Pandora Questions?

aardbark

Still Fresh
Im looking to buy a Pandora or Caanoo.

I was just wondering if games that were made for the Caanoo would work on the Pandora?

Games like http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-d1-49-en-70-3trk.html

Im sorta new to this thing. I have a PSP with nes, snes, gba, genessis, ps1, and some n64 emulators on it. Which all run just fine. Is it worth it to buy either one of these systems (Caanoo or Pandora) and which one should I get?

For games like that, the easy answer is "no". (There are distant possibilities, but lets not go there, assume no.)

For homebrew/opensource, its entirely likely a port to Pandora (or vice versa) would happen, but it depends on developer interest of course.

They're pretty different beasties (with some overlap of course), so try to mull through your usage scenarios, see what sort of thing you actually need and want :)

jeff

The Game in the Link isnt for the Cannoo, its for the Wiz, and i think Ginge hase some Wiz Support, meybe it would work, but i dont know..

aardbark said:
Im sorta new to this thing. I have a PSP with nes, snes, gba, genessis, ps1, and some n64 emulators on it. Which all run just fine. Is it worth it to buy either one of these systems (Caanoo or Pandora) and which one should I get?

I had a PSP, and used it for all those emulators too. For me, the thing I'm most excited for about the Pandora is being able to play those games with GOOD controls. The squishy, horrible d pad on the PSP just didn't cut it for me. Also, I've been out of the PSP scene for a while, but I'd bet money that n64 on the Pandora is leagues ahead of where it is on the PSP (even though the PSP n64 has had a couple years of development).

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a pretty tough choice; the PSP for all its age and warts is a pretty good kit, even today. Certainly there are some good titles on it, and the PS1 emulation is pretty tops. So don't get rid of the PSP (I didn't ;)

That said, the Pandora and Wiz do a very good job with nes, snes, gba, genesis, and even ps1; N64 is pretty wonky on PSP due to PSP limits, but is pretty good (for some games at least) on Pandora.

The Caanoo doesn't have much for it yet(its brand new!), but assuming it picks up the Wiz and gp2x heritage it will have very good emus for nes, snes, gba, genesis and probably even ps1 (though I wouldn't know.) I doubt n64 will be useful on caanoo.

Caanoo/Wiz and Pandora overlap at the emus, and both have good controls for such things (noting the different ergonomics.. clamshell versus candybar style devices); The pandora has more tech in it (faster cpu, larger screen res, more general capabilities, keyboard, etc), but you have to examine your price points and interests. Do you want a more general device (thats a little larger and pricier) that is great at gaming, or do you want a device that is only good at sed gaming, but is a little smaller, etc?

Caanoo is excellent (it really is, I just got one, and it _feels_ damned fine), and Pandora is excellent (much more capable a device really); Wiz is excellent (more or less similar to Caanoo spec wise, but tinier and the older model; I'd take a Caanoo unless pocketability is a concern, Caanoo is slightly smaller than a PSP, but Wiz is like a GBA Micro more or less.)

It is a tough choice my friend :) But it depends.. if you plan to be carrying something around in your pocket all day and need it in tight spaces? do you want to use it for wifi web browsing or AIM or the like? watch high def movies or not?..

jeff

Cool, thanks for all the helpfull responces.

If that game is for the Wiz, will it also work on the Caanoo? I love action rpgs. Seems kind of silly if the system cant play its predisesors games.

As for what I want it for, its acualy kinda hard to say. I love gizmos and electronics. I spend hours with them just messing around and seeing what they can do. (My favroite thing so far is playing Left 4 Dead on the psp) Size and bulkyness dont really matter. For a while I had a OQO Model 2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OQO but I had to sell it to pay for emergancy car repairs. It seems the Pandora is inferior to that oqo as far as computeing power goes, but the pandora has better controls for gameing. What would be really cool is a playable Dreamcast emulator. Playable meaning no or little slowdown.

I dont really care about high def movies, aim would be nice as would web browsing, but thats just fluff. What I mostly want it for, is games I dont have access to on my psp. The GP2X games, like the ones on the FunGP website. If the Pandora can run those games, then that it would be an easy choice between Caanoo and Pandora.

Oh, and another question I just thought of. Would either system be able to run something like Steam? And some of the more simple games that are on there?

All of these machines are ARM based (not x86 based), and so will not run Steam or x86 based games (excepting very old x86 games that can run in Dosbox.)

OQO (and Sony UX and Wibrain etc) are all awesome, but the point here is gaming controls :) IT is way more economical to get a netbook, or more general to get a palmtop etc, but if you want gaming controls.. its a whole other story :) Likewise, if you're into hacking and open, thats why we're all here :)

jeff

Back