Alexkidd2x V0.2 Released

Tobriand posted on May 10 2006 at 03:45 AM said:
Out of interest, is this thing using DrZ80, or a core of your own devising? And if the latter, is there any chance of an attempt to implement the former and see what happens?

I'm most impressed with 133MHz for better than full speed (I'm assuming FS0) - that's the first emu, possibly bar DrMD, on the 2x that's really made strides over the majority of GP32 equivalents. Yes, I know DrSMS runs at ridiculously low speeds and gets full speed games, but the other emulators run at 133, typically, iirc, and still require frameskip.

I'm using at the moment a C core, not DrZ80.

My idea is to optimize as much as I can using C core and, after that, try to implement DrZ80 to increase a bit more the speed.

And yes, when I speak about speed, I'm always speaking about frameskip 0.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, played a bit around with this yesterday. Emulationwise, it's great :)

Some ideas from my side:

* Subdirectory support for roms (so I can split GG roms from SMS roms... at the moment, I have two AlexKidd2x installations on the gp2x to do that ;))

* Possibility to save a default configuration

Does saving (SRAM or states) already work? Haven't tried that yet :) Only played a few Jump'n'Runs :)

bacteria posted on May 10 2006 at 09:51 AM said:
Zaxxon 3D seems to have some graphics issues (just thought you might like to know).

Did you turn the 3D Glasses off in the Zaxxon3D Game menu?

Last edited:
hey puck, this is awesome. Especially that there is sound control now, really saved my life. Sweet... also I like how you try to implement suggestions as fast as you do. Thank you very much!

Wow! This is progressing really fast. Thanks very much.
Would it be possible in future to manually configure the location of roms in a settings file or something? I like to keep mine in mnt/sd/roms/sms_gg/ or similar..

Thanks again! :D

halo9 posted on May 10 2006 at 07:33 PM said:
Would it be possible in future to manually configure the location of roms in a settings file or something? I like to keep mine in mnt/sd/roms/sms_gg/ or similar..

Yes, it would be possible. ;)

Regards

can any of you guys reccomend some good sms games i want to try out this emu but have never played the sms before :( and dont know were to start

Ando posted on May 11 2006 at 01:05 AM said:
can any of you guys reccomend some good sms games i want to try out this emu but have never played the sms before :( and dont know were to start

Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
Wonderboy 3
Asterix
Bonanza Bros.
Populous
Sonic 1
Sonic 2

I am having trouble with v0.2. I am unable to get any roms to run. The roms that played using v0.1 are not working in v0.2. Is there something that I need to do to get it to work. I can select a rom and change the options, but when I hit select then all I get is a black screen.

jawa75 posted on May 11 2006 at 03:55 AM said:
I am having trouble with v0.2. I am unable to get any roms to run. The roms that played using v0.1 are not working in v0.2. Is there something that I need to do to get it to work. I can select a rom and change the options, but when I hit select then all I get is a black screen.

Do you have a data folder in the same path as the .gpe file?

wow i see theres some vast speed improvements here could be the best gg/ms system since the originals...

1 gripe even at lowest speed some games now play too fast lol woody pop (game gear) for example.

other than that fantastic work.

clarky2o2o posted on May 11 2006 at 11:43 AM said:
wow i see theres some vast speed improvements here could be the best gg/ms system since the originals...

1 gripe even at lowest speed some games now play too fast lol woody pop (game gear) for example.

other than that fantastic work.

Use frameskip 0 to limit speed to 60 fps :)

I have some problems running v0.2. If I run it as the first app after boot, upon exit the screen has mixed up flickering (I have to go to LCD Settings to fix it) and running any other app mess it up - for example, CDogs 0.3 crashes on start, which doesn't happen when I run just CDogs as the first app. SDL_INIT issues? :huh:

I experience the same running the latest ScummVM - I can only get it to run if I run "Whacky" first (someone suggested it on the forum), otherwise I get a blank frozen screen. :ph34r:

I'm running FW 2.0.0, BTW.

TyBO! posted on May 11 2006 at 10:54 PM said:
Just got a chance to run the new version last night, and I'm very impressed! Underclocking, ftw... :)

You will be more impressed soon :)

I've increased speed considerably and I'm implementing some suggestions received, after including all of them I will release a new version :)

Regards

Back