Agapito: A New Game

Hi everybody!

I'm the agapito's programmer and I'd like to thank you for your support and your ideas.
I've read some comments about wich seems to be the filosofy of the game and.. waw! you've guessed!
When I was a child I love platformer games but I only had a PC to play them and programmers of pc games didn't like platform ones. What a shame!.
The pc's hardware wasn't adapted to requirements of that kind of games. Sprites, sound, scrolls were too much slow for making them work.
On that times, Sega Megadrive was the master and a I used to dream about playing with Sonic on a pc and a thought: If they don't want to program it... I'll do it!

I started to program and make sprites (Some of them rendered with 3D Software and some of them pixel by pixel) and my brother designed the stages and music (yes, the game had music and sounds) and the result was what you can see on the video.

Now is the time of collect ideas:
Mega GP Mania said:

I can't resist! Some graphic suggestions:

The graphics are nice at all. But maybe you should change the Egypt Background. "real" Photographs and Pixel-Art don't match together I think.
The horizontal green slime shots seems to be a little bit to small to clearly see.
You are right, I'll change it
The Cave Level could look better with a (not to much moving) Parallax background to separate the foreground more.

All stages had parallax scroll but some of the backgrounds aren't designed yet :p

Animated water/lava falls (background)
It also had. All waterfalls had animation but I can't remember why it doesn't works now.
[quote title="Hoh"]A little bit more alternation in the background like in the castle. The "Brick-Brick-Brick..." BG could benefit from more Winodws, Torches, larger or different blocks etc..
The trees look a little bit different in graphic style than the rest of the game[/quote]
You are right again. I was a child and my hability in creating sprites were very limited. More or less like nowadays :p
Sonic what are you doing here? ;P
No really it was the running/spring animation that made me think of the hedgehog.
Oh thank you very much! that's the best present anybody colud made me :D

Finally, If you want graphics improvements I'll need some help. May be I'm a good programmer but I'm sure that I'm not a good drawer so:
Anybody konws somebody that could help me to make more graphics? I'll be very thankfull ;)

see you!

sartomism said:
Hi everybody!

I'm the agapito's programmer and I'd like to thank you for your support and your ideas.
I've read some comments about wich seems to be the filosofy of the game and.. waw! you've guessed!
When I was a child I love platformer games but I only had a PC to play them and programmers of pc games didn't like platform ones. What a shame!.
The pc's hardware wasn't adapted to requirements of that kind of games. Sprites, sound, scrolls were too much slow for making them work.
On that times, Sega Megadrive was the master and a I used to dream about playing with Sonic on a pc and a thought: If they don't want to program it... I'll do it!

I started to program and make sprites (Some of them rendered with 3D Software and some of them pixel by pixel) and my brother designed the stages and music (yes, the game had music and sounds) and the result was what you can see on the video.
Hey, I also love the old Megadrive Sonic Games and the graphic Setting. I love the tiles and Block-look of the Levels and the many Parallax Layers. I've done some Tiles and Background just to make something that scrolls in many layers. :lol: I've also used 3D Software to do more complex things in the background because this way you have the right shadows and highlights instead of pixeling everything per hand.
Here, my Sonic-Style-Tile-Test-Level-thing:

It really was a sh!tload of work, I've never thought. Especialy all the pixel-tweaking and colour/contrast adjustments so that everything fits together was a real nightmare! So I know how hard it is to make a game like yours. And I don't have any skills to make animated Sprites, so I just "borrowed" Sonic. ;)

sartomism said:
You are right again. I was a child and my hability in creating sprites were very limited. More or less like nowadays :p
No worries, it is still impressive, I think I didn't done nearly complex things when I was in that age. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
hey!

I've been reading about standards for programming both graphics and sound, and SDL seems to be the most interesting one. I can develop in C or C++ and it seems to be compatible with almost all platforms.

Anybody knows if I will be able to compile SDL code (in C) once I had the pandora? if anybody have tried it, please tell me about the problems or bugs. (if there are any)

I hope I'll have a demo running under windows soon (yes... windows, I know it's a shame, but it's the easier way). After that, under linux :D. And finally under Pandora

see you!

Back