Aesthetic Appeal/Presentation...

Kyosys said:
In fact, I hate the fact that my DS is shiny, there's fingerprints _EVERYWHERE_
Totally agree. Shiny sucks, the fingerprints bug me, but unfortunately my lazyness in not wiping down my DS whenever I'm done with it overrides my irritation with it, so it's generally a smudgy mess. Same for my black PSP.

Do we actually know if it'll be dull or shiny?

Its NOT glossy from what I am told. Maybe I got my facts wrong....but to me...
I don't care who says "WOW...that looks hot."

I want people to say "Wow....it can do that??? No $hit."

I have an Onda Mp4 player. Very nice looking glossy player with full scale video playback.
The device looks awesome....the functionality is only worth half of what it looks like.....
Sorry folks but its whats under the hood that counts. You can keep the sleek slimline's ...
Gimme a handheld I can actually hold and use hours on end without breaking a shoulder button or throwing a stick.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Guys, keep in mind that the only thing we know about it now is the shape. Craig has said some things that could be interpreted as it being more glossy, which of course isn't shown at all by any renders. Just hold your horses, when the final cases are shown this month we can have a solid verdict. I'm just saying, like the others, don't let those renders fool you. Or do, and then be pleasantly surprised. :p
Oooh, I'm hoping for metallic hot purple...
Hope, Hope, Hope.
If not, any of these colors will do:
sto7.jpg

j/k
Seriously, though, the black clamshell is fine with me.
Its like running a Subaru Impreza WRX turbo wagon.
Nobody knows what you got at the traffic light, until you launch.

I'd actually like to see what sort of Pandora logo will be printed on the outside casing.

please, be matte. this is something that will literally be spending hours and hours in my hands. i would prefer not to get pandora all sweaty, fingerprinted, and dirty.

PoisonedV said:
i wish they would have made it look like this:
[youtube]DMAo2kyP2WQ[/youtube]

Oh god, no. :) I don't want bright shiny leds going straight for my eyes. Icky.

Also, and whilst I'm aware that they wont suck up that much juice, I'd rather the juice they suck up go to better things. :)

p.

okay the shape and design are fine, and it looks like most people don't want it to be touched up... isn't that all that matters? Those who really want a "prettier" one can send it somewhere or paint the case themselves since as I understand it's designed to be easily disassembled.

iJeff said:
I'd actually like to see what sort of Pandora logo will be printed on the outside casing.
If any at all. I'm personally in the camp that doesn't want any logo printed on the case :)

I actually made an account to post on this one because I feel something eye catching is important for the pandora. Sort of like how alienware has the alienhead and the ds has the two square logo on the lid. I know its' not neccesary and it might not attract the kind of people we want for this community, but something that makes the pandora stand out is important to the future sales of the pandora. It doesnt have to be glowing lights or racing stripes or something like that but a small touch like a logo on the lid should be sufficient.

jadawg said:
I actually made an account to post on this one because I feel something eye catching is important for the pandora. Sort of like how alienware has the alienhead and the ds has the two square logo on the lid. I know its' not neccesary and it might not attract the kind of people we want for this community, but something that makes the pandora stand out is important to the future sales of the pandora. It doesnt have to be glowing lights or racing stripes or something like that but a small touch like a logo on the lid should be sufficient.

Absolutely correct, the Pandora better have it's logo engraved or printed on the front.

downsider002 said:
jadawg said:

Absolutely correct, the Pandora better have it's logo engraved or printed on the front.
how the hell would that attract anyone? as far as I understand, those are branded on stuff just so people know its not a ripoff- essentially to brag about your game system which again we dont need. if someone knows what the pandora logo is, seeing it again wont make them instantly buy it.
and no one is going to see a logo and decide to ask what the handheld is.

PoisonedV said:
downsider002 said:
jadawg said:

how the hell would that attract anyone? as far as I understand, those are branded on stuff just so people know its not a ripoff- essentially to brag about your game system which again we dont need. if someone knows what the pandora logo is, seeing it again wont make them instantly buy it.
and no one is going to see a logo and decide to ask what the handheld is.

Im not going to pretend to be an expert on advertising and what not but to me a logo sort of gives the product its identity. Its' part of what seperates it from other consoles and cheap chinese knockoffs. Like you said it wont instantly make someone buy it but I do think that it will get people to ask what it is. Otherwise and im sure ill get alot of crap for this, people might think its just a knockoff DS lite. Atleast when its closed. It wont exactly get people hopping to buy it but it cant hurt.

downsider002 said:

From an advertising standpoint, that's fair enough. From a personal standpoint, I'm not anybody's walking (or gaming) billboard so if it IS there I hope it's respectful of that. Too many companies aren't. :(

P.

I'm a graphic artist and have designed many different logos for businesses, teams and organizations. I like the simplicity of the Pandora logo. I took the time to add a design element that gives it a metallic of look that hopefully conveys its utility and form. I would be open to help out in any way that I can in the visual marketing and branding of this great device if the developers were interested.

It's nice and all, but it's too much. The flat, simple Pandora logo emphasizes the simplicity of the device's design. Sprucing it up a bit isn't a bad thing, but your design took it a bit too far. Flatten out the curves on the logo and totally flatten the text and you'll have a much better image.

Im not going to pretend to be an expert on advertising and what not but to me a logo sort of gives the product its identity. Its' part of what seperates it from other consoles and cheap chinese knockoffs. Like you said it wont instantly make someone buy it but I do think that it will get people to ask what it is. Otherwise and im sure ill get alot of crap for this, people might think its just a knockoff DS lite. Atleast when its closed. It wont exactly get people hopping to buy it but it cant hurt.

But cheap Chinese knockoffs tend to love the logos. It's only the actual company branding that tells you it's real. And even then, I always think whenever I see massive brand logos on my products "How bloody arrogant." In fact, knockoffs tend to do similar logos that look so much like the original, from a distance you can think it's real.

wow, im glad to see an extra couple of pages added to this debate during my absence as i think it's an important one ^^
i've said all my points already, so i don't really have anything to add, apart from i really love your logo design think_tanker, maybe without the text though? i personally think just the logo by itself would be enough. also, someone earlier on said something about maybe a slim/lite version being released in a year or two's time that would put more emphasis on external design - that would be my guess too, and like you, i'd probably upgrade.
and the last thing i'd like to add it, i really don't think you can just dismiss external design as something for kids - anyone developing a product anywhere would agree with me - i understand this community, but im guessing the makers of pandora would eventually like to increase their market

I like the way there is no BIG brand on it. Therefore it will be MY device, not MS or Apple or whatever's one.
I like the way it's quite anonymous. I will customize it my way (stickers/else/nothing).
Even if i want it to be "well finished". I'm waiting for an actual photo.

Back