Where To Store Roms?

NickLoTurco

Website
www.hitthesport.com
Hi, I've just downloaded all the emulators I want on to my SD card. Wjen you open each emulator (on the PC) they all have a folder names ROMS, do I just shove them all in there in order for the GP2X to find them once the card is in it? Sounds obvious I know but haven't got my unit to try it out yet. Just want to get loads of stuff downloaded ready for when I'm allowed to open it up on crimbo! Also, where do you save the kick roms for the Amiga on uae4all?

NickLoTurco said:
Hi, I've just downloaded all the emulators I want on to my SD card. Wjen you open each emulator (on the PC) they all have a folder names ROMS, do I just shove them all in there in order for the GP2X to find them once the card is in it? Sounds obvious I know but haven't got my unit to try it out yet. Just want to get loads of stuff downloaded ready for when I'm allowed to open it up on crimbo! Also, where do you save the kick roms for the Amiga on uae4all?
A very wise move! I was most disappointed when I had to sit there waiting for stuff to copy across!

OK, so some ROMS need putting in $emulator/roms and some roms need putting in /roms/name_of_console - as a hint, I'd suggest starting off with the MAME / SNES / Megadrive roms using MAMEgp2x / Picosnes / Picodrive as emulators, with the ROMS in $emulator/roms

HTH,

S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Different rules for different emulators. Most of the time it's ok to put them anywhere, eg you will be able to browse to them via the emulator.

GL!

Okay, just wanted to know what that Mame Source file is on the download section? Will I need that to run Mame? if so, where do I put that? As you can see, I'm not afraid to ask stupid questions!

No you don't need the source. The source code is their for devs who plan to work on that emu to make their own or to implement updates.

also if you ever get a TG16 emu note that roms folder is on root of sd card.

well be carefull about stupid questions because some people will give you stupid answers...

Make sure you read the 'readme' for each emulator you download. This will tell you where the roms should go. Also, some emulators like Sega CD (Picodrive), GBA and PSX will require you to have the bios files (which I presume you will copy across using hardware from the systems you own <_< !)

Of course, googling 'GP2X', 'Monsterpacks' & 'Torrents' may be of some assistance .... ! Don't forget to charge your batteries for Chrimbo!!

If you are new to the gp2x scene, for a first emulator go for "picodrive" it's easy to use and you will know how to run a emulator it will be the best choice to start of with make a folder called picodrive then install the emulator in that folder and just throw in the roms in there, now you are set to go it also plays mega cd games, for mega cd install 3 bios files for each region.

And then there's always Race- which I am starting to think I will never get to work!!
My destination folder for games is

games/ngpx/roms

... with the emu & selector in the ngpx folder.

Could anyone give me the exact rom directory I need to load the roms? I'll do so with the selector preferably (though anything's better than nothing atm!). I can only uimagine that a replky from someone who's successfully installed it will help, as the cfg is extremely picky about the exact directory formatting.

I know this sound daft - I'm actually a decent computer user and have a lot of success with GP2X - but this one has truly stumped me! I've tried the 'mnt/sd/' prepending ... just can't get there.

Big thanks to any one who can help.

Back