Pandor + Cisco Vpn + Penn State

jwm280

Still Fresh
I am currently attending penn state, the have wifi covering all of there campuses. but you need to connect to the cisco vpn to get to the internet ... so
The Problem connect to the cisco vpn at penn state with pandora

Now i have done some looking around on vpn stuff ... cuss i run linux on my laptop and the linux vpn client provided was crap .... or just really hard to install.
turns out you don't need cisco's vpn client
so
I know vpnc works on my laptop
so i would then have to compile it for the arm possessor in the pandora
but then what lol
were do i install it
and does this sound like it will work

jwm280 said:
I know vpnc works on my laptop
That's good

jwm280 said:
so i would then have to compile it for the arm possessor in the pandora
Yes

jwm280 said:
but then what lol
I guess you install it? (lol)

jwm280 said:
were do i install it
That depends entirely on the application and the filesystem layout of the Pandora, which isn't actually available yet

jwm280 said:
and does this sound like it will work
Probably

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised...you need to use a VPN to connect to the net, even when you're on campus? They must love their virtualization, I guess.

We had a Cisco VPN set up at work at one point, and like you I was happy to find vpnc but I couldn't get it working with our particular setup. Can't say I tried too hard though.

Your best bet would be to try and get vpnc working as opposed to the Cisco client. But vpnc already exists on ARM, you would not have to port it yourself.

rokdcasbah said:
But vpnc already exists on ARM, you would not have to port it yourself.
Good to read, I was worrying how to surf at university because we´re using the vpn-cisco system here in Augsburg [Germany] at the campus too.
I guess we´ll have to wait till November and test it then.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should add that I do not have direct experience with trying to run vpnc on arm, I am just going off of some googling which seems to suggest that people have done it already. I don't know if there are binaries but there's certainly code, and people have successfully cross-compiled it. Also it is marked on debian.org as being able to run on arm.

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~oliver/vpnc.html
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=vpnc

If it's really a common thing then it's likely that someone will package it up for pandora. That first link is a little outdated...maybe it's easier to cross-compile it these days. Just speculation.

Back