Android gingerbread in a pnd?

@motaz s there any reson why video in android is stuttery? is it a codec issue or a driver isue, with some video apps like vplayer if u select hardware mode the video is a garbled mess but software mode works? is the youtube ap using hardware or software mode? could you suggest any solutions? i have a rebirth model pandora btw

@motaz s there any reson why video in android is stuttery? is it a codec issue or a driver isue, with some video apps like vplayer if u select hardware mode the video is a garbled mess but software mode works? is the youtube ap using hardware or software mode? could you suggest any solutions? i have a rebirth model pandora btw

Probably a driver problem, but notaz can probably confirm.

Yeah Youtube, Mpeg4 videos seem to stutter for sure, but it's odd Netflix streams perfectly even on a 256MB Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
2) Could not figure out the key/shortcut (if it exists) for the menu/options button (don't know for sure what it is called - on most Android phones, it is the button next to the "Home" button. The Pandora button works great as the "Home" button.

Solution in this thread :)

I'm just wondering why we are using CM7 instead of CM10? Perhaps some applications (like angry bird standard) would work with the latest release? ^^

I'm just wondering why we are using CM7 instead of CM10? Perhaps some applications (like angry bird standard) would work with the latest release? ^^

I personally have had no issues running the standard Angry Birds on the current gingerbread PND..

As for why CM10 wasn't used I think Notaz said it was too sluggish on the Pandora.

But Notaz is done with Android, someone else will need to step in to improve android support.

CM10 is Android jellybean and is nowhere as stable or fast as Gingerbread is. Also has a lot of bugs still.

Thats the reason why notaz might have gone for the older version.

All of the CM versions are maintained and the "newest version" doesn't have to be the best version.

CM10 is Android jellybean and is nowhere as stable or fast as Gingerbread is. Also has a lot of bugs still.

Thats the reason why notaz might have gone for the older version.

All of the CM versions are maintained and the "newest version" doesn't have to be the best version.

thank you for the clear answer :)

I was wondering do we still have the danger of losing data in the right memeory card if we use android , or was this fixed ? I tried checking through the thread but wasnt sure if I missed something. Thanks

I've never had that problem with the older and newer versions of the gingerbread PND. plus I think it was said it wasn't even the issue with the PND, but something that was patched up with a later version of super zaxxon.. I can't find the quote myself now..

Although with all that said I always have run Android on separate SD cards than the rest of my pandora stuff.. I guess I'm still cautious.

I've never had that problem with the older and newer versions of the gingerbread PND. plus I think it was said it wasn't even the issue with the PND, but something that was patched up with a later version of super zaxxon.. I can't find the quote myself now..

Although with all that said I always have run Android on separate SD cards than the rest of my pandora stuff.. I guess I'm still cautious.

OK Good to know Thanks

I still totally love Android on my Pandora eventhough the 256Mb memory is a bit too little to comfortably keep stuff running in the background. I'm still in doubt wether I should upgrade my Pandora for this..

I have some other small issues aswell though, stuff that's just a bit annoying but no deal breaker for me not to use Android on my Pandora.

First of all the time and battery status aren't updating on the desktop and status bar unless I have the pandora connected to a power source. Does anyone know if this can be repaired in a simple way? Both the status bar aswell as the widgets aren't updating but when I click the time widget to open the clock app, the clock is running like it should and the widget updates to the current time but stays on that time until I click it again.

Also the WiFi indicator doesn't work well, it looks like it's stuck on one stripe reception eventhough the access point is next to the pandora and data stream works fine.

Furthermore the mic of the pandora does not seem to work. I bought this nice Frequency spectrum analyzer but the software crashed when I try to select the audio source it should use.

I truly hope someone will pick up this project and will try to make Android on the pandora as good as it can be :)

external wifi sticks won't work due to Android limitations.

Yey got it to work (Dances)

what I think was the kicker was changing the wifi stick from wlan1 to wlan0 and the onboard to wlan1 as I expect android just uses wlan0.

But I also rmmod wl1251 to get rid of the built in drivers.

now when I iwconfig from within android it shows onboard as wlan1 not connected and usb stick as wlan0 connected at 54mbps.

Edit:Once im happy that I have found a way to do this without major repercussions . e.g still have onboard wifi working Ill post a guide.

He didn't post a guide yet, but it's clear how to do it. Can you try it out Notaz and update the sticky if it works? Maybe link to meandu229's thread I quoted.

Since upgrading to SuperSaxxon 1.52 gingerbread android no longer boots for me, not sure if it's related but it was working before and I can't think of anything else that has changed on my pandora.

Now I get an error about wlan module not being whitelisted, it takes a while and then eventually it comes up with an android popup saying that android keyboard has stopped unexpectedly but I can't click on that one or use the keyboard so have to pull the battery.

Anyone else experience this and is there a way to fix it?

EDIT: got it working..

Since upgrading to SuperSaxxon 1.52 gingerbread android no longer boots for me, not sure if it's related but it was working before and I can't think of anything else that has changed on my pandora.

Now I get an error about wlan module not being whitelisted, it takes a while and then eventually it comes up with an android popup saying that android keyboard has stopped unexpectedly but I can't click on that one or use the keyboard so have to pull the battery.

Anyone else experience this and is there a way to fix it?

EDIT: got it working..

And my work here is done..

Back