Alarm

T

Tiger1

Will the pandara have an alarm on it, settings like on a watch or cellphone?

There should be some tutorials in the dev's corner, I suppose. I didn't check yet, though.

Paradox said:
Dunny said:
Gerald1 said:

You can code your own.

D.

thanks maybe we should all code our own emulators aswell
Yeah, programming an alarm would be equally difficult to developing an emulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paradox said:
Dunny said:
Gerald1 said:

You can code your own.

D.

thanks maybe we should all code our own emulators aswell
Coding a clock app is extremely simple next to an emulator. I made one in Lua and I'm not a programmer. ;) If none turn up for Pandora that are to my liking, I might just code my own.

I think we're forgetting the obvious here.

Of course it's easy to write an alarm clock program. But is it possible for an alarm clock to wake the Pandora out of low-power mode at a pre-determined time? Without that functionality an alarm clock is not very useful.

I remember an old discussion in the other forums about this, but I can't recall what the conclusion was. People compared it to Nokia's Internet Tablets. A tweaked standby mode should allow wake up, I guess.

VRAndy said:

Of course it's easy to write an alarm clock program. But is it possible for an alarm clock to wake the Pandora out of low-power mode at a pre-determined time? Without that functionality an alarm clock is not very useful.

Well, You could set an external alarm clock to remind you to bring the Pandora out of a low powered state, So that she is ready and waiting for her internal alarm to go off. A bit long winded, But i guess i could see that working. :)

Trooper

Assuming the Pandora is not put in suspend and is just clocked down (which will be the case until they have all the drivers supporting suspend), you could just use cron or at as the alarm clock.

VRAndy said:

I suppose that all comes down to what's available to the programmers. Otherwise I have no problem with leaving my unit plugged in and on. Maybe it could have an option to run in low clock speed mode to save power, turn off the screen (or backlight, or both), then return to the previous clock speed and turn on the screen when a button is pressed or the alarm activates.

A true suspend mode means no alarm/wake etc so will often be undesirable.

Low power mode will likely be toggles by a script, run by a little driver app I hope to put together asap. Alarm proggies could call it, or the subtools for backlight/CPU control directly, so piece of cake. Mostly in libpnd already.

Jeff

skeezix said:

Low power mode will likely be toggles by a script, run by a little driver app I hope to put together asap. Alarm proggies could call it, or the subtools for backlight/CPU control directly, so piece of cake. Mostly in libpnd already.

Jeff

I believe there has been conflicting information as to whether the Pandora has an RTC capable of waking the system, this is confirmation that it doesn't?

fischju2000 said:
skeezix said:

Jeff

I believe there has been conflicting information as to whether the Pandora has an RTC capable of waking the system, this is confirmation that it doesn't?
I guess it doesn't, but since true suspend-to-RAM is a bitch anyway, and the devs are going to focus on a low-power mode, that won't matter. Waking up from low-power mode will just be a matter of cron or something similar calling a wake-up script.

Sphinxter said:
Code:
  #/bin/bash
  timetowake=$1
  while true
  do 
  set -a `date`
  now=${4%:??}
  if [[ $now = $timetowake ]]; then
  echo $now
  mplayer Ring My Bell.avi
  fi
  sleep 60
  done

teach a man to fish...

Or...
Code:
echo "play /home/me/annoying_bell.mp3"| at 18:42
:)

Edit: also, your script is broken...

Sphinxter said:
Embedded device so I wouldn't assume crond much less atd.

Why? 'at' is a standard POSIX application, so it has to work on pretty much any unix-like system.

Alec  said:
Sphinxter said:
Embedded device so I wouldn't assume crond much less atd.

Why? 'at' is a standard POSIX application, so it has to work on pretty much any unix-like system.

Providing it is actually there taking up room on nand, stupid of me to even assume bash instead of sh.
ed; script fine, bb broken, usage alarm.sh 15:10 http://fullsack.com/images/alarm.sh

Back