Another new machine...

So $60,000 then let's low ball and say only 1000 pre-orders for sake of easy calculation and that would be $75,000 just to allow someone to pre-order the device, of which very little can be mentioned?

Then the creator is trying to promote and raise these funds on what could tentatively be viewed as a competitors forum. If I'm Craig, which of course I'm not so I don't intend to represent him, but I'd be pissed.

I'm not saying the device or idea is bad, but I don't like the initial presentation. If Craig was not planning the Pandora cube, then I could see a possible collaboration to at least make them have some sort of complimentary usage scheme.

Fact is, Craig does imply the Pandora cube may still be on his to do list and this seems to me to be nothing more than attempt to use the successful community here to gain funding. Open Pandora didn't raise a cent from the community to my knowledge without complete disclosure as to what the money was for (in our case the actual unit) of which we fully knew what we were giving money for. I don't personally feel comfortable with the idea of contributing a lot of cash to eventually find out exactly what I was donating toward. I also don't like a project panning for donations on another companies forum. I highly doubt permission of Open Pandora was asked to do this.

Sorry if I sound negative, this just rubs me the wrong was all around.

So $60,000 then let's low ball and say only 1000 pre-orders for sake of easy calculation and that would be $75,000 just to allow someone to pre-order the device, of which very little can be mentioned?

Then the creator is trying to promote and raise these funds on what could tentatively be viewed as a competitors forum. If I'm Craig, which of course I'm not so I don't intend to represent him, but I'd be pissed.

I'm not saying the device or idea is bad, but I don't like the initial presentation. If Craig was not planning the Pandora cube, then I could see a possible collaboration to at least make them have some sort of complimentary usage scheme.

Fact is, Craig does imply the Pandora cube may still be on his to do list and this seems to me to be nothing more than attempt to use the successful community here to gain funding. Open Pandora didn't raise a cent from the community to my knowledge without complete disclosure as to what the money was for (in our case the actual unit) of which we fully knew what we were giving money for. I don't personally feel comfortable with the idea of contributing a lot of cash to eventually find out exactly what I was donating toward. I also don't like a project panning for donations on another companies forum. I highly doubt permission of Open Pandora was asked to do this.

^^ not going to bother the type it up in my words as this pretty much covers everything I would say.

I'm well into gadgets and I might even buy it once I know what it actually does but this seems the wrong place to promote it. Not fair to piggy back on OPT's hard work in gaining a community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2deIEusLF0

Is by the same guy, it looks like he somehow made a video with MS word.

I don't have a lot more to say about this. It's odd. It's how I imagine a Nigerian scammer would go about trying to raise money for a console.

The guy seems to have a lot of energy, he should maybe put that energy to use by actually leaning about electronics, open source, programming, mass production, real costs & marketing so he can go halfway to answering some real questions and not just saying how everything is a 'really cool idea man'.

Right now I don't know how anyone can take it seriously at all.

I almost bought this guys first console, it was cheap for what it came with at the time especially considering it's form factor, it could be used as a HTPC. I think the reason I didn't was I was tight on cash and like all PCs a month after it came out it was cheaper to build a PC from scratch.

I wish this guy the best of luck, if he gets around half of the cash 5 days before his deadline he might make it. I watch these kind of projects and if it is one I like I donate right at the end to help them squeak by. On these sites it is usually they make it early or not at all though.

i was thinking a similar thing...

i know it's not a scam but it doesn't seem like the most professionally run project i've come accross. those videos are just cringeworthy, they do nothing but taint the project with an air of "WTF is going on?".

personally i'd want to see a protoype in action and a list of hardware specs before i plonked down my cash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh. Well, there is probably good intention there, but intention builds no hardware. Had good intentions built hardware, we'd all had our pandoras two years ago. Neither does banging about words like "Open" and "Crowdsourcing" make it so, especially not here. OPT has actually a (fairly, given realistic assumptions) open game console, right now, making the claims for this device wrong to start off with. Here, when you want to talk about something being open and crowdsourced and whatever, you would at least need to match OPT on it - Answer questions, detail the specs, and so on. Especially if the would-be supporters are to part not with $300, but with $5000-ish? Or whatever - I can't even get my head straight on what a "supporter" here is actually supposed to do. Supply money and get a T-shirt? Play games that turn you into a hallucinating freak? I don't get it.

So, lay it open:

* What do you expect people to do?

* What are they going to get from that?

* How is this going to get accomplished?

The minimum part of "Open" must be at least not to wilfully hide the contents of your offer. Doing that is not known as "Crowdsourcing", even though it is "sourcing money from the crowd" - it is called scamming.

Competitor? I wouldn't say that.. That's like a fight between, oh, Debian and Ubuntu... It's just wrong.

So in summary, what do we want?

We want more information on where our money's going, more information on how open the console is, and how he plans to 'crowdsource'.

Is this it?

I don't think Craig see's it as a threat.

Anyone else find it odd that under the new features on the promo video they say a new name and new design? I wouldn't really call them features myself.

However best of luck to them, I hope it goes really well for them.

Competitor? I wouldn't say that.. That's like a fight between, oh, Debian and Ubuntu... It's just wrong.

So in summary, what do we want?

We want more information on where our money's going, more information on how open the console is, and how he plans to 'crowdsource'.

Is this it?

Jourdy, I have always thought of you as an enthusiastic friend on these boards. So please take a step back and look at this sensibly. What we have here is someone hawking to a community he knows fronted the preorder cash to get the Pandora's made. So an objective observer might reason he's here to get those of us interested in "open" projects to help fund him, just on our faith. While this is fine, in a sense, he has managed to avoid answering the basic questions needed to foster any kind of logical support.

Imagine if Craig has said, " I want to raise $60,000, then for $15 you can preorder an amazing open handheld" yet failed to tell you what the handheld features are or exactly what freedom you have on the device, do you honestly think $60,000 would have been raised? Could you imagine if Craig has done this on say a Gamepark or Sony forum? Just how poorly received that would have been? EDIT: Question, if $55,000 is raised and that's not enough, what happens to the $55,000? Will the project continue? These are the kind of things that worry me...

Look, I'd say if he came back and laid out the plan. Told what the specs and open possibilities were, then he may have some people on board. Fact is, he made some rather vague statements, and after asking for donations anyway, has not been back to give the kind of details people have been asking. Once he does that, then I have no problem with it. But I think seeing as how Craig does seem to have Pandora Cube plans, it's only right this guy ask him if it's OK to try to ask for potential business here.

There have been too many people in this world who offer great things with good intentions who have done nothing but rip people off. I'm not saying this guy will. I don't know him. But I don't have to become friends with a bear or even follow him around for months in the wilderness to get the idea he may think of me as lunch. Some things you just get a feeling about and have to trust those instincts. I hope I'm wrong here. If this device comes out does wonderful things, then I will be wrong and happy about it. I just don't want to see people plunk down a lot of hard earned cash without getting some clear cut answers. That's all.

Everything we need to know isn't here:

Envizions Computer Entertainment Corporation is a communications, security, and entertainment powerhouse. We provide business and consumer solutions for both products and services. We specialize in computer hardware, operating systems, entertainment consoles, communication vehicles, and biometric security. We also provide services in wireless technology, storage options, file security, VoIP service, content distribution, support, and upgrades. With the use of technology, Envizions is steadily advancing current technology into new age applications. The company's current growth and expansion into telecommunications provides another level of stability in today's emerging markets. Envizions strives to provide reliable customer support and the highest level of product quality.

biometric security
Ow. I like biometric stuff about as much as I like DRM.

Oh, by the way, the hardware is 100% open? Do I smell bullshit here? If even one chip it uses is not open, then that is just a lie. Not even the Pandora has 100% open hardware.

I have no idea how to build an open source gaming platform. But this is not the way. The people who give him $15 will never see their money again and they will never get to see the computer. I mean $15*5000 that's nothing! I bet OPT paid more for craigs vodka during the last two hard years. All he's got is som smiling people and a wishlist of what he wants to have in a computer. If the hardware is so open where's the real hardware specifications and the blueprints? I've seen better wishlists from people on theese boards and I rather give them my money then this guy (No I wont give you any money so dont pm me).

At best he's a dreamer with a bad plan, at worst it's a scam.

I'm sure it's all completely legit. Once he has the money he'll just need to deposit it into your account as his will not allow certain transactions which only an international bank can provide. For allowing him this favour he will give you $2000 of the final amount, and simply requires that you give him your bank account details and sort code.

He's totally reading from a piece of paper, he isn't putting his heart into it!

At least craig will sit out in the snow with the pandora slightly drunk and say it as it comes.

Back