Annoying fsck check at boot?

patrick295767

Hi,

It can happen that Linux crashes, unfortunately. So the cold reset is the only way (hold pan key and switch).

The machine reboots Linux but visibly ALL the time (really ALL the time) I need to halt and slot in my Rescue CF disk, reboot again and do:

fsck.ext2 -r /dev/mmc...X

It is annoying. 

First why it occurs all the time? On a regular Linux, you never get such troubles. I have a Sheeva Multiboot and it never happens or very seldom (if, really if, it crashes).

fsck at boot is capable to go through. I do a /forcefsck every friday and it works

fsck shall be capable to fix itself the disk. 

What goin' on Pandora systems? Why so different to any other Linux distro (likely kernel)?

Regards

vcmVNOQ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
broken/corrupt SD card?

Try booting without any SD cards, or with a new one (preferably from a reputable shop with a big-name brand)

Hmm, the distris I used so far (Debian, OpenSuSE, ArchLinux) never do a FORCED fsck at boot, only a normal one.

If the normal one fails, it let's the admin login and run fsck manually.

Otherwise, important data could be destroyed.

So it behaves like a normal Linux distri, though I haven't encountered a forxed fsck on the Pandora so far, normally, a normal scan is enough.

Just to make sure: Which OS are we talking about here? Is it the internal Ångström, or is it one of the SD-card dists (PanDebian, Slackware, ...) or is it something you built yourself?

Just to make sure: Which OS are we talking about here? Is it the internal Ångström, or is it one of the SD-card dists (PanDebian, Slackware, ...) or is it something you built yourself?
Well, it's /dev/mmcblk0p1, so it's running from an SD Card.

To the original poster:

Make sure to not use ext2 - that breaks all the time on an unwanted reset.

With ext3, you shouldn't have these issues, it can be automatically repaired in 99,9% of all the cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I like SL4P the biggest downside is the forced check after nearly every shutdown.

Should be able to use the tune2fs  command to alter automatic e2fsck  settings

"man tune2fs" for more info.

I just wanted to establish that this is not the behaviour of the "normal" firmware.

Should this be moved to "Software - Other OS"?

Because it works.

As uboot can't handle boot on ext4 natively and i want to keep things simple, this is what i recommend.

That's kind of unfortunate though.. Maybe it'd be best to have some small boot partition that's ext2 or something else and keep the majority ext4. Especially with the problems older Pandoras can have with SD cards, it sucks to not have journaling.

I wonder why uboot can't handle ext4..

Back