Another World V. 1.01 Released.

DJWillis

Random GP32/GP2X/Wiz & Pandora Moocher
Website
www.distant-earth.com
We are sure some of you may be interested to know that Another World for the GP32 version 1.01 has been released.

More info and downloads can be found on the official site:

http://www.distant-earth.co.uk/awgp32/

Main changes in this release over version 1.00 (GBAX2005) are:
  • Sound code is now using Mutex's so sound should be much closer to the original game now.
  • The palettes intensity bit is no longer being set. This should make the game much more usable on BLU GP32’s.
We have also split the download into a "BLU+" and "ALL OTHERS" ZIP archive to cut the download size down. The readme has also got a slight tidy up.

All in all we feel this is a very stable and complete release with very few issues remaining.

Thanks,

The AW/GP32 Team

Is there any way you could implement brightness correction?

Its very dark on my nlu

i love Another World, but every time i press Select+Start to exit it just gives me a screen with some error message at the side and i have to switch my GP32 off then on again. any chance you can fix this?

i love Another World, but every time i press Select+Start to exit it just gives me a screen with some error message at the side and i have to switch my GP32 off then on again. any chance you can fix this?

Ahhh, just found that. It is not really a big bug now is it ;). Consider it a known bug.

As for the the brightness issues. We can take a look at doing something, I may be able to grab brightness code I have used in other projects that we can put in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, I love this game. Owned it on the 3do, didn't really like it.

Handheld, its almost a different game. It plays well on the gp, graphics are really really good, and you even got the blessing of the original creator, awesome.

I don't like the whole codes for levels system, but I realize that was a big part of the original. I would rather beat levels, and be able to choose a start from level later.

I hope you win gbax, as this was the most professional addition.

Handheld, its almost a different game. It plays well on the gp, graphics are really really good, and you even got the blessing of the original creator, awesome.

Interesting, this guy ported this same game onto the GBA not so long ago and the author made him withdraw it...

BTW Well done guys, I love this game, thanks.

yeah, i suck at it too. And the GBA version was publicaly available a few weeks before the GBAX compo. It was withdrawn at first, but the original author gave the permission a few weeks ago.

Ahhh, just found that. It is not really a big bug now is it ;). Consider it a known bug.

As for the the brightness issues. We can take a look at doing something, I may be able to grab brightness code I have used in other projects that we can put in.

The code you put in to set the intensity bit to 0 helped the contrast a bit on the BLU. It is less washed out now. The thing is the game itself has normally very pastel colors that makes it washed out by nature. The solution would be to leave the intensity bit at zero so black is still black and not gray, but bump the highest colors and ramp down to the lowest. This way you would have a greater spread and increase contrast. I am happy with the contrast the way it is now on the BLU. The contrast on the FLU and NLU is not as good so like many games with a generally dark palette they are harder to see. Not sure that there is much that could be done as it is a problem with non-lit and frontlighting technology.

Also I would put a way to save the game instead of codes. Writing codes on paper on the road is a bit of a pain.

This is a great conversion though.

@DaveC: Little Programming info tidbit: The intesity bit is ignored in 256 color mode. So if you ever see something looking washed out, but you know it blits in 256 colors, you know where not to look as the problem. :ph34r:

Very nice, thanks a lot. Just look into the contrast matter, it is too dark on my FLU.

Also I would put a way to save the game instead of codes. Writing codes on paper on the road is a bit of a pain.

I think it is fair to say that save states will not be implemented as the engine is not really setup to support it and the aim was to provide an authentic reimplementation of Another World rather then a remixed new version ;).

In my view it would be like adding save states to Rick Dangerous, it would take all the fun out of it :D. In my opinion of course ;).

The other points are noted and discussion about how best to look into them is being bounced about.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Worth reminding you that loki666 did an awful lot of the hard work on this and deserves an almighty pat of the back ;). Oh, and RTEMS is cool :D.

Works for me - a pixel-perfect conversion of one of the best Amiga games. And for free! Good work guys. Flashback might be the better game, but Another World had the edge in terms of style IMHO. Plus that brill level where you press all the buttons in the tank.

Back