Sd Card Or External Hard Drive The Main Storage Location For The Pando

BRIGUY14

Still Fresh
Hi everyone. I wanted to know if it was possible if you could make a SD card (Probably SDXC so I can have plenty of space) or an External Hard Drive the RAM or Storage Location for files and etc. on the Pandora?

The default storage location for your files has to be SD Cards - that's why the Pandora has two built-in SD Card slots. :)

You can use an external hard disk drive to store files also, but some drives try to draw far too much power and should not be used. Also, if you do have one that can be used, it will cause your battery life to run down more quickly, because the Pandora must power the drive as well as itself.

As far RAM, to my knowledge you can't do that with an SD Card or hard disk drive, unless you happen to mean using these for swap. As far as know, you can do that, but I haven't had any need for it so I can't give you any more information about it than that.

(I will include my standard note here about avoiding flash media, including SD Cards, on eBay at all costs, and as a precaution avoiding third-party sellers on retailers such as Amazon as well, because these are avenues through which fake-capacity cards - cards hacked to lie about their size - are known to be sold. Please read the relevant links in my signature if you are interested in this topic.)

using disk space as ram is called "swap". Swap on a desktop is slow and should be avoided, but it's usually there just in case you need it. SD, SDHC, and even SDXC cards are even slower than hard drives. If you start using your SD card as swap, it will negatively impact performance.
That being said, as Prometheus said, you aren't likely to need that much RAM. If you do find yourself using too much RAM, we can certainly help you setup some swap space, or at least or figure out why your using so much RAM and perhaps tweak things to use less.

Back