Another One Bites The Dust...

DaveC

Internal Development
Looks like it may be over for the Giz.. Another handheld to crumble under the Sony/Nintendo juggernaught.

Gizmondo RIP

This is one of those cases that everyone outside the company saw it coming, and insiders either refused to believe, simply outright didn't care.

I just don't see anyone getting any sizable market share in portable market other than Nintendo and Sony. Sony made it only because of their Sony fanboys and Playstation brand name. I'd rather think cellphones can be a real threat to Nintendo as they get more and more powerful and have mass market.

That's what I was going to add as well. The Giz would've died with or without Nintendo and Sony. Really, if there was one other alternative to the Giz, It would've still failed because of their business practices.

Oh, and because the hardware blew.

Ads, and a really bad selection of games with little to no community support, and no official support, plus no replacements if your battery fails.

but is there anything this system has to offer that would be worth picking it up if the prices drop to like $50?

I don't know,

you could use it as an eyesight tester. If you could read the text on that little gameboy sized screen you have good vision.

You could use it as a productivity enhancer. Since there are few games on it and those few suck so you wouldn't lose time from playing it.

Its wedge shaped design makes a good doorstop.

It could be a Christmas tree ornament if you painted it red and green and put glitter on it.

It could protect you, if someone attacked just fling it at their head, or better yet show them one of the games, that would surely send them running.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I'd like to know is how the hell they managed to spend $250 million on that console. Imagine what kind of console we could have if we had a budget of that size to create it.

What I'd like to know is how the hell they managed to spend $250 million on that console. Imagine what kind of console we could have if we had a budget of that size to create it.
Um, The Hardware wasn´t that bad, apart from the screen. It was the business model that killed Tiger Telematics...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, but just think of Gizmondo specs, a screen like the GP32/2X, scrap WinCE, and being fully open to homebrew from the start. It would have made a killer console.

i remember when my dad came home telling me that he'd had a meeting with the heads of the people behind the jizmondo, he was given the first unit produced to hold and was told that it was effectively worth several millions of pound.

meant nothing to him of course, his company were completely underwhelmed by them and didn't end up doing any further with them.

It's a failed system because no one cared. Look at the PSP, the GBA the DS even the GP32 and 2X, people care enough about each one of these to stand up and defend then against detractors. No one ever stood up for the gizmondo on any factor other than that the hardware isnt that bad.

It's like setting a friend up on a blind date and telling him "she dosent have any infectious diseases" as the only selling point.

No one cared about the Giz because they weren't given a reason to. It does nothing special aside from maybe the GPS and that's not really all that useful as a gaming device, video player or anything connected to entertainment.

if you've been watching the industry news on the thing, the giz was clearly a front from the get-go (well, from the business get-go anyway). clearly when they settled onthat moniker they had no intention of actually trying to move the device.. the price tag didn't help either. but really it was just another story fo shady business deals, and successful attempts to cover up a bunch of executive excuses to waste abhorent amounts amounts of money on traveling, dining out and getting laid. I'd love to see an expose' about it someday.

god bless capitalism!

Back