Angstrom Repository

DoubleDash

Just want to download the 'gcc_4.3.3' package but this does not download, probably because the available downloads have been renamed? The available packages listed are:

gcc 4.3.3-r23.1.6 for armv5te (Ångström 2010.x glibc armv5te base feed)

gcc 4.3.3-r23.1.6 for armv7a (Ångström 2010.x glibc armv7a base feed)

gcc 4.3.3-r20.1.6 for armv6 (Ångström 2010.x glibc armv6 base feed)

gcc 4.3.3-r19.1.6 for armv4t (Ångström 2010.x glibc armv4t base feed)

gcc 4.3.3-r11.1.5 for i686 (Ångström 2010.x glibc i686 base feed)

gcc 4.3.3-r1.1 for armv7a (Ångström 2008.6 glibc armv7a base feed)

Anyone know which arm version I should be using for this and other package downloads?

armv7a

What do you mean by "the available downloads have been renamed"?

armv7a

What do you mean by "the available downloads have been renamed"?

Hi Neko

I'm building Torpors Toolchain links into a batch job with some other stuff for easy rebuilding of my dev environment from SD card.

The gcc part failed to download.

Code:
sudo bash 

opkg update

opkg install gcc_4.3.3 gcc-symlinks gcc-doc make_3.81 make-dev binutils-dev vim_7.2 vim-syntax

When I browsed the available packages (angstrom gcc 4.3) they all had release #'s after them which does not match 'gcc_4.3.3'.

This seems like the reason why it was not downloading to me. (Collected errors....Cannot find package gcc_4.3.3.ipk)

EDIT

- Filtering on architecture armv7a does show gcc but this is only a link back to the versioned ipks for all architectures.

- Also the link to the ipk file suggests an unstable version:

'http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/base/gcc_4.3.3-r23.1.6_armv7a.ipk'
sad.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts:

1) The 'unstable' part is fine, don't take it too seriously.

2) You should *always* do "opkg update && opkg search gcc" to find the right package name, for e.g. gcc. There were place-mark package names for gcc which pointed to the 'real versioned' packages, but maybe these haven't been replaced yet - or maybe you will get the new placemarkers after you do 'opkg update' .. not sure if you do that or not, but I just want to stress that the angstrom repo's are in a state of flux and therefore the update is necessary.

3) Is this for Hotfix 5? I'd like to also update my instructions for onboard compiling, and having just done the hotfix upgrade, I'm also trying to catch up on this so as to bring the on-Pandora development situation back to stability (on my machines). Perhaps you can share details?

My thoughts:

1) The 'unstable' part is fine, don't take it too seriously.

2) You should *always* do "opkg update && opkg search gcc" to find the right package name, for e.g. gcc. There were place-mark package names for gcc which pointed to the 'real versioned' packages, but maybe these haven't been replaced yet - or maybe you will get the new placemarkers after you do 'opkg update' .. not sure if you do that or not, but I just want to stress that the angstrom repo's are in a state of flux and therefore the update is necessary.

3) Is this for Hotfix 5? I'd like to also update my instructions for onboard compiling, and having just done the hotfix upgrade, I'm also trying to catch up on this so as to bring the on-Pandora development situation back to stability (on my machines). Perhaps you can share details?

Hi torpor.

1) Ok.

2) Did the first time I opkg'ed toolchain, only had to force one package. Also did update this time. The update is taking a while so I'm now wondering if I then did it in two stages and the repo changed in between! I've redirected the download errors into a file and so can opkg search for place names I guess.

3) It's HF5 RC2 but as Pandora firmware is a moving target and not linked to any specific release or change log, that's about all I can say for certain. The OS boots up with text detailing HF5 RC2. The version I downloaded was pandora-rootfs.tar.bz2 (28th Feb 19:47) , the current (as of now) is pandora-rootfs.tar.bz2 04-Mar-2011 11:39 190M, so can't be sure of any other changes. Looks like I'm already out of date! I guess it just proves the need for some sort of automated development setup :)

BTW the package list update just finished and I ran 'sudo opkg download gcc_4.3.3' and it could not find the package so looks like 'opkg search' is needed!

Would 'sudo opkg search *gcc*' do it?

Umm 'sudo opkg search *gcc*' returned nothing.

As did 'sudo opkg list *gcc*'.

Redirecting the package list to a file proved to be useful ('sudo opkg list >anyfilename').

Using a text editor and browsing through <anyfilename>, searching for 'gcc' I found the line:

gcc - 4.3.3-r23.1.6 - The GNU cc and gcc C compilers.......

It looks like the first name up to the first dash is the package name so I just replaced 'opkg install gcc_4.3.3' with 'opkg install gcc' and the world was good again :)

(maybe I expected a doubledash
tongue.gif
)

torpor, it looks like what you said about things being in a state of flux is the case. Possibly the angstrom guys are just doing a cleanup job on the package name references. I'll PM you with the revised version if/when I get it working if you think it will be of any use to you.

Hope this helps a few other newbies to get going :)

Umm 'sudo opkg search *gcc*' returned nothing.

As did 'sudo opkg list *gcc*'.
Try it with this (note the single apostroph before and after the asterisk):

Code:
sudo opkg search '*gcc*'

That'll be the one, thanks mash :)

Much easier now to home in on the required ipk.

Interestingly it repeats entries, perhaps they are for different architectures?

Back