Another World V. 1.01 Released.

i cant even start the game ]=
i only see some flash, then something (or someone) floats down, and then I'm presented a code with the advice to "press button or return to continue"
only 1 button actually works (a or b, cant remember right now) and it takes me to the beginning again -_-

help? pls :)

i cant even start the game ]=
i only see some flash, then something (or someone) floats down, and then I'm presented a code with the advice to "press button or return to continue"
only 1 button actually works (a or b, cant remember right now) and it takes me to the beginning again -_-

help? pls :)

Swim up so that you don't drown ;)

Last edited:
@DaveC: Little Programming info tidbit: The intesity bit is ignored in 256 color mode. So if you ever see something looking washed out, but you know it blits in 256 colors, you know where not to look as the problem. :ph34r:

That is not true. DrMD, Lynx emu, MAME all have noticeably better contrast on a BLU with the bit not set and they all use 8 bit mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be careful; the original author is remaking the game himself, so hes asking people to not going doing this sort of thing, which is why the author of the original port/rewrite withdrew it and is also asking people to not port his code around (if memory serve4s.. it was motnhs ago I read this.) So it would be cool to not do this project at all, to respect both the original author, and the author of this code being ported..

jeff

Should be careful; the original author is remaking the game himself, so hes asking people to not going doing this sort of thing, which is why the author of the original port/rewrite withdrew it and is also asking people to not port his code around (if memory serve4s.. it was motnhs ago I read this.) So it would be cool to not do this project at all, to respect both the original author, and the author of this code being ported..

jeff

Hi Jeff,

This is done with the complete blessing of Eric Chahi, Another Worlds author, designer and coder. He now owns all the copyright on the game and gave us the kind permission to do this release (and a Dreamcast port that another team is working on) provided the source is never released.

The upshot was that he was also happy for us to use the data files (after some minor mods) and release it all as freeware :D. It's all in the readme and on the site ;).

Gregory Montoir, the author of the RAW interpreter we use was also very involved in the project and it has his blessing.

Regards,

John

Wow, thats very very cool. I wonder if this is because the GP32 and DC are relatively unheard of platforms, or has he changed his heart along the line?

jeff

Wow, thats very very cool. I wonder if this is because the GP32 and DC are relatively unheard of platforms, or has he changed his heart along the line?

Lots of discussion and the fact he is a top bloke :D.

I think it is best left at that.

If only someone tried to port The Heart of the Alien :)

You could do it yourself ;)

http://hota.sourceforge.net/

It uses sprites rather then vector graphics and it does not use any common code so I don't expect any of the AW/GP32 code to work for HOTA (In fact I know the code for AW/GP32 is not even close to the HOTA engine).

That said I don't think a GP32 port of the HOTA re-working is that hard bar the fact it's a SegaCD game so you need to handle that and use some sort of OGG/MP3 decoder and implement it in the backend ;).

Great port chaps. Thankyou B)

Two possible,though very small bugs I saw:

The code/level page (one with just text) isn't centred on the page, though knowing my gp32_console it is probably another 'bonus feature' that only appears on mine :lol:

There is one bug I found. The chandelier after the waterfall vanishes if you tempt the guard (from under the stairs) on the same screen (yeah I know thats not how to complete the scene...I probably had a Benny Hill moment :lol: ).

Once again though, thanks again :D

Strangely enough, I was just discussing AW with friends not long ago. Hmmm...perhaps me should talk to them about Superfrog, Alien Breed... ;)

I need Help :)

You know the second level when you go down the lift?.. As soon as I walk to the left through to the next section, the guard always shoots me right away :(... Am I suposed to wait till that big guy you are with runs through first to let him take the first round of bullets ??

I remember playing this game on the Amiga when I was little and always found it hard as its like 1 hit and you are dead :p

...still too dark :(

Ok, I think it is fair to say people feel this is too dark on NLU and FLUs. It is being looked at so are there any other comments or bugs?

GP40,

I am looking into your bugs, not 100% sure there not like that in the origional game.

DJWillis, can I just ask (having never played the original) how come you seem unkeen (is that a word?) on making the display brighter? Is it because the original was very dark too, or is it just that it would be quite difficult to do?

It honestly is virtually impossible to play on my FLU as it stands...

I'm glad you're looking at it though! Cheers...

Back