Android gingerbread in a pnd?

How do I open the file as root?
doing "sudo open /file/path" doesnt work
"open" isn't a linux command.
Now is a good time to learn vi the unix/linux text editor. http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/228600-vim-101-a-beginners-guide-to-vim'>http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/228600-vim-101-a-beginners-guide-to-vim
sudo vi /file/path
I used mousepad and it worked just fine. What's so special about vi?

^ It's quirky text commands make you feel like an elite unix haxor..

outside of that it doesn't require an X session to work, vi has been around for decades.. it's kind of a Unix/Linux staple..

vi gives you many powerful commands that make editing text faster (less keystrokes) than a Notepad style editor. It is also available on almost every *nix system, so you never need to install a text editor to get your work done.

I have been using the latest version of the Gingerbread PND with good results. I have set up my Google Play account and have successfully download some apps. I had started another thread about looking for a "movies database" program for the Pandora. Instead I downloaded an Android app that works great on the 1ghz Pandora. The one thing I would like to do is to put all my new downloaded apps on the SD2 card. So far I cannot do that. I tried to edit the apps and click on "Move to SD Card" and that does not work. Any suggestions?

I have been using the latest version of the Gingerbread PND with good results. I have set up my Google Play account and have successfully download some apps. I had started another thread about looking for a "movies database" program for the Pandora. Instead I downloaded an Android app that works great on the 1ghz Pandora. The one thing I would like to do is to put all my new downloaded apps on the SD2 card. So far I cannot do that. I tried to edit the apps and click on "Move to SD Card" and that does not work. Any suggestions?
Most apps don't aupport moving to SD card. It is a limitation of the OS that I hope Google fixes in the future. It would be nice to make a partition on an SD card to run in RAID with the system stoarage so you can put more apps on there at a time.

Most apps don't aupport moving to SD card. It is a limitation of the OS that I hope Google fixes in the future. It would be nice to make a partition on an SD card to run in RAID with the system stoarage so you can put more apps on there at a time.
Hmmmm?? I remember reading that also. I was hoping it would since the option came up on the screen. It is possible I could transfer it myself manually or does Gingerbread have to do it?

Get the app called "Apps to SD" it helps you transfer the ones that support it, but not many do. Also, part of the app stays on the internal storage in order to make it load faster so often it just moves cached photos and stuff like that as apposed to the actual app

Moving apps to the sd card is broken in pandora android. (the android secure container is broken). If you have a 2nd ext2 partition on the 2nd sd card, you can use link2sd to symlink apps to it.

The Epic Citadel Demo/Benchmark has been released for Android. I don't have Android on my Pandora but I would like to know if this gem runs on the Pandora, and especialy how fast. :)

Please check if you can:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.epicgames.EpicCitadel
Actually runs amazing good on my Rebirth Pandora. Set to 1Ghz, with default SGX/Memory clocking..  This is a beautiful tech demo, my smartphone's camera didn't do this justice.

Benchmark Results:

Pandora_Rebirth_EpicCitadel%20.jpg

Video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Epic citidal runs at 59fps in high quality mode on my nexus 4 and nexus 7 but its nice to see it looking great on the Pandora :)

I'm sure a 1Ghz Pandora may do a bit better.. Just pleasantly surprised it's actually playable.. 

I tried overclocking the SGX/Memory a tad, didn't have any noticeable speed gains.. Setting it to high quality only gave me a 2 FPS loss and still seemed fairly smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no reason why it should not run well.
That "game" was developed by Chair to Demo Unreal Engine on the iPhone 4.
But nice to see that it also works on our Pandoras, i have to test it on the 1GHz:)

Hello...

Is there anyway to increase the internal storage. It is nice that the PND recognizes my 16gB SD card in SD2 as the storage. SD card  I was able to download and install some

apps just fine. I found one I really wanted, but after the download I got an error when the app was being installed. It said that it could not install the app to the SD card. Any reason why this is happening and is there a way I can get it.

15fps for the demo sounds a little bnit low for performance mode. i've read that even older Smartphones get easily over 30 FPS with higher settings, So I wonder wehre (again) is the bottleneck on the Pandora? GPU or CPU?

I'm thinking it's CPU.. I lowered the resolution in half and only gained a Half a frame a second.

I only get 20FPS on my Motorola Droid-X which has a 45nm OMAP3630 clocked default at 1Ghz vs the 65nm OMAP3430 the rebirth Pandora has... my guess the OMAP3730 in the 1GHz Pandora will preform similarly.

Funny thing is, the Unreal engine is actualy pretty fast and performs quite nice. I remember playing Unreal 1 fluid on a 266MHz PC, so for me, 1GHz (especialy on a Handheld) is actualy alot if you've grown up in the 90's. ^^

Would anyone here be willing to sign a petition to add an Android-spacific option in the Pandora Nub configurator? I haven't made it yet, but I'd like to test the waters.

Back