Amiga/atari St

NickLoTurco

Website
www.hitthesport.com
Hi, I've read the readme's but just want to find out the best way to store roms. Do I need to unzip the amiga roms to adf's as I've already got my Atari roms as .st files. Also, I was told to create a folder for each emulator on my SD card. Then create a roms folder within that folder alongside the actual emulator file to store games on. What I don't understand is that there is an actual roms folder within the emulator, shouldn't they go directly into there so that when the emu is booted in can find them in that file?

NickLoTurco said:
Hi, I've read the readme's but just want to find out the best way to store roms. Do I need to unzip the amiga roms to adf's as I've already got my Atari roms as .st files. Also, I was told to create a folder for each emulator on my SD card. Then create a roms folder within that folder alongside the actual emulator file to store games on. What I don't understand is that there is an actual roms folder within the emulator, shouldn't they go directly into there so that when the emu is booted in can find them in that file?
the amiga roms are not the same as the adfs

Last edited by a moderator:
People use the word 'rom' incorrectly..

To be precise:

There are ROMs and disk-images. A ROM is a rom-chip (or eprom), and a ROM file is a dump; traditionalyl peopel say 'roms' and mean a game (fore arcade or genesis say), including all the rom-chips dumps. So 5 rom files in one zip, calling it a 'rom'.

A disk image is what stores a game for Amiga or ST.

However, average joe uses the term 'ROM' to mean 'game', without any clue it means chip in reality; so people use 'ROM' to mean an .ST or .ADF disk image anyway.

For Amiga and ST it can be confusing though --

The realirty is the ROM is the OS or bootloader.. the chips. TOS ROM for instance, or Amiga boot loader ROM, while games on disk image.

But in reality, peopel use 'rom' to mean all of it.. anything they need to play a game.

As to the question... I'm not sure what you mean. Ask more clearly. I'm tired ;)

jeff

Well you kind of answered my question I think! I'm just wondering if these st images run under Outcast and adf images run on uae4all etc.........just like Z80 or tap run on the spectrum emu........my main concern is where to save these 'games', on a seperate roms folder to the emu or on the roms folder in the emulotor itself? I'm sure it will be easier for me to trial and error this when I get my F-200.......only 6 days to go!!

NickLoTurco said:
Well you kind of answered my question I think! I'm just wondering if these st images run under Outcast and adf images run on uae4all etc.........just like Z80 or tap run on the spectrum emu........my main concern is where to save these 'games', on a seperate roms folder to the emu or on the roms folder in the emulotor itself? I'm sure it will be easier for me to trial and error this when I get my F-200.......only 6 days to go!!
On the amiga emulator you need the kickstart images in the roms (dont bother asking for these as they are not freeware and you will have to find them yourself) folder and the games go in the disks folder.
I have no experience with the Atari emulator but Im guessing it will be something similar

<edit> just looked at the latest version and it seems that roms is now kickstarts and disks is now roms

yeah, OutCaST runs .ST and .MSA disk images (and you also need a TOS ROM file, since the ST needs its OS to be useful.)

jeff

NickLoTurco said:
Where can I get the TOS file?!?!
You search the internet for it and dont ask for it here as its not allowed

foleyjo said:
<edit> just looked at the latest version and it seems that roms is now kickstarts and disks is now roms
Yep, I have changed disks in roms because for many people, wrongly, roms=games. Then putted kickstart roms in the new kickstarts folder :D

Back