if you don't have the "title page" option.
I can't get it to do the thing you despise so much (i.e. it ALWAYS has "title page" enabled)

Creature XL said:
2nd, zooming with the mouse. I mean, you mark an rectangle and this are gets zoomed to the full size of your PDFViewer window. this is very practical when reading epaper newspapers. You can zoom the whole article (most of the time) and can read it without using the mouse or the cursor keys to pane the view.
no zooming rectangle but ctrl+scroll wheel = zoom.

Creature XL said:
oh cursor keys, this is a MINOR point. In Evinve you scroll a page with the cursor keys however, to go over to the next page you have to use the PageDown/Up keys. This is OK sometimes but annoys me most of the time. However, thi sis very minor as one can get used to it ( I guess).
And what if I want to use my keyboard to scroll a page? this is a feature and you being fairly ignorant.

Creature XL said:
If your comment about 30+ sec was ironic, I don't care. I fire up the Acrobat and just leave it. All PDFs then open in this instance. If I don't use it much, the used RAM goes into swap space, so I don't care. Even further, I don't think it takes 30 secs to load. I have 2GHz AMD Opteron ( socket 754, so pretty old). :)
It's not THAT bad but it was above 10 seconds on my system and frankly that's unacceptable when it's half a second for a regular 100kB PDF and just about 2 seconds for a 50MB PDF with Evince and I don't want to preload a damn document viewer. It's a document viewer ffs. That's like preloading notepad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both envince and adobe reader installed here. Evince is a lot faster then ar, but I sometimes need adobereader, cause else I can't read comments in some pdf. I really like kde`s okular (that is the only opensource-pdf-reader with comment-support I know), but since it would be the only kde/qt-app on my pc, it would have to many dependencies.

Chip said:
Adobe reader's startup time is absurdly long. Between that, and Adobe's penchant for pushing a mandatory update every goddamn time you open the program, I'd rather chew fiberglass than use it. I switched to PDF Xchange years ago and I will never, ever install Adobe again. It opens instantaneously and has never once pestered me for an update.
Adobe reader opens instant when you are not online ;)
IF you are online, then good night during loading.

What PDF readers are available for Linux Angstrom? is the good "foxit reader" open source?

Ick, I wouldn't want to run KDE (or even just it's background daemons) on the Pandora. The Pandora is fast, but not THAT fast, especially with the big fat blob with fat rolls spilling out of it that it is today.

Warpshade said:
...I don't think I've ever seen a holy war about PDF viewers.
Welcome to Linux! :)
There's this nutty thing about Linux where people get attached to certain programs and then go into big (but usually not mean-spirited) arguments about why it's better than the competition (of which there's a lot). It doesn't seem to happen to the same extent in Windows-land or Apple-hstan. I'm an Evince man, myself.

zhasha said:
no zooming rectangle but ctrl+scroll wheel = zoom.
Of course, now I'm wondering how that will work out without a scroll-wheel mouse. Was it ever decided whether to use the right analog nub as a scroll-wheel replacement?

Wheels said:
Welcome to Linux! :)
There's this nutty thing about Linux where people get attached to certain programs and then go into big (but usually not mean-spirited) arguments about why it's better than the competition (of which there's a lot). It doesn't seem to happen to the same extent in Windows-land or Apple-hstan. I'm an Evince man, myself.
Amazing what happens when you start to give users choice, isn't it?

I always go back to xpdf, because it always does what I want, with every file, it's fast and reliable. Acro reader is slow, and along with some others it wants to do 'partial read' or whatever it is.

xpdf for me.

(naw)mcx said:
Come on, there must be some more SumatraPDF users!?

Fuck the rest, this shit is serious.
Probably won't do much good on the Pandora since it's designed for Windows. And I haven't really used Windows since about 2007-8ish, so...

Back