Amiga Thread.

@PokeParadox hi there, why do you want to use an sdcard for that? There are emulators out there for like 30€ (Gotek) and they usually take usb sticks. Any special reason to use sdcards? Otherwise I'd recommend one of those Gotek drives, I got one and it's pretty cool. Unless you want to butcher your amiga case, you'd better get an extension board, or you can somehow mount the Gotek drive outside.

I didn't want to cut into the plastic casing and got on of these: http://www.ebay.de/itm/NEW-VERSION-...1200-A500-KMTech-Design-KIT-DIY-/121519109613
Getting the gotek open is super easy, mounting was a little bit finicky though. There were some adhesive strips included which I uses at first, but I switched them for some sturdier hotglue instead as the board was getting loose. Not the best solution but better than cutting up/drilling holes into your amiga :)

@PokeParadox hi there, why do you want to use an sdcard for that? There are emulators out there for like 30€ (Gotek) and they usually take usb sticks. Any special reason to use sdcards? Otherwise I'd recommend one of those Gotek drives, I got one and it's pretty cool. Unless you want to butcher your amiga case, you'd better get an extension board, or you can somehow mount the Gotek drive outside.

I didn't want to cut into the plastic casing and got on of these: http://www.ebay.de/itm/NEW-VERSION-...1200-A500-KMTech-Design-KIT-DIY-/121519109613
Getting the gotek open is super easy, mounting was a little bit finicky though. There were some adhesive strips included which I uses at first, but I switched them for some sturdier hotglue instead as the board was getting loose. Not the best solution but better than cutting up/drilling holes into your amiga :)
This reminds me of my dilemma. I have a couple things I want to cut holes in one of my A2e cases to mount in an accessible area. One is the (exposed) board with switches to access disk images, and the other is a USB extension cable. (These are for my CFFA 3000.) At present I have both cables running along the right side of the monitor, with the switch and the end sitting above the keyboard. I am still not sure I should do it, and I don't know why. I have several, and I plan on keeping at least two of them, and these aren't uncommon. Since they came from a school the cases are already not in great condition, with identification info marked with a marker and engraver.

What are your thoughts and reasons for not putting holes in cases? Would you do it if it were something as common as a beat up Apple IIe?

@rygD peer pressure... no really, I consider my A1200 one of my prized possessions and I wouldn't want to do a hack job on it. I could imagine that there is a proper way to do this, but I don't think I could pull it off with my dremel without it looking horrible. And if I were to ever sell the A1200 on a1k.org for example, I'd get crucified by basically the whole German scene ^^. It's considered a desecration.

To fit the extension pcb you have to cut a bit of the metal the keyboard is mounted with anyway, but that doesn't have an impact on stability of the case and can't be seen unless opened.

I did cut a slot into my C64 breadbin to mount an SD2IEC there as it's a common type and the case is pretty shit already. I guess if you are going to mod your things in a nice way and know what you're doing, drill and cut away. Just saying, that if you don't want to cut up a perfectly fine A1200/A500 case, there is another option :D

EDIT: I kind of drifted off there... in your shoes, I would at least consider possible solutions without having to cut the case first. There might still be a niftier way to package things. Is there a way for you to add two connectors for the cables and build a breakout box sort of thing with a convenient usb connector, and a panel for the switches? Mounting connectors properly should be feasible.

Last edited:
Well it's setup already, RTG drivers, networking for the most part and such. It's filled with a bunch of games and such that show off the Vampire a bit. Saves a huge amount of time and effort.

The Vampire cards are kind of like the Pandora/Pyra project it was just done by a few guys that had no clue it would get so popular or the scope of manufacturing a complicated device. One factor both cards requires a bit of hand soldering that is time consuming and they're doing all that themselves. The V500 V2+ for the A500, A2000 and CDTV(with modifications) is handled by a guy named Majsta, I guess he just got PCB manufacturing up in running in a bigger facility and those will be in sold in small batches to stores like Amigakit and such. The V600 V2 which was handled by a guy named Kipper has bowed out of manufacturing the card for the A600 recently, He had a bad batch of boards and lost a significant amount of money, so it's up in the air weather Majsta is going to take that over or not, his focus is working on the A1200 solution and a MIST like Standalone.

You can also buy it directly from them, You can add yourself to a list and when a card is available you have 7 days to pay for it else it will go to the next guy in the list. Link here: http://orders.apollo-accelerators.com/

I think it`s neat that they can speed up certain things.. but leave music and timers alone etc.. like the extra speed modes on the Spectrum Next for example.

I think it`s neat that they can speed up certain things.. but leave music and timers alone etc.. like the extra speed modes on the Spectrum Next for example.
yeah Paula is still running at the normal speed. The new FPGA core update will have a new Sound Chipset for HDMI audio, which you can still access the original Paula audio if you need/want to.

info from apollo-core.com

Gunnar von Boehn:
PAMELA is the audio chip of SAGA.

PAMELA offers

* fully compatible to PAULA
* 8 hardware AUDIO channel
* support for 8bit and 16bit samples
* high quality sample rates like 44 kHz / 48 kHz / 56 khz on any Screenmode (also 15Khz)
* full DMA support, HW Mixing.
* DMA can all access Vampire memory (up to 128 MB for samples!)

Basically PAMELA offers the AUDIO features of the never released A-A-A AMIGA Chipset.

Gunnar von Boehn:
We improved the AUDIO quality of PAMELA AUDIO Chip (PAULA 2.0) this weekend.
As you will know PAMELA support full 8 DMA driven audio channels able to play 8/16bit samples
This weekend the AUDIO quality was improved to full HI-FI levels with 24bit mixing precision plus 4-times oversampling.

What I like about this project is that it's improving itself all the time. And thanks to it being an FPGA it's entirely upgradable just by running an executable in Amiga Shell that reprograms it.

Loving that Trashy..:) :)

To be honest I would of never been interested in the A600 version. Either A500.. or more over, the A1200 one :) But as I moved from the UK to the US ( having sold all my stuff ( Amigas, C64`s Sam Coupes ) etc.. I`m really just emulating for now.

Didn't necessarily have to be SD. But I was thinking of an Everdrive like solution.
Those Goteks sound interesting, I take it you replace the internal drive, or can you get by by having it external. also suggestions where to buy? :O

@PokeParadox yes, you are supposed to replace the internal drive. There are solutions with an external case and a gotek, but that raises the costs a bit and it's not as trivial as I would have thought, apparently some adf games will not start because of the drive ID which needs to be zero.

Coming 2017 from the Apollo team - Amiga Vampire V4 announced

Standalone for me.

Coming 2017 from the Apollo team - Amiga Vampire V4 announced

Standalone for me.

I'm debating the Standalone or getting the V4 for my A2000. I'm leaning towards the Standalone at the moment. I have an Amiga portable idea brewing.

FWIW, I'd just like to have a textual scream at that video. What's the value of taking some screenshots then putting those to music over just having a webpage and an optional mp3 to listen to, so you can read through the text and cross-reference the drawings at your own speed rather than having to wait, or worse not being able to read the text before the image switches?

No criticism of you intended, Ian J - that was more of a mini rant against whoever produced that excuse for a youtube video.

FWIW, I'd just like to have a textual scream at that video. What's the value of taking some screenshots then putting those to music over just having a webpage and an optional mp3 to listen to, so you can read through the text and cross-reference the drawings at your own speed rather than having to wait, or worse not being able to read the text before the image switches?

No criticism of you intended, Ian J - that was more of a mini rant against whoever produced that excuse for a youtube video.
Agreed, if they had posted the source I would have linked to that instead.

I'll probably be interested in the standalone version

My current Amiga / Omap5 devboard setup. Devboard just has a 19" Samsung 720p TV on a Ergonomic arm, easy to move around on my Work bench, the Amiga has a 28" Samsung Smart TV, I barely use the "smart" features on. I put away the A2000 until I can soup it up with an accelerator or something, just taking up space. under the 28" TV I have an old Core Duo 2 Dell PC I was gifted, use it for Amiga cross compiling and a general Linux box I can VNC into from the Amiga, don't even have it plugged into the TV, can only remote log into it. Bonus is I have a Synergy client on my Amiga so I can control the Amiga remotely seamlessly from the Omap5 devboard. Kind of wish there was a m68k Synergy server though...
20171003_171339.jpg

Also 10,000 posts... finally
upto10000.jpg

Last edited:
Did a quick project. While I could have picked up something like this for $30 or $40 on eBay, I just payed $2.50 for the PIC 16F84A micro-controller and the rest I already had laying around.

This is actually based on a PS/2 to Amiga Mouse design, I'm just using a USB jack directly instead of a PS/2 port with a USB adapter.

I got the project from here: http://www.bneven.com/mouseps2.html , also found on Aminet: http://aminet.net/package/docs/hard/mouseps2

This is a first step, my end goal is to shrink this down and fit it into an old optical mouse I have laying around. I think with some careful soldering, I can fit the components under an IC socket. I'll likely keep this version around for my A2000.

Not my best soldering, I mis-understood the schematic on how the DB-9 connector should connected and inverted all the wires and had to go back again.

What is kind of cool is Amiga had 3-button mouse support and what surprised me using a VNC viewer(TwinVNC) on my Amiga to my Linux box is that it also seems the Button 4 and Button 5 on my logitech mouse seem to work as well as forward and back in web browsers.
20171209_162739.jpg

Last edited:
Back