An Advanced Alarm Clock Application Idea.

fraseyboy

I don't know whether something like this already exists. It should.

I'm thinking there should be some sort of alarm clock application for the Pandora. Of course it would have all the features which any good alarm clock should have (being able to set a time for the alarm, recurring by day, week, weekday etc) but the application in my head is more than JUST an alarm clock. I shall explain with the following fictional scenario:

You wake up at 7:30am to a track on the playlist which you have previously selected as your alarm playlist and a mini-rave happening beside you as your Pandora's various illuminators flash in time to said track. You lay for a while, taking in the music and gathering the energy to open the lid on your closed Pandora which resides on your bedside table. When you open it the song fades out and you take your lovely Pandora into your lap so you can check your emails and browse the news websites and forums which has all been opened for you by your Pandora. You muse over how much better your life is now that you have a Pandora to sort out your morning for you.

So basically the user sets the applications he/she wants to have opened for him/her when the alarm goes off. Possibly, if he/she is a rather organized person, he/she could also set it to open some sort of calender application. The mini-rave is, of course, optional and so is the alarm playlist. If the user is a bitter hateful and cold individual who cant stand music, he/she could also set his/her alarm sound to something more boring like a beep or two.

I, for one, think this idea is good. Nothing would pleasure me more than rolling over and seeing my sweet Pandora lying beside me on the table. As is typical of the majority of people with good ideas, I have no way of making it a reality since I don't have the necessary coding skills. But yeah. The idea is now free from the confines of my mind so hopefully somebody will pick it up and be all like IMA CODE THIS SHIT.

I accept any further extensions to my concept or feedback unless it is negative in which case I just won't read it.

good idea, i second it. also, would be nice to just macro some settings with just a button, like switching between different sets of programs, instead of having to close/open programs individually

That is a great idea. I think there are dozens of alarm programs out there. But with individual playlist and automatic programm/bookmarkopening it would be really good.

mcobit said:
That is a great idea. I think there are dozens of alarm programs out there. But with individual playlist and automatic programm/bookmarkopening it would be really good.

Every one should be fluent in setting up cron jobs right?

Last edited by a moderator:
TrashyMG said:
mcobit said:

Well, put it in a nice frontend. ;-)

TrashyMG said:
mcobit said:

Believe it or not, not every Pandora user will be a Linux geek. And GUI's make everything so much more FUN!

TrashyMG said:
Can never understand why people(general public) think Linux is just too nerdy and awkward for them :rolleyes:

Actually, I started coding an alarmClock app for my use :)
I stopped it, but will resume when I have my (1st batch) Pandora.
i will think about integrating your idea.

I have a problem. I want to be sure how "loud" the alarm is. Is it possible to read teh value of the HW-volumeWheel some how?

BTW, why I code my own and don't use cron:
You may have heard of the sleep cycles your body goes thru. if you awake on a "good spot" on that cycle you awake more refreshed.
These cycles are around 90 minutes.

My idea:
When you go to sleep (after reading the latest forum posts on your Pandora) you click a "button" on the P or the touch screen.
In advance you have set wake-up time, say, 08:00am. You activate the alarm Clock at 01:30am. The program then tries to awake you with a not to loud sound (volume Wheel problem!) at 07:30am. If oyu are at a "good spot" in your sleep cycle you will awake fresh and in a good mood. Even in a better mood as you have 30 minutes extra fro a cup of coffee :) When you do not awake it tries 10m or 15m later and if everything fails at 08:00am it goes off like a real alarm clock.

I am sure that this all can be done with a basch script, however, I want to make it nice with some Clutter-GUI :)

PS:
that wouldn't be my first project I started but never finished. So if anyone finds the idea good, please tell me so that might motivate me more.
If anyone wants to make the graphic design that would be even more motivating. :)

Creature XL said:
My idea:
When you go to sleep (after reading the latest forum posts on your Pandora) you click a "button" on the P or the touch screen.
In advance you have set wake-up time, say, 08:00am. You activate the alarm Clock at 01:30am. The program then tries to awake you with a not to loud sound (volume Wheel problem!) at 07:30am. If oyu are at a "good spot" in your sleep cycle you will awake fresh and in a good mood. Even in a better mood as you have 30 minutes extra fro a cup of coffee :) When you do not awake it tries 10m or 15m later and if everything fails at 08:00am it goes off like a real alarm clock.

I am sure that this all can be done with a basch script, however, I want to make it nice with some Clutter-GUI :)

Something like HappyWakeUp, but without the actual measuring? Could work. I'm a willing test subject when my pandora arrives :)

If anyone wants to make the graphic design that would be even more motivating. :)

What kind of graphics would you need?

btw great idea!

B-ZaR said:
Creature XL said:
My idea:

Something like HappyWakeUp, but without the actual measuring? Could work. I'm a willing test subject when my pandora arrives :)

Explains why I hit the snooze button like 5 times before waking up.

Oh, and an idea for the user interface: when alarming make every button work as snooze except for one, which is stop. This way snoozing is easy without much thought as it should, but actually stopping the alarm requires you to pay more attention, so you don't do it just to silence the thing.

What about making a gui like a real alarmclock which can be skinned like a radio-alarm or anything you think of as long as it has a digital or analogue clock display.
So you can have buttons to set alarm-time or just set the alarm by dragging the little clock-hand to the desired time like on old analogue alarmclocks.

mcobit said:
What about making a gui like a real alarmclock which can be skinned like a radio-alarm or anything you think of as long as it has a digital or analogue clock display.
So you can have buttons to set alarm-time or just set the alarm by dragging the little clock-hand to the desired time like on old analogue alarmclocks.

This calls for QML! :)

The problem is developing the algorithms for figuring out in what state the person is, if that is even possible (without testing I can't say for sure whether that program works).

thanks alot for HappyWakeup. I didn't know about it.
As was mentioned, the P has a mic so it could be possible to use that as well.

B-ZaR said:
Oh, and an idea for the user interface: when alarming make every button work as snooze except for one, which is stop. This way snoozing is easy without much thought as it should, but actually stopping the alarm requires you to pay more attention, so you don't do it just to silence the thing.

I thought about only using the touch screen, however, using the keys or the L and R button (so you can close the P is a good idea.

Till now i have a very simple gfx design. However, if someone wants to make the gfx I would use it if it is not totally different then I imagine.
Basically, it displays the current time and some buttons on the right side (Start / Setting/ ...).
Below the current time is the current date and the alarm time in a smaller font.
I am using Clutter_mm for the GUI. It is my first Clutter project.
So there are 2d-graphic-widgets (mainly buttons and text labels) which can be arranged in a 3d-space. I have tried some basic movements as well, so dialog windows can be blended or animated into teh display :)
right now my LiNUX build doesn't start up. :eek: I did not touched it for 3 month. I try to get it to work.

EDIT: Clutter

I think this is a great idea, but would this not require you to have it switched on through the night? What kind of impact would that have on the life of the battery?

Sugar_Kane said:
I think this is a great idea, but would this not require you to have it switched on through the night? What kind of impact would that have on the life of the battery?

No impact when you connect it to the charger during nighttime.

Creature XL said:
thanks alot for HappyWakeup. I didn't know about it.
As was mentioned, the P has a mic so it could be possible to use that as well.
HappyWakeUp is a proprietary piece of software, but you can always try to duplicate the functionality.

Creature XL said:
B-ZaR said:

I thought about only using the touch screen, however, using the keys or the L and R button (so you can close the P is a good idea.
If you had the Pandora open, you would probably have better sound from the speakers, and added wake-up-power-mojo with the screen lighting up. Just throwing this out here :)

Sugar_Kane said:

In low power mode with the display turned off? VERY little impact on the battery. Probably just a couple of mA power drain.

EDIT: typos

Back