Another World

stickofjoy

There have been two recently released engine rewrites of the Another World game by Eric Chahi/Delphine (1990).

Intro.gif
another1.gif

Review (French): http://www.grospixels.com/site/another.html

The most accessible engine is RAW (Rewritten Another World), which is now at 0.1.1 adding sound support. It works very well and because the game is vector based it can be scaled to pretty much any resolution and it looks as good as it's native 320x200. RAW uses the data files from the DOS version of the game. links below.

RAW homepage (source code download): http://membres.lycos.fr/cyxdown/raw/

DOS version of Another World (data download): http://www.dosgamesonline.com/spellen/anotherworld.zip

Alternative GBA version (Atari ST engine rewritten, no source, just to see how cool it is on a handheld): http://www.foxysofts.com/index.php?l=content/gba/anworld.inc

Does anybody have enough free time to port this?

matt

2 things,

Firstly, no promises but I am looking at RAW with a view to a port if/when I have more time. I would also be more then willing to help any other would-be C++ porter with what I have thus far. In theory it will work quite nicely in a 320*200 window on the GP32 much like ScummVM.

Secondly, it has been expressed on other sites that the game is still available in budget retail from some retailers and as such posting links to the data files would break the warez rules of this board, just something to consider ;) :D.

mmmh...i took a quick look at the code, and it seems it use SDL Mutex... as far as i know, Threads and Mutex aren't implemented in actual SDL port...
dont know... maybe mutex could be ripped off tought

edit: actually mutex seems to be used only for sfx

loki666 posted on May 17 2004 at 04:00 PM said:
mmmh...i took a quick look at the code, and it seems it use SDL Mutex... as far as i know, Threads and Mutex aren't implemented in actual SDL port...
dont know... maybe mutex could be ripped off tought

edit: actually mutex seems to be used only for sfx
Who said we HAD to use SDL ;).

The ScummVM backend port handles both sounds and graphics mutex stuff fine :). Threads would not be too hard to get shot of, there not really very portable anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
someone still working on this?? would be nice to have it :( no theres also a version with sound....

papapopalung posted on May 17 2004 at 12:58 PM said:
i remember this game. the first game ever to have cutscenes, if i remember rightly... pretty cool :D
Depends what you class as a cutscene really. I class the training movie between each belt in Punchout a cutscene.

I would have realy like to play it native on the gp32
Wonder what that are re-releasing it on ?

i'm going to contact Eric Chahi, to know if i can release a port for gp32...(raw is really too easy to port)
i've saw Eric Chahi asked to cancel a gba port, but maybe he dont care about gp32...
i hope so

Even though the project was stopped, I think 0.1.1 of raw supported the game with sound perfectly well. Go for it!

stickofjoy posted on May 26 2004 at 11:13 AM said:
Even though the project was stopped, I think 0.1.1 of raw supported the game with sound perfectly well. Go for it!
indeed, its running pretty well on gp32 (well i ripped sound stuff as usual for my first build)

loki666 posted on May 26 2004 at 12:25 PM said:
stickofjoy posted on May 26 2004 at 11:13 AM said:
indeed, its running pretty well on gp32 (well i ripped sound stuff as usual for my first build)
loki666,

I did not realise you also ported it. It was fairly easy to do wasn’t it ;).

I agreed to not release my port/source but that was as much out of good grace then any real legal reason and the fact that I respect Cyx as a fellow ScummVM developer. Your free to make your own call on releasing your port but I have a strong suspicion as to what Eric Chahi will say :D.

Worth noting that RAW 0.1.1 is NOT completeable.

Did you use the GamePark SDK, I used my own sound ring from ScummVM for sound and that worked fairly well and the GP SDK for everything else.

yeah really easy port (raw author made a miracle with his SystemStub)
i used mr.mirko's SDK with ADS
sound isnt implemented yet... and the 40 lower line of screen are still unused
i just sent an email to Eric Chahi... let's see...

are you sure RAW 0.1.1 is not completeable?

loki666 posted on May 26 2004 at 01:36 PM said:
i used mr.mirko's SDK with ADS
sound isnt implemented yet... and the 40 lower line of screen are still unused
i just sent an email to Eric Chahi... let's see...

are you sure RAW 0.1.1 is not completeable?
loki666,

Mail me if you want to talk more but I am fairly sure that 0.1.1 has some big bugs later on in the game.

I have a quick scalar to stretch the display to 320*240 as intended (it was like that on the original platforms).

Back