Another Job For The Pandora

Suntan

Still Fresh
The pandora would be a home theaters best friend. A lot of money is spent on good quality remotes and wireless keyboards (I've spent enough over the years to buy a couple pandoras).

First, "netremote" is a program to control your media PC with a PDA, with the touchscreen *and* keyboard, the Pandora would be much better. Drivers to communicate via bluetooth would be great.

Also, a lot of people are sitting waiting for these "sideshow" remotes to become available and most of them will cost more than the Pandora anyway. Accessing your audio files and quing up songs without having to turn on the main display is a big demand in the HTPC crowd.

A few links to related products.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboard...48&cl=us,en

http://www.ricavision.com/vave100.html

http://www.promixis.com/products.php?section=netremote

-Suntan

Kloplop321 said:
Uhh, that's for Windows not Linux.
Yeah, thanks. I couldn't bridge that gap without you.

The point I was making is that there is a desire for a small, long battery life system to control large media systems. Having a touchscreen *and* a hard keyboard would be very desirable.

-Suntan

Last edited by a moderator:
the thing is, it can fit in your pocket and already has a touch screen AND a keyboard :p
and for when playing Mp3, it should last 56 hours.

Suntan said:
The pandora would be a home theaters best friend. A lot of money is spent on good quality remotes and wireless keyboards

This is true, and the Pandora certainly has the hardware to make the world's greatest home theater remote (with an easy IR mad, at least). Unfortunately, FOSS universal remote software is lacking in the sort of pizazz that people expect when they pay over $300 for a high end remote. I'm not aware of any that support macros or DVD jukebox browsing. Perhaps somebody will write the necessary software or polish up an existing project, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Somebody would have to be pretty excited about this sort of project to put in the effort necessary to make it work well.
Kloplop321 said:
the thing is, it can fit in your pocket and already has a touch screen AND a keyboard :p
and for when playing Mp3, it should last 56 hours.
Apparently somebody didn't have exact change for the clue bus and had to settle for a ride on the befuddled trolley.

OH, now I get it lol. I'm paying attention to too many scenes right now..(7 forums, 2 IRC rooms, Ventrilo, and MSN)

I love your analogies though Chip. :p

Kloplop321 said:
I love your analogies though Chip. :p
I'm beginning to suspect in real life, Chip is a bus driver...

General FOSS support for remotes isn't there, true, but for something easily hackable like Freevo (which is what I use for my HTPC under Linux) you could pretty easily write a plugin that would do this over Bluetooth or wireless; probably the easiest would be just replicating the usual on-screen interface to the pandora. Since Freevo is written almost entirely in Python, scripting it wouldn't be too bad; it already has plugins for control via LIRC or joysticks, after all.

With some real effort, you could probably stream audio and maybe even video to your "wireless remote" to the amazement of friends, but personally I wouldn't use that much.

LinuxMCE has the ability to be controlled by what they call webpads... their GUI looks pretty bad, imho, but there's a LOT of functionality.

Also, I'm pretty sure MythTV listens on at least one port for remote commands (there were several people coding little remote apps, one of them a webapp for the iPhone/iPod touch). I don't know how sophisticated such a remote could be (ie if you can fetch "Now Playing" information, cover art etc.), but it is a possibility

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
-_-
anyway, too bad the pandora won't have built-in iR... those were GREAT on palm devices, the remote controller apps were superb!
The IR usually is too weak to use a remote control. I've tried multiple palm pilots and ppc's. There are a couple of models that work well, but other than that, you have to be very close for these to work.

Chip said:
This is true, and the Pandora certainly has the hardware to make the world's greatest home theater remote (with an easy IR mad, at least). Unfortunately, FOSS universal remote software is lacking in the sort of pizazz that people expect when they pay over $300 for a high end remote. I'm not aware of any that support macros or DVD jukebox browsing. Perhaps somebody will write the necessary software or polish up an existing project, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Somebody would have to be pretty excited about this sort of project to put in the effort necessary to make it work well.

Haven't used xlobby for a long time, but I believe it supports linux and has provisions for PDA control along the lines of netremote.

Anyway, onboard IR is not really a problem. Most advanced systems do not rely on IR from the actual head unit. Too likely that mis-alignment will cause a loss of control, plus a lot of people don't even have the components visible, let alone in the same room.

As for the will, the biggest drawback to people currently looking to do this is the lack of small+long battery life+ real keyboard.

Anyway, I have no need for it, I have my system controlled via traditional universal remote, I do not like touchscreen remotes myself.

-Suntan

JakeK said:
waffles said:
Sphinxter said:
I like my lite-on sk7100 airboard for the perfect infra red remote.

isn't that what thy have in hotels?

What hotels do you go to? :p

I think most chain hotels have them, with those little setups where you pay a ridiculous amount of money to use basic internet access.
they have kinda dropped off in popularity due to wifi and all.

Back