Advertising (Banner,Flyer, Etc) Thread.

Here's something I had a bit of a play with...

pandora_paper.png

Don't really like the font, but the idea of slightly 8-bit looking colours on the right is nice :)

What if there was a smooth rainbow of colours at the bottom transitioning into lots of R, G, B, C, M, Y, K, White squares towards the top?

Well, a banner / ad should at least show what it's about.

The Pandora Logo will only work if the one who sees the ad already knows about it.

^ Maybe do something like a word cloud of the specs/uses? And have the website uri somewhere.

Or maybe not a word cloud but something more interesting than just listing specs/uses.

This is an great thread! I really hope to see more people take this seriously and give it a shot!

Well, a banner / ad should at least show what it's about.

The Pandora Logo will only work if the one who sees the ad already knows about it.

I agree with Ed, that this is the eventual goal, however, there is no point in throwing up text to fill in white space if the overall design has no direction.

My suggestion is to first start with message that you want to communicate in your design. Ultimately, this doesnt have to be explicitly reflected in your creation, but it creates a good starting point. "Cool looking design!" doesnt always work. Rather, try to highlight certain keywords that the Pandora embodies. Words such as: freedom, exploration, journey, empowering, open, retro ... etc.

Get an idea in your head with how think that might work, THEN research!

Check out this website for an amazing collection logos and design work, see what they did.

http://dribbble.com/

For more inspiration, this is one of my favorite magazines.

http://www.idea-mag.com/en/publication/355.php

It often features masters of design and typography. Great for inspiration.

From there, start designing. The secret is to iterate and iterate. There are millions of ways to balance even the most simple of elements. What is your goal for eye movement. Is the design balanced? USE WHITE SPACE, dont fill it up.

You can work with my my colors, or you can choose your own. Dont just stick with RGB, check out https://kuler.adobe.com/ to come up with a good combination that expresses exactly what you want it to.

Once you've come up with a design language, then you can experiment with text placement. Consider what your audience is. Is this for print? A web ad? Where will it be featured? A forum signature? Should you list the specs, or try to summarize the Pandora with a fetching tag line?

Iterate, iterate, iterate! And share!

I'm quite passionate about this whole PR thing, I'm excited there might be other people in this community who are as well.

Here's something I had a bit of a play with...

Hey, I've got some thoughts if your interested.

First, I would encourage you to keep the logo and the text the same color, unless there you have a good reason to separate them. With so many colors and things taking place (gradients, a rainbow of colors, elements off to the side) the focus really needs to be reinforced. I'd be careful with that blue and try to find another color that can be used elsewhere in the design as well.

The angled rainbow idea you have is pretty neat. Certainly has a future/retro feel to it. I'm not sure about the placement though. Perhaps move it around, scale it, try different dimensions, try repeating it in rows. Try different colors, maybe a rainbow of reds, then blues then yellows, something that can use this single element but better balance the design as a whole. I would not use the gradient on the bottom and stick with the angled rainbow as your primary design element.

Try a load of different ideas, put them up here! It's great fun to see this!

Some thoughts, and then I will try my hand at some point:

• Can we categorize these?
  • Update the original post with the submissions? (in spoiler tags)
  • Can people state whether others can modify/hitchhike off their designs? If so please post the source files containing the layers?

I am open to rebuttals and second opinions of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I've got some thoughts if your interested.
Certainly

First, I would encourage you to keep the logo and the text the same color, unless there you have a good reason to separate them. With so many colors and things taking place (gradients, a rainbow of colors, elements off to the side) the focus really needs to be reinforced. I'd be careful with that blue and try to find another color that can be used elsewhere in the design as well.
Makes sense

The angled rainbow idea you have is pretty neat. Certainly has a future/retro feel to it. I'm not sure about the placement though. Perhaps move it around, scale it, try different dimensions, try repeating it in rows. Try different colors, maybe a rainbow of reds, then blues then yellows, something that can use this single element but better balance the design as a whole. I would not use the gradient on the bottom and stick with the angled rainbow as your primary design element.
To be honest, I was just combining a bunch of ideas to get a feel. You should have seen the one before I posted that - it was litterally a "dropping ground" of ideas. This was just cutting down some of those ideas into something more "presentable". You'll probably argue I should have split them up and made several, one with each idea, but I was tired and feeling a little lazy.

I'll try and work on some more - this time seperating out ideas into seperate pieces.

Some thoughts, and then I will try my hand at some point:

• Can we categorize these?
  • Update the original post with the submissions? (in spoiler tags)
  • Can people state whether others can modify/hitchhike off their designs? If so please post the source files containing the layers?

I am open to rebuttals and second opinions of course.

I'm totally happy with people taking from and ripping up my ideas.

Here are the source PSDs.

You will also need this font, Sansation.

I did not include the PSD file for the images with the city in them because I didn't make that background. Those designs were originally for concept instead of production.

Please copy these links to the top of the page if you want to keep it accessible.

You'll probably argue I should have split them up and made several, one with each idea, but I was tired and feeling a little lazy.

Heh, I'm not gonna argue anything, glad to see folks trying stuff out.

Oh, also I ninja updated a couple of those designs up top :ph34r: , made the light one more elegant and shit.

What about a word cloud (on a white background) with the logo and "openPandora" on the centre-top-right, and surrounded by the words: retro, linux, freedom, community, emulation, nostalgia, programming, flexibility, gaming controls, keyboard, audio quality, battery life and so-on down to the tiniest details

When printed big (e.g. A0) (for exhibitions etc) there should be Easter eggs/random amusing stuff visible when looking closely (devs' names , "sudo make sandwich", "two months", "its Hitler fighting with a bear!, "never gonna give you up....", whatever)

How about something like this? Sorry it is really crap quality. I technically should be working :ph34r:

Pandora-advert.png

Trying to say Pandora is the future doesn't feel right - we should aim at flexibility and user control

Yeah, that was probably not very well symbolised. Maybe I should I have put the Pandora logo at the top - crossing all three segments, and picked something "futuristic" for the 3rd. That would imply it "fits" everywhere instead.

pandorabanner2.png

pandorabanner2medium.png

Feel free to use.

I will do new ones if anyone comes up with a conclusively better slogan :)

Back