Advice on tourism needed.

Gausen

I will be taking a training course in Vienna during next week. I might have something like 10 hours (scattered time, most of it on this Sunday and the next Saturday) to visit and watch the city. So far I have picked this places:

Stephansdom.
Schonbrunn Gardens.
Wiener Staatsoper.
Music Mile Vienna.
MUMOK.
The Giant Ferris Wheel.
Subotron gaming store.

Since this is probably the only time I will be in Vienna, I will like to know how to best use my free time. Any advice on places to visit or events to attend is really appreciated (in fact any advice on anything is welcome).

Thanks in advance!

--------------------------------------------------

The course ended by Friday 5 at noon. The free time was less than I thought but I managed to see a few things. Here is a rough list of places:

Walk on Lasallestrasse and Reichsbrucke over Donau and Neue Donau.
Mexikoplatz and Church Heiliger Franz of Assisi.
Stephansdom, Stephansplatz, Haas Haus and Staatsoper (Had a Käsekrainer, I think it was in the right place).
Prater, Giant Ferris Wheel and beers at Schweizerhaus with the colleagues, the instructors and the course director (Lots of drinks. First place goes for Russia and Polland who even had the courage to finish the session with a shot of vodka. Second place was for Hungary and Slovenia. No differences in the rest of the pack).
Walk from Vorgartenstrasse to Nestroyplatz.
Kunsthistorisches Museum.
MUMOK.

I really liked the city. People is quite friendly (is easy to find somebody's eyes and receive a courtesy smile). The food was really good also as well as the patisserie. But what liked me most was that everything seemed to be built around citizen education. There weren't restrictions being forced on, people just do what they have to. There were no shouting or car horns on the streets, even the hundzones were clean! Finally it was a nice experience and the course was excellent too.

I wanted to thank to all the fellow Pandorians that kindly advised on places to visit and things to do in Vienna. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more information would be helpful e.g. what do you like, what do you NOT like, do you also want to go out etc.

^ You are right. I like walking, silence and quiet places though I enjoy the noise and sounds of an old arcade place. Open spaces are nice too. Finally I'm open to try things that had impressed other persons before. 

There really aren't things I don't like. I'm quite a tolerant guy and I'm often enjoying same things as others (when I finally see them through their eyes) [i'm feeling a bit like a model now :wacko: ].

I liked the clubs under the subway lines. schoenbrunn garden is awesum. The castle is too. I liked it when i visited it :)

A less ambiguous topic-title would've been helpful.

I thought you where starting a tourism company or something.

I like the Flak towers (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener_Flakt%C3%BCrme) that can be found at various locations in Vienna, especially the ones in Augarten and Arenbergpark. Quite impressive standing in front of them thinking about what they symbolise.

Botanical garden is also nice during the day if you are looking for a quiet place.

For a very authentic austrian food experience go to http://www.gasthaus-kopp.at/ or http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g190454-d941719-Reviews-Zu_den_2_Lieserln-Vienna.html

or to Bierfink. The last two (especially the last one) have an amazing garden to sit outside during warmer times. If you HAVE to try Sachertorte (I think it is overrated but well...) don't get the one at Hotel Sacher, it is dry and boring, the one at the numerous Aida Cafes is better. For sweets I wouldn't recommend the traditional Mozartkugeln but Mannerschnitten and especially Schwedenbomben.

Also make sure to have a Käsekrainer Hotdog at the Würstelstand opposite of the Opera Building (close to Elisabethstraße) or, even better, the one at Thaliastraße (the one closer to the Tram/Bus Station, not the one behind it).

If it is a nice evening you might also enjoy walking along Donaukanal, numerous bars and clubs there on both sides. For Icecream stop by Schwedenplatz, the one close to the UBahn is more traditional and creamy (lots of chocolate) the other one very italian in style.

Last but not least, if you are into music, there are ALWAYS concerts going on, check out falter.at or google to find out what is going on while you are here.

Last but not least, on a clear night take the bus from Ottakring up to Schloss Wilhelminenberg and enjoy the awesome view over Vienna (bring a cold beer or some nice company and a bottle of red wine to enjoy even more *g*)

Enjoy!

^ Wow! That's a lot of really detailed and useful information. Really appreciated, thank you (special mention goes to the gastronomy info, it will be wisely used  ^_^ ).

Back