Alive and kicking (some pictures)

@PCXT the fn keys are not hardware, they are software, so they can be sticky-fied. (since a fn is on the shoulder buttons, this allows the use in game; if it was hardware it wouldn't work to shoot stuff with.)

latchlock will similarly be available, or deactivateable, depending on the ootb default settings.

I really hope that was a typo and you wanted to write TN, IPS is a type of LCD panel.

What I'm saying is that the question itself is fairly well irrelevant. These comparisons based on specific metrics measured against flagship technologies and products that are not obtainable by this kind of project are not a particularly good use of time.

Instead of trying to get quantitative measures to compare to other products, the question should be, "Are the viewing angles of the display suitable to purpose?" If so, check 'Yes' and move on.

Why? What purpose would that serve? The screen they have is the screen at this stage. That isn't changing.

Well, ED said:
Yes, I am planning to do such pictures, in comparison with other devices.
about display under sun light, and that isn't changing.

I see you, Grenchare, are afraid a lot of, but ED and most of us aren't. We have no problem with reality and here usually we don't hide reality.

If we choose Pyra it is because we know what it is, not the opposite way.

I don't understand what you are saying here. By "configuring accessX to +sticky" do you mean configuring a button to access the X window system? I'm trying to find a combination to access the console VT's from within X or within a fullscreen game or application. On my PC I use CTRL+ALT+F2 to access VT2 for example. I have seen the suggestion to map the combination to the gaming keys and that should work, but I can't figure out how to map VT_SWITCH to custom bindings. Even if it's just VT2, the ability to use a combination such as (Both shoulders + A) to switch to VT2 and (Both shoulders + B) to switch back to X (VT7?) would be perfect.

There is a "xkbset" tool to configure various aspects of AccessX subsystem. This subsystem was created for accessibility features in X. For example, giving command (warning: writing from memory, verify before use):
xkbset accessx sticky
sticky keys are turned on, but
xkbset accessx sticky latchlock
adds option to permanently lock modifier when it's pressed twice instead of turning it on-off.
If it's turned on, it's possible to easier press Ctrl-Alt-Fn-* and minimizes count of keys pressed together in hardware which, as Caine wrote, may result in problems. The problem here may be to latch Fn as it may not be directly supported by vanilla X system. In my Debian on netbook forgetting about it sometimes pops me to another console.

Different display technologies have different strengths, costs, and availability. ....... Trying to tie direct comparisons to the best displays that Apple (IPS) and/or Samsung (OLED) can source for their $800 flagship smartphones based on their respective strongest measures is folly.

I am sorry but you look afraid a lot of and lost:

1st/ ED said some months ago that Pyra BOE ADS LCD have (in his opinion at that moment) better quality than GPD (this device has an IPS LCD) https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/pyra-screen.80059/#post-1411060
We aren't afraid: we want to see how Pyra LCD compares to other devices so we can know.

2/ I don't know why you are thinking we are going to compare Pyra LCD to high-end expensives smartphones. I have a 5.5 QHD resolution IPS LCD phone, and I know Pyra can't match this display, so I am not going to compare this (even altough this phone cost 299€).

I will compare Pyra LCD for example with my old phone: a Huawei P8 Lite with 5 inches 1280p (same size and resolution than Pyra). This mid-range smartphone from 2015 cost to me 155 EUR.

LCD won't have the broad viewing angle of IPS. So? Are we that concerned with enabling shoulder surfers to see what we're doing on a Pyra from highly off-centered angles?

I have been using computers with LCD displays from more than 30 years, and I know viewing angle is a very important point. Today I would not use some screens because bad viewing angles.

It is so simple I need to know how good viewing angle is.

Are you afraid a lot of? I am not afraid, and I want to know on Pyra LCD display.
[doublepost=1497575245,1497574238][/doublepost]
What I'm saying is that the question itself is fairly well irrelevant. These comparisons based on specific metrics measured against flagship technologies and products that are not obtainable by this kind of project are not a particularly good use of time.

Instead of trying to get quantitative measures to compare to other products, the question should be, "Are the viewing angles of the display suitable to purpose?" If so, check 'Yes' and move on.

And to know if viewing angles are suitable, to each of us, we need to know how those angles are, and a very good way is to compare (if we don't have access to real machine), because a number in a manufactures datasheet is not enough.

Flagships???? Only you are talking about flagships. I am not going to compare a 5 inches 720p dispaly with an actual flagship display.

Last edited:
Being able to pop into a console no matter what is hogging the screen is one of my favorite features of Linux.
I can see the attraction of that, but in practice, the only times I've ever had such sluggish performance that I can't alt-tab away to a terminal window and launch killall in it are back in the day with dodgy kernel drivers or dodgy RAM that were causing the kernel itself grief, and in that situation it just won't respond to the keyboard, so the ctrl+alt Fnum combo won't get you anywhere until it's struggled back to life (luckily I've not had that problem for a few years now).

I see you, Grenchare, are afraid a lot

I am sorry but I see you afraid a lot

Are you afraid a lot of?

Nope. Not afraid. I am simply confident in @EvilDragon. He's said it's good. If he says it's good, subject done.

And to know if viewing angles are suitable, to each of us, we need to know how those angles are, and a very good way is to compare (if we don't have access to real machine), because a number in a manufactures datasheet is not enough.

Viewing angles beyond 45* on a 5" screen handheld are completely irrelevant unless you're wanting to make sure shoulder surfers get a good look. This is not a group device. This is not a 15' away everyone watch from a giant L shaped couch device. Viewing angles covering anything beyond the person running the controls are simply wasted light - or a bonus if you're showing it off to the guy next to you on the train.

Having your handheld device emitting legible light patterns in a direction other than your eyeballs is an inefficiency, not a metric to strive for.

I have been using computers with LCD displays from more than 30 years, and I know viewing angle is a very important point. Today I would not use some screens because bad viewing angles.
30 years ago the screens with the widest viewing angles were orange black with 16 shades of lesser/brighter orange (Plasma). I had one. It was entertaining. I don't want one in my Pyra.

Do you regularly use a computer from an oblique angle? If yes, move you or the monitor.

It is so simple I need to know how good viewing angle is.
Other than, "it is suitable to purpose," no you don't.
[doublepost=1497587018,1497586944][/doublepost]
The display is actually pretty good.
Source: Myself

Yes, I've used a Pyra before.

Works for me. I'll take yours and ED's word for it.

I'm trying to find a combination to access the console VT's from within X or within a fullscreen game or application. On my PC I use CTRL+ALT+F2 to access VT2 for example. I have seen the suggestion to map the combination to the gaming keys and that should work, but I can't figure out how to map VT_SWITCH to custom bindings. Even if it's just VT2, the ability to use a combination such as (Both shoulders + A) to switch to VT2 and (Both shoulders + B) to switch back to X (VT7?) would be perfect.

Look at https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/xmodmap-help-needed.77160/#post-1371239 for a sample that should be adaptable to achieve your goal. Note that the console keymap is different and there ALT+Fn is working, though I mostly just use ALT+Left/Right (it seems there are only two VTs configured).

Transparent. Always transparent. Transparent is victory and victory is life.
I dunno, if dark grey or dark red are to my liking I will get one of those. This is why I want clear at launch if ED sticks with black, even if we have to buy the clear case as an add-on. How about "Sometimes transparent"?

Should the Pyra's screen costs double or more to do so?
I would mind watt usage... so if a display is more expensive but uses less power (AND gives the same amount of backlight...) why not...

Like all of them go by the same colour designation, but some customers will find in their box a transparent one?

What's a trans-parent, anyway?
Someone with gender dysphoria that has children? The parent of a child with gender dysphoria?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Nope. Not afraid. I am simply confident in @EvilDragon. He's said it's good. If he says it's good, subject done.

Well that's great for you. Other people, of course, have their own perspective. Are others not allowed to ask for details because Grench is satisfied with "it's good"? You seem to be a mite defensive about this. As far as I can tell, nobody is attacking the choice of screen, merely asking for information and comparisons.

You make a good point about viewing angles on a handheld device being less important in general. However, nobody knows better than themselves what their usage scenario actually entails. Maybe he does want other people to be able to see his screen over his shoulder? Is there something wrong with that? Maybe it's something else you haven't thought of. Maybe it's none of these and simple curiosity. Really the specific reason is irrelevant, asking for technical details or a comparison is not an unreasonable request, nor was it you being asked.

Do you regularly use a computer from an oblique angle? If yes, move you or the monitor.
Because you know better than him how he should use his computer?
Other than, "it is suitable to purpose," no you don't.
I don't mean to keep defending this guy but come on Grench. We are part of a community that wants devices we own to fully belong to us, no matter what unintended or original usage scenario we want to use them for. The guy is merely asking for information.

Look at https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/xmodmap-help-needed.77160/#post-1371239 for a sample that should be adaptable to achieve your goal. Note that the console keymap is different and there ALT+Fn is working, though I mostly just use ALT+Left/Right (it seems there are only two VTs configured).

Ah! Thanks, I'll look into that next time I get the chance.

I can think of a reason to have a good viewing angle. Laying in bed with boyfriend, watching something together with the Pyra between us.

Someone with gender dysphoria that has children? The parent of a child with gender dysphoria?
Those might end up being called just that for short. But I'd rather like to know, what the prefix trans makes of the term parent.

I can think of a reason to have a good viewing angle. Laying in bed with boyfriend, watching something together with the Pyra between us.
Careful now! I already see him respond "Laying together is for procreational use only!" :)

I find vertical viewing angle super important. My phone and my laptop are terrible in that regard, no matter what angle you look at it from, half the screen have wonky colors.

Yes, vertical viewing angle is where TN displays usually fall down. On this laptop here I often have to move the lid to see light or dark greys against a white or black background properly, for example. But this has a larger screen than the Pyra will have, so on this the angle between my eyes and the top of the screen and the bottom are significantly different, while on the Pyra they will be less so. I must say I don't remember having to tilt my Pandora to view colour gradients properly, but maybe I did it subconsciously back when it had a functioning LCD.

Edit: And it's worth being explicit; the Pyra will not have a TN screen. I don't know what my Pandora has though. But I strongly suspect this laptop is TN, just looking at it.

Back