another android preference poll (anonymous)

Do you want Android as an option in addition to a Linux distrobution on the Pandora successor?

• yes

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • no

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • don't care either way

Votes: 27 45.0%

• Total voters

SNESFAN

Retro game fanatic
see above

EDIT:

some unambiguous clarification for the first question

If you want or think android should be made available on pandora, yes

if you don't want or think android should be made available on pandora, no

if you think it's a good idea for others to have it just not for you, yes

if you think it's not a good idea for anyone to have it, no

if you don't care about you or others having it, you don't care

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming "don't care" means approximately "It will not change my behavior either way if android does or doesn't materialize on Pandora Successor as an alternative, because I'm mainly interested in the primary linux OS"?

I'm sure this has already been pointed out, but:

There will always be better and faster Android only devices in the market. The P2 will probably not be "da hot thing" to get even at launch and will be totally redundant within months. This does not change the fact that several games will be playable with the P2, it just means that anyone looking for Android is likely to view P2 as "unimportant expensive noise" pretty soon.

So, no, I do not believe the effort poured into this would, especially in the long term, pay back. And I have my suspicions even of the short term...

Then: Android software is often still targeted at the lowest common denominator... when it comes to controls, not GPU+CPU! So the biggest "for" the P2 has is limited in it's utility by software vendors who might not ever have even heard of the device. Sure, Shield changes things. Yes the Sony Phoneysoles are changing things. But where then is the P2 advantage again when these two start spreading and get cheaper?

I'm still not sure people looking for an Android device would appreciate the capability to dual boot.to a tidy Linux. The other way, people looking for a tidy Linux device that in a pinch can boot Android, maybe... but a year after your P2 purchase you might be better off buying the octacore POS Chinese device that has the latest stuff in it's flimsy shell and costs about the same as a good quality Sundisk SD card for the P2 would... (ok, ok, I exaggerate... a bit).

But I have no personal feelings either way. I mean, "feelings about bundling Android to P2".

(About Android itself I do, ranging from technical topics, to commercial topics to everything in between... Doesn't everyone? But I shall not bring them forth here in the hope that I won't derail this poll thread and also because things have been said and said and said and shouted and I don't feel like shouting "yea" or "nay" to them anymore.)

So: I'm not looking for an Android device, I'm not about to buy one unless it can run something else and then I will just flash the Android away as soon as possible anyways. If Android is deemed a good publicity stunt and makes the device more popular: whatever.

There'll be no other advantage to me other than how many P2s will be out there and perhaps in the distant future thus affect spare (used) parts availability etc. But I see that as an advantage too, so sure, if you think bundling that... thing... with the P2 makes it sell hotter than fresh bread, do go ahead...

Edit: To be fair, I boot Slackware on the Pandora more than SuperZaxxon and would not mind it if I could switch Slack <--> Zaxxon (i.e. Slack on NAND, Zaxxon on SD)... so, basically, it might be I'm a totally lost cause in the sense that I might not use the default OS whatever you make it...

I said yes, and I said it should be crowd sourced... because honestly, that's the only way it's going to happen... unless ED has some trick up his sleeve.

If it get's crowd sourced... the funding is going to be very limited.

Honestly with the negative attitude here, I think the only way this is going to happen is if ED does something about it with the intention of expanding the P2 target market... which I personally think is a wise thing to do.

That"s not how you make polls. But anyway.
um... well obviously it is. Read the title -> answer the question.

I feel the entire spectrum of answers are available for the 2 serious questions I asked.

1) do you want it at all in addition to your linux

2) how would you prefer it happen if yes

I mean... unless you're talking about my joke questions and answers... then critique away.

"don't care" literally means don't care but feel like voting anyway.

"don't care" literally means don't care but feel like voting anyway.
It is an important option: If it had not existed I would have chosen "yes" as in "*shrug* why not if someone happens to like it".

Actually what had me scratching my head was the section two: there was no "whatever way you like, because I chose whatever in the first section"...

^ sorry, fixed the verbiage on the 2nd question's bipartisan answer (option 4) to say nothing past "i don't care"

figured if you weren't opposed to it then you'd be fine with it there.

"Do you want Android as an option in addition to a Linux distrobution on the Pandora successor?"

If you answer "no", does that mean you don't want it [yourself], or does it mean you don't want it to be an option [for anyone]? There is a big difference between those two. Since there is also a "don't care" option, I'm interpreting "yes" to mean "I want it", "don't care" to mean "I don't want it myself but don't mind having it as an option", and "no" to mean "I don't want it to be available as an option".

So I answered "don't care".

It's kind of ambiguous how to interpret the question though.

I wouldn't look too much into it. If you think it should be available then yes, if no then no.

but I guess you could break it down like this

If you want it, yes

if you don't want it, no

if you think it's a good idea for others to have it just not you, yes

I wouldn't look too much into it. If you think it should be available then yes, if no then no.

but I guess you could break it down like this

If you want it, yes

if you don't want it, no

if you think it's a good idea for others to have it just not you, yes

I don't want it.

I don't think it's a good idea to recommend it to others; I would recommend GNU/Linux instead.

Still, maybe some people like it and of course I don't want to take the option away from them.

I care about what I use (GNU/Linux, not Android), but I don't really care about what other people use - it's their problem.

What should I answer?

sounds like you don't care, because you don't object and aren't in favor

EDIT:

I think I see the confusion now. Not wanting to use it is not the same as being against the idea of it being there. The question is if it should be there or not, not just your desire to use it.

I am pleased to see that "Official (Openpandora GmbH) provided, added cost to production/development to hire/contract a developer" hasn't gained much support.

I'm surprised, but it saddens me to think about what notaz says about if it's not official it won't happen. If the general opinion is let someone else take care of it, it most likely won't. Maybe by the time this comes around I'll be ready to try it.

Something like "Android availability is... critical / desirable / welcome / unimportant / undesirable / unacceptable" would probably reflect the atmosphere better. The current options in the first question, if I understood the later clarifications correctly, funnels most indifferent opinions to the "yes" bracket, which ranges from "I'm not opposed to it" to "I can't live without it". The "no" bracket seems on the other hand to be reserved for people actively against any android support from community or otherwise. Unless the goal was to count the people actually opposed to android, the first question with the current options is somewhat misleading.

it's not misleading, that's what the situation is, wanting it, wanting to see it available, not wanting to actually use it but want it there for others. "liking" the idea of android existing on the pandora all end in the same result of being in favor of it being there.

being indifferent to it's existance results in the same of not caring if it's there

and being against the idea would result in it not being a good idea for it to be there.

I do feel most answers will either land in favor or indifferent, but I think thats an accurate representation of those groups feel towards the idea.

@SNESFAN,   

I wouldn't have added community funded/maintained - as that pretty much isn't an option really if you do want Android .  So if the majority of people say yes to Android , and the majority of people say yes to to community funded, that pretty much cancels it out. But then again I've just learnt Notaz wasn't paid , so maybe there is a chance an Android dev could be sourced for what the community could afford.

Is the addition of Android worth it. IMO it is, as a P2 with no changes is just a P1 with a better SOC etc, I think Id like an extra dimension to the DragonBox. Adding Android will allow you to have a kickass Linux UMPC, a great emulator handheld for old games, and Android which will enable you to play current/future gen Android games that will take advantage of the improved HW.    ie best for Linux UMPC lovers, and those that want the best device for old and new games

It is only good for you because you pay less for something you want and not for everybody else paying more for something they don't need. It would be different if it was an exclusive choice between linux or android or both had already been planned by ED, but it seems that linux is given and android would be incurring additional costs and delays.

Personally this mentality of offloading costs to others annoys me quite a lot. Exactly like claiming ad supported apps/sites/whatever that my unsuspecting grandmother is paying for whenever she goes shopping were 'free'. It isn't, it is simply parasitic, especially because all of this is non essential.

It is important to realize that ED has no magic wand. He has very limited ressources and must make compromises. Whether the result is attractive for you or me or hopefully both of us remains to be seen, but adding options (even seemingly attractive ones) is often a good way to ruin your business plan. I think we've seen this with stretch goals in crowd funding campaigns. Though adding Android support would make a rather adequate stretch goal if it wasn't directly managed by ED and wouldn't be a requirement for the release.

^ Then we should not add any new HW features that people want either, because each of those are only wanted by a percentage and not everyone. In the end , only some people are going to ever want any new feature, if you adopted your mentality , nothing would change, as you would never get a feature wanted by absolutely everyone.

Something like "Android availability is... critical / desirable / welcome / unimportant / undesirable / unacceptable" would probably reflect the atmosphere better. The current options in the first question, if I understood the later clarifications correctly, funnels most indifferent opinions to the "yes" bracket, which ranges from "I'm not opposed to it" to "I can't live without it". The "no" bracket seems on the other hand to be reserved for people actively against any android support from community or otherwise. Unless the goal was to count the people actually opposed to android, the first question with the current options is somewhat misleading.
the only question that matters is.

Will you buy the successor if it does nit have official android support?

if the answer is no, then ED needs to have it.

If the answer is yes, then its not critical to have Android and just nice to have. I suspect the answer is clearly yes.

^ Then we should not add any new HW features that people want either, because each of those are only wanted by a percentage and not everyone. In the end , only some people are going to ever want any new feature, if you adopted your mentality , nothing would change, as you would never get a feature wanted by absolutely everyone.
adding hardware is not very costly as long as you plan for it early on. Software needs ongoing support.Dont mix the two.

Back