Amiga Thread.

Searching on the net i found this (i have some old spare PC floppy disk to try )
http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/designs/Floppy_Adaptor_V2/floppy_adaptor_v2.html
and ordered one.
Now i'm waiting, i'll let you know how good is.

Update
The floppy adaptor arrived some days ago...but never found some free time to test.
Yesterday i had some free hours and installed this with a Teac FD253HF disk drive from an old PC.
Result : status led of the drive always on (clearly something goes wrong) and no disk working.
After some other thing to test i finally changed the 34 pin floppy cable with the one the old PC and finally i have heard the classic "tick" of the drive avainting some disk to read. Status led of the drive was on only when a disk is inserted and reading...finally, but a very few of the old floppy disks that i have are loading correctly. I was able to play Apidya with this TEAC drive only one time and on the next retry on guru meditations.
With a bit of disappoint i was thinking to turn off the Amiga and go outside...but i had the idea to test the old floppy Chinon FB354 with the PC cable...and magically its returning to work i loaded the game Walker (that my TEAC drive never recognised).
I also discovered that some of my floppys are bad aged resulting in some bad sectors even with the revived Chinon drive.

What to add to the floppy adapter...it's think it's functioning but maybe not so good with my TEAC disk drive...if i found some other drives i will test it.

I recently made a video on the new 68K port of OpenBOR done by the Modern Vintage Gamer guy. I just took a couple PAK files I found on the old openhandhelds repo. It's not quite Streets of Rage Remake, but cool to have a good beat-em up game on the Amiga.

A2000 update!,

Well it's been a slow process but, finally got all the parts, electrolytic capacitors all replaced, double checked all the damaged area in case I forgot anything, repairs looked good. Even replaced the floppy drive connector as someone prior must of been rough on it. Didn't power up, power supply turned it self off the second I turned it on, I did some testing and thought the board may have short or a resistive path to ground. I was contemplated bringing it into work where there was an expensive thermal camera and see if I can see where that may be. But it was too much effort trying to sneak it in and what not.

I ended up talking to someone on IRC and he had a spare board I bought off him for cheap that he claimed worked. Well it got in I tried it out and sure enough It did almost the same thing as my original. So after setting up all my bench supplies to power up the Amiga, I realized my power supply was garbage even though it was fairly new. I get the new PSU yesterday, get the board going, but oddly doesn't have RGB output only the monocrome composite. So I'll most likely need to replace the caps on that board to fix that. However just for a whim as I still think my original board has a short as It failed to power on with my bench supplies, I ended up trying it and sure enough it fires up perfectly, everything works.

So I hacked in the new ATX supply into the old Amiga PSU casing like I did before and we're off.
Repaired Motherboard, new A2K + A600 setup.
IMG_20170623_195207022.jpg IMG_20170624_124019184.jpg

Last edited:
Small easy project, A 3 button Amiga Joystick. Not many games support the 3rd button, but handy for the ones that do. I shrunk down a larger 8 button design I found on the Thingiverse, I'll post up my design one I confirm the bottom part I just barely designed works properly. Another bit of difficulty was making the DB-9 connector to be friendly with the joystick port 2 on the Amiga 600 as the right side of the port is cramped and honestly kind of poorly placed. It was a process of removing the metal shroud, remove the metal back portion on the DB-9 connector, gluing the two plastic pieces together, bending the front metal shroud to it's side and then using hot melt on the wires as kind of a stress release. then covering it with heatshrink and electrical tape as I ran out of my larger stock of it.

Only thing left is printing the bottom, I just finished designing the bottom portion, shown below.

IMG_20170701_102128381.jpg IMG_20170701_102136857.jpg IMG_20170701_102622640.jpg IMG_20170701_102650715.jpg Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 2.19.13 PM.png

Oof, that's what happens if they make a DB9 like they make a DB25 with screw in lugs I assume. Most proper joysticks of that vintage had less than 2mm clearance on the left and right. Mind you, they also used cables in the mid 20s AWG (I think), rather than that beefy cable you've got there.

@levi, Yeah that cable is 22 AWG, but 10 wires with shielding and drain ground wire... A little more beefy than needed, but I had it left over from another project.

Minor hack to my Joystick, it was obvious after playing some Turrican 2 that I hate jump being the up direction and not as a button. So I drilled a hole in the back added a SPDT toggle switch to change my third button to be either the true button 3 or act like joystick up.

Not strictly "Amiga", but kind-of. Reusing my old Amiga600 case for Raspberry Pi to run C64 and Amiga (and probably other emulation)
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/share-your-projects.74365/page-2#post-1418176

I was also wondering about my C64 joystick, and was wondering about using my Teensy to read a USB joystick and convert that to a DSUB port. So you could use Xbox360 etc. controllers on a C64.

Nice re-use of an A600 case. That Keyrah adapter is pretty cool device, while I have another A600 case, I would need to source another keyboard.

Made another video about a new WB 3.9 "Distro" made especially for the Apollo core enabled Vampire Accelerators. It's more of a Fan made bundle, but it has a lot of cool things bundled already setup. And of course I trip up what I'm saying 80% of the time in the video.

I do go over a bit of different things quickly, but somehow I still ended up making a 45 minute video.

Is that distro handy ? also what`s the deal with this cards?? still can`t buy them ?
Well it's setup already, RTG drivers, networking for the most part and such. It's filled with a bunch of games and such that show off the Vampire a bit. Saves a huge amount of time and effort.

The Vampire cards are kind of like the Pandora/Pyra project it was just done by a few guys that had no clue it would get so popular or the scope of manufacturing a complicated device. One factor both cards requires a bit of hand soldering that is time consuming and they're doing all that themselves. The V500 V2+ for the A500, A2000 and CDTV(with modifications) is handled by a guy named Majsta, I guess he just got PCB manufacturing up in running in a bigger facility and those will be in sold in small batches to stores like Amigakit and such. The V600 V2 which was handled by a guy named Kipper has bowed out of manufacturing the card for the A600 recently, He had a bad batch of boards and lost a significant amount of money, so it's up in the air weather Majsta is going to take that over or not, his focus is working on the A1200 solution and a MIST like Standalone.

You can also buy it directly from them, You can add yourself to a list and when a card is available you have 7 days to pay for it else it will go to the next guy in the list. Link here: http://orders.apollo-accelerators.com/

Last edited:
Back