All Good Things..

Trip

Sorry, but I suck at explaining stuff :P
Website
ubuntufs.wordpress.com
I've been hearing a lot about Adeona recently and it sounds great.

" Adeona is the first Open Source system for tracking the location of your lost or stolen laptop that does not rely on a proprietary, central service. This means that you can install Adeona on your laptop and go — there's no need to rely on a single third party. What's more, Adeona addresses a critical privacy goal different from existing commercial offerings. It is privacy-preserving. This means that no one besides the owner (or an agent of the owner's choosing) can use Adeona to track a laptop. Unlike other systems, users of Adeona can rest assured that no one can abuse the system in order to track where they use their laptop.

Adeona is designed to use the Open Source OpenDHT distributed storage service to store location updates sent by a small software client installed on an owner's laptop. The client continually monitors the current location of the laptop, gathering information (such as IP addresses and local network topology) that can be used to identify its current location. The client then uses strong cryptographic mechanisms to not only encrypt the location data, but also ensure that the ciphertexts stored within OpenDHT are anonymous and unlinkable. At the same time, it is easy for an owner to retrieve location information."

Something like this will be perfect for any mobile computer. Unfortunately it's just coming out of its Beta phase and only works on laptops and servers at the moment.

Anybody know of any software currently in the early stages, that might be useful for the Pandora further down the line?

Hell, unless Adona does some magic network topology stuff that no one else has done on their own, you could just have a script email you the Pandora's WAN IP (or contact a DDNS server, yes, if you're lazy/weird) whenever there's WiFi access to be had. It can be every bit as secure as whatever email account you use for this purpose. Maybe I'm unclear on some new and exciting extension of this concept here, but it sounds like all they've done is send updates to their distributed storage thing instead of an email address.

Both good points but the software can be used with the sites like juststolen.net too.
IMO this will certainly help your chances of retrieval.

Don't know what the police are like near where you live, but around here they would just ignore any info I passed onto them myself because they would think that it wasn't worth the effort to follow it up. If I were to tell them that I had security software installed to track the unit and showed them it working, they would actually go out of their way to help me.
Silly I know but that's just the way that some people think.

Back