Release Albion

Well, reading the description I was thinking you had somehow improved the graphic and other things so it should be better and faster than running it from dosbox, but I will not be able to try it on a pandora for a while...
I'm craving for OpenGL support in the dungeon areas for years. :)

Well, reading the description I was thinking you had somehow improved the graphic and other things so it should be better and faster than running it from dosbox, but I will not be able to try it on a pandora for a while...
I increased the rendering resolution in the 3D parts of the game (with some minor issues) so that would be one reason, but other than that it's not better or faster than running it from dosbox (unless you mean it uses less CPU).I'll think about it.

I'm craving for OpenGL support in the dungeon areas for years. :)
You won't get it in this port. :)

Hi,

I updated Albion to version 1.5.1

Download it here:
Repo

Changes:
* fix some of the minor issues with enhanced 3D rendering
(semitransparent messages, dialogs and menu shadows are no longer displayed with black background)

@PowerGod
Since you requested a version for X86 Linux, you can download it here.
Unpack it into the directory where Albion is installed - read the Readme for more information (use Albion.sh to run the game).

Last edited:
@PowerGod

Unpack it into the directory where Albion is installed - read the Readme for more information (use Albion.sh to run the game).
cool !! thanks :)

The game runs visibly faster than dosbox on my pc :) , anyway I can't hear the background music...

I downloaded the eawpats and modified the timidity.cfg to use them...

Timidity and Wildmidi are working if I play a midi with them on the console, and the configuration is in the "/etc/timidity/timidity.cfg"...

the volume levels on the setup.ini are set to 127 and in Albion.cfg the setting is this "Audio_MIDI_Subsystem=wildmidi"...

what am I doing wrong ?

Is there a way to use fullscreen even for the SDL window playing the intro ?

With wildmidi I can hear all the effects (doors, computer beepings, message bells) but not the bg music

With sdl_mixer seems everything is working, did't tried that before because I read it is worse...

maybe I have to recompile your modified wildmidi libs for my system ?

The first person levels are WAY faster and WAY better than in dosbox !! In dosbox the 3D levels are almost unplayable, while now them are so smooth !! :D

Can you go to the Albion directory and run these commands to check if you have all needed libraries?

Code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd` ldd midi-wildmidi.so
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd` ldd midiA-wildmidi.so
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd` ldd libWildMidi.so.1
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd` ldd libWildMidiA.so.1

/lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not foundOn Debian Weezy there is only v2.13
I'm trying to compile the sources myself

It's awesome seeing this game is still being discussed and updated by this group!

I bought the game many years ago at the dollar store and loved playing it when I was younger. I had been trying to think of the name of the game, it's been so long! 

I was hoping to find a way to play it on my tablet or PC for nostalgia, It's really a shame they never re-released this great game on other platforms.

Yesterday I set it up on DosBox but the screen size was really tiny. I'll have to download it from here when I get home and give it a shot!

Yesterday I set it up on DosBox but the screen size was really tiny.
I suggest to use dbgl to run dosbox games, it's a full featured multiplatform java interface for dosbox, you can easily set there your preferred resolution for every game.

Anyway dosbox can't beat the awesomeness of the first person levels of this modified engine.

I ask this thing here because google can't help me :(

If I have all the party members with their inventory full, and then I grab something from a container where I can't put it back, I am not able to do anything... I just can switch forever that item with another but I can't find a way to remove it from the mouse pointer... I can't even click exit...

For now my only solution is to distribute the SAME object, like a potion, to every member, so I can swap the new object with the potion, and then put the potion with the other potions on another member inventory...

Do someone have some simple solution ? (I just keep falling in this situation...)

Personally I never had such a situation - mainly because of weight issues. I think this is something that the developers didn't foresee, in which case there's probably nothing that can be done.

Your solution is good, but you just need two people to hold the same stackable item - in your situation you stack the items together and then drop something.

/lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not foundOn Debian Weezy there is only v2.13
I'm trying to compile the sources myself
I don't know whether you managed to compile the libraries yourself, but I did and I updated the archive, so you can download it.

Last edited:
oh, cool !! I wasn't able to... so I was using sdl_mixer... I tried to play with aclocal/autoconf/automake for some hours, tried even the "--add-missing" parameter (that seemed to solve some issues), but it was still telling me that some shell scripts were missing... I never used automake before so maybe I had done something wrong...

I'll try the new libraries :)

Anyway, while searching for info on the game I found MANY old discussions with people asking to have a better 3D graphic, I think that your work can make many people happy.

I started this game like 4 times (from the 2000), but never finished it because every time a computer died and I was loosing the saves... yeah, 4 computers died (the last was a pandora)... now, I don't mind if this old pc will die too because of this "curse", but I'm making 4 backups of the saves in different HDs :D

Everything works ok now !! :D

Tried both WildMIDI and BassMidi with soudfonts and all music and sounds are there, thanks !! :D

Just a thing, the archive is called ".gz" but it's a Bzip2 instead

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, cool !! I wasn't able to... so I was using sdl_mixer... I tried to play with aclocal/autoconf/automake for some hours, tried even the "--add-missing" parameter (that seemed to solve some issues), but it was still telling me that some shell scripts were missing... I never used automake before so maybe I had done something wrong...
For the future: first run "./bootstrap" - that runs all those scripts for you.
I started this game like 4 times (from the 2000), but never finished it because every time a computer died and I was loosing the saves... yeah, 4 computers died (the last was a pandora)... now, I don't mind if this old pc will die too because of this "curse", but I'm making 4 backups of the saves in different HDs :D
4 computers - that's pretty bad luck.
Everything works ok now !! :D

Tried both WildMIDI and BassMidi with soudfonts and all music and sounds are there, thanks !! :D
Good to hear.
Just a thing, the archive is called ".gz" but it's a Bzip2 instead
Fixed it - now it's gzip. :)

Hello folks, is there a desktop Windows version of this game engine recreation somewhere too?

I've just found this nice post:

@PowerGod
Not that it's too important for me since I use Linux, just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello folks, is there a desktop Windows version of this game engine recreation somewhere too?

Not that it's too important for me since I use Linux, just curious.
This is no engine recreation, but a static recompilation / binary translation of the orginal x86 dos binary. So a Windows version would probably require almost the same amount of work again. How about using a VM (if the computer is beefy enough to run it) ?

Back