Alexkidd2x V0.5 Xmas Edition

Puck2099

Certified Guru
Website
www.gp32wip.com
Hi,

After some time and a lot of effort, here you have a new version of my SEGA Master System and Game Gear emulator for GP2X.

alexkidd2x_v04.png

This version is a bit slower than the previous one, mainly because it performs a more accurately emulation of the hardware (which is necessary to get the digitalized voices working), but it is compensated using audio samplerate 22050 which sound more or less the same as 44100 but it's faster to process.[CUT]

To use this version, unzip all and copy the roms in roms directory or navegate from roms selector to roms folder as usual.

You can't use the savestates or configuration files from the previous version, so delete them.

These are the new features:
  • Rewritten most source code to get a more accurate emulation.
  • Added Squidge's MMU Hack to increase a bit the speed.
  • Added CRC database. Each time you load a game, it is checked its CRC and compare with the internal database to get its name and some parameters.
  • Folder structure has been changed. Now savestates are located on "save" instead of the roms folder and configuration files have .cfg extension. Using this CRC, now the data is saved using the appropiatre name so if we have a rom with some different names, the emulator will take them internally as the same one, allowing that we can use the savestates and configuration files automatically in all of them.
  • Added 10 slots to save/load states instead of the only one used in the previous versions. You can change between slots using CLICK+VOL
  • and CLICK+VOL+
  • Added status messages to show information in some situations (information when save/load state, slot change, ROMs information...).
  • Added the possibility to overclock or downclock the Z80 speed from options menu. It can be useful in some games that didn't work 100% speed in the original Master System hardware.
  • Internal RAM save/load works fine now.
  • Added digitalized voices and working fine (see Street Fighter 2, Gauntlet, Game Gear's Sonic...).
  • Added correct FM chipset support. Now you can choose from two different implementations. By the way, it is CRC checked so it will be only actived in games that support FM (Wonderboy 3...).
  • Added the possibility to choose samplerate between 44100 and 22050. They sound mostly the same, so by default it is selected 22050 that is faster.
  • Added brighter colour palettes, now it looks better :)
  • Optimized tile cache.
  • Changed left vertical bar from background colour to transparent colour.
  • Removed different frameskip levels and added autoframeskip.
  • GUI rewriteen using 8 bits. It avoids changing video mode between the GUI and emulation avoiding some problems.
  • Fixed partly screen flickering in ROMs selector.
  • Now it is saved CPU speed and LCD configuration when loading the emulator and they are restored when exiting, avoiding disturbing LCD configurations when loading another program.
  • Some minor changes and tweaks in the GUI (scroll pages using Left and Right, remember cursor position in roms list...).
  • Folder CRC scan from roms selector pushing SELECT. This will save an information file that will be loaded automatically and without pause each time you select that folder.
  • Added compatibility mode for some Game Gear roms that didn't work correctly (Castle of Illusion, Prince of Persia, Out Run Europa...). They are showed as Master System games.
  • Added the possibility to show Game Gear roms using Master System resolution.
  • Added support to USB joysticks. Now it is possible to play two players using one or two USB joysticks and a breakout board or similar device.
  • Changed region mode. Now you can choose the region (Japan or USA/Europe) and video mode (PAL or NTSC).
  • Added a much better support for PAL mode and its 50 hz.
  • Fixed some minor bugs.
As you can see, there are some important news, I hope you like it :)

You can download it here.

Regards[/CUT]

Puck2099 posted on Dec 26 2006 at 12:17 AM said:
  • Added support to USB joysticks. Now it is possible to play two players using one or two USB joysticks and a breakout board or similar device.

Thanks a lot man, USB joysticks support is a very important feature, every 10 days a new comer asks what emulators support them, and I always reply with Pico Drive and MAME, Alex Kidd to the list :)

Merry x-mas to you Puck2099 and to everyone :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an impressive changelist. And I think it makes this the first SMS emu in GP history (at least, that I tried) to actually get the voices working properly - congratulations!

Puck2099 posted on Dec 25 2006 at 09:17 PM said:
Hi,

After some time and a lot of effort, here you have a new version of my SEGA Master System and Game Gear emulator for GP2X.

Thanks for the update.

Is there a way you could give an alternate option other than stick click for those of us that have d-pads or those that don't want to wear the stick out sooner?

You could use something like "start" or "select" + a button as an alternative to the click.

Thanks again.

thank you for this. it's even better now, and it was great before. i'm going to have to spy out some new games, having replayed and mostly beaten the ones i had when i owned a game gear. i loved sonic chaos...probably try out some triple trouble or look for roms to test out the digital voice stuff.

thanks puck!

off-topic: taz in the search for the lost seabirds has the absolute weirdest music i've ever heard in a game. and it has nothing to do with the emulator. i had the cart as a kid and it was just as weird. basically sounds like computer algorithm music with various melodies fighting for time on limited channels. mostly atonal. just weird.

I really like stick-click, and would like it to be used still :) in addition to a different method, if needs be!

Puck2099 posted on Dec 25 2006 at 03:17 PM said:
[*] Added the possibility to overclock or downclock the Z80 speed from options menu. It can be useful in some games that didn't work 100% speed in the original Master System hardware.
My sincerest thanks for taking the time to add the feature I suggested-- and this is an invaluable one! As you probably know I no longer use my GP2X, but down the road I don't doubt this emulator will be a great complement to the XGP or whatever open handheld suits my needs in the future-- so you have my full appreciation for your efforts. Keep up the excellent work.

Thanks for this ... top stuff!

With the exception of Wonderboy 3, has anybody managed to get any other FM chipset compatible games working with FM sound? (Outrun, California Games, Double Dragon, Shinobi & R-Type are just a few that are FM compatible -- there are over 40 FM games, even including the European ones ----, yet do not appear to give FM sound despite enabling the option).

Seeing as I believe the few mentioned above to be amongst the more popular Master System games that had FM sound, could other users post as to whether or not they've got FM sound from these games ... or any others.

There's a list of compatible FM games here at SMS Power

k3nn posted on Dec 27 2006 at 04:52 AM said:
I really like stick-click, and would like it to be used still :) in addition to a different method, if needs be!

I didn't say to take it out but an alternative to it should be given. Even if you don't have a d-pad there should always be an alternative to the click. Those with older sticks will notice it starting to loosen up the stick and wear it. The click mechanism is not very robust.

great to see a new release of this emuator. i have had some problems with it however.

first off i can't redefine the controls. i try the option but either it just goes too fast or skips some buttons.

also i seem to get some flicker some time at parts of the screen at least when i was playing bubble bobble.

really nice release overall though.

Liquido Marquee :rolleyes:

And a graphic manual for gmenu2x users :p
Rename to "alexkidd.man.png"

Back