Video game store manager? Please, tell us some stories. I'm sure England has stupid people, too. :)

2 come to mind, a guy who came in and asked if I'd buy what was in the box, which turned out to be a broken lawnmower.

And the second was a late teen guy slathering at the lips with a cheeseburger in hand asking if I had anything a bit special not on show to the public, before pretending - badly - to DJ on a DJ hero we had on display claiming he was a real DJ...

The whole special thing, I did have a brand new, sealed Atari Lynx MkII with 10 games among other things but he wasn't getting his greasy mitts on.

Trust me, England has some remarkably stupid people and I feel I met most of them in my time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm may88 - 1 yrs old, used to work in IT but never used linux until the pandora, was thrilled when i got wi-fi working, and rarely finish games (keep starting new ones...).

I am 29, about to turn 30. I'm really looking forward to the Pandora arriving...

I inherited the pre-order receipt from my father, who passed away in his sleep murmuring faintly about ScummVM and battery life. Not sure whether he made the original order or if it was my grandfather.

I inherited the pre-order receipt from my father, who passed away in his sleep murmuring faintly about ScummVM and battery life. Not sure whether he made the original order or if it was my grandfather.
Hehe, you're son will have something to pass on to his son.

How come you have 2 usernames?
No, just a joke to mean i'm 45.

I'm may88 - 1 yrs old, used to work in IT but never used linux until the pandora, was thrilled when i got wi-fi working, and rarely finish games (keep starting new ones...).

Your command of the English language, not to mention comprehension of well anything is pretty amazing at 1 years old.

I believe he meant to say he is a year younger than may88.

I'm 25 this Friday I'm an accountant and personal trainer. I use mine for gaming (ps1, snes, nes, megadrive, GBA and scummvm mostly), and am doing my Chartered Institute course now so i take to class for notes and such. it is also good for making my girlfriend angry and my mates jealous.

Yeah I recognise the "making girlfriend angry" part. Im playing with the pandora when I should instead work with planning our vacation together.

However I think that installing SCUMM VM is planning my vacation...

One fresh 40 from Czech.

edit:

Yeah I recognise the "making girlfriend angry" part. Im playing with the pandora when I should instead work with planning our vacation together.
However I think that installing SCUMM VM is planning my vacation...
Try say to she that You are skip planing and already preparing to vacation. :) And beware - wife usually become even more restrictive. :)

25 yr. old Self-taught software engineer. going to school and working 60+ hours/week living in Melbourne Florida.When I get it I will probably spend most of my time making it do stuff it wasn't intended to do(which will be difficult because the pandora exists to do thing that other things aren't intended to do). probably will spend a lot of time ssh-ed into my build server with and it living on my desk.

16, self-taught mediocre c++ programmer, hoping to go into software engineering... would be taking some computer classes but my tiny north dakota highschool doesn't teach any thing other that "My first Microsoft Office".

Use my pandora for everything i use my destop for (Gaming, Proggramming, Music, Interwebz). Found out about it from Dr. Ashens review.

Also finding it interesting that almost everyone here seems to have some programming experiance.

I'm 27 from Poland. In early 90 Poland was little behind in terms of technology so my childhood was C64, Atari and Chinese clones of NES instead of SNES or Mega Drive.

As for now I use Pandora for gaming of course (not only systems I played as a child) web browsing when I don't feel like turning on my laptop, or as a music&video player.

As a daytime job I'm programming some boring customer relationship management software for a big telecom. I'm eager to write some simple game for pandora, I haven't coded anything gamelike for over 5 years, but as for now I spend most of my free time for other community (not pandora community) projects and some simple joys like playing on my Pandora :)

19 (Oct 1991) from the UK. When I placed my order I was 16! I seem to be one of the only people in here who doesn't have any programming knowledge :( . I'm more on the art side of games, I'm learning 3D modelling and level design among other things at University, so the Pandora isn't very useful in that regarding. I do use it a lot though, I don't bother carrying a laptop around anymore incase I need it for work and I have no other multimedia devices so I use it for music, videos, internet, and gaming. Play a lot of games from my childhood, games I never managed to finish due to being too difficult when I was a kid (such as Alundra on the PS1, which I completed yesterday), and games I missed due to not owning all the consoles back then :p .

I love my Pandora, despite me wishing it was a bit faster for web browsing and emulation. Hope there's a Pandora 2 a couple of years down the line, I can't imagine emulating on any other handheld device now!

I've had a stab at programming and am absolutely useless, I can do a bit of pixel art so any modding I've ever done has been limited to sprites for the MD and the such, I'd like to learn to program and actually make my own games from scratch but alas, I am far from gifted.

I'm 34 here... old enough to remember a time before the internet (gasp!) when Bulletin Board Systems were still relevant and I had to use the telephone line to connect via my super fast 4800 Baud modem. I grew up in the golden years of the C64 and Amiga and the birth of console systems. Growing up with a limited income I mostly preferred RPGs since they offered more playtime/$ than other types of games. That also lead me into pen-and-paper games and turned me into a total Shadowrun fanboy (Not the electronic abominations of the game world; although the SNES version is not horrible). Eventually I was drawn into MMORPGs mostly due to the social aspects. It was like being in a huge chat room that was also a game! In a nutshell, I was born and raised into geekdom!

Nowadays I am an Electrical Engineer who's current job is to write airplane software for airlines. Having a wife and infant child has eliminated most of my free time so I can no longer play the types of games that I used to. When I discovered the Pandora I saw an opportunity to go back and play many of the other types of games that I never got around to in the past and all that in the palm of my hands! If only it would arrive!!

Am 22, graduated from a vocational high school in 2008 where I learned about.. anything to do with eletrical equipment? I can fix many issues with "staple" appliances, dishwasher, washer, dryer etc. I have a steady soldering hand and am not afraid to make small circuit board repairs/modifications. I also got to dabble a bit in controlling small armature robots via command line using DOS, and programming industrial conveyor belts ladder by ladder.

Of course all that aside, I've been building PC's and generally pretty good with hardware configuration/troubleshooting since I was 15. It helps to grow up with having a PC. =)

Now, since the job market sucks and I'm uncertain what I'm happy with yet for a life's career I'm working for my ISP troubleshooting internet connections and the like. Just making money and trying to get a newer car I wont have to fix every six-months. Just doing what I can

Shining Moment in school you may find amusing: I had setup an interactive key based input interface to the robots controller and mapped specific keys to a Wii Remote/Nunchuck connected via Bluetooth using GlovePIE. I had actually just begun showing that off when the principal walks in takes the remote thinking im playing games or something until he moves the analog stick and realizes thats whats making the bot wave at him. He gave my remote back commenting "You're going to take over the world with that type of thinking one day."

Back