Alert Shmup

Hi,

Thanks for these links, alert is a nice game ! I think it could be a good training for hard shmups like Ikaruga :) But at the moment the game is too easy (completed in hard mode with plenty of lives left), too slow without OC, so that you can easily dodge the bullets, and too repetitive. I think the guy behind this game should work with Kenta Cho, creator of Noiz2sa, they could do great things together !

Here are some links for those who are interested in this kind of games: Kenta Cho homepage and Linux ports of his games. Would it be possible to port some of these Linux versions to the GP2X ? Tumiki Fighters would rock !

Bye, Magic Sam

It's a nice little shoot'em up, but definitely too short & easy, and it gets repetitive quickly.

The firing system reminds me of DonPachi, where tapping the button for spread shots, while holding down the button for a stream shot, but sacrifice mobility in return.

It seems the hit collision is too lenient; you won't die unless you get hit dead center.

Too bad it's not fullscreen, but the black & white pixelated theme is nice. :)

EDIT: I find it very playable without OC though. :p

Alert definitely is too easy but from the blog post it seems this is an early release and hopefully will be made much more challenging. The hit box would be fine if there were a much larger amount of bullets. for the amount currently the hit box should be larger. still cool to see someone working on a game like this for the gp2x

I think the only kenta cho game we have hope of getting ported is Rrootage. which someone already started porting but is currently having some difficulties I think with memory. The rest are programmed in the D programming language which would make ports troublesome.

there has been an update to alert. the version at time of posting was .11 and this one is now .14 i think. not sure of the exact change list but I do know that hard mode seems to be a lot harder with more bullets coming at you

Back