Anticipate The New Video Here

As always Ed, you are a "The Man"! Great Video! Everytime I see something new, it just makes me realize how awesome this little device will be. I really hope these start to ship within the next 30 days, as the wait has been much to long!

The system looks so well thought out, a true gamers machine! Thanks Again!

Chris

Nice video EvilDragon !

The choice of GUI is great. The Ubuntu netbook launcher is quite nice on the Pandora screen size.
I imagine it will be possible to use the game control to navigate though it right ?

marshal said:
Nice video EvilDragon !

The choice of GUI is great. The Ubuntu netbook launcher is quite nice on the Pandora screen size.
I imagine it will be possible to use the game control to navigate though it right ?

Haven't tried, don't know if this is implemented in the netbook launcher at the moment.
Keep in mind that this is just the beginning - I'm pretty sure we'll see a lot more WMs, launchers and GUIs optimized once this thing is released.
Pangea is also one GUI which looks spot on to me :)

Last edited:
OT: How does everyone here pronounce GUI?

I noticed that ED pronounces it "guy". I've always pronounced it "gooey", but that's because it was how my first CS teacher pronounced it and he was from Kentucky >.>

Also, I'm really digging the netbook-launcher.

Rathum said:
I noticed that ED pronounces it "guy". I've always pronounced it "gooey", but that's because it was how my first CS teacher pronounced it and he was from Kentucky >.>

I say "gooey" too. It looks pretty sweet, I like it too. Though I would probably stick with the desktop-like interface Xfce

Last edited by a moderator:
AWESOME!!! Love it... Exactly why I'm so keenly awaiting my Pandora.

As for GUI - yes, I think most people say gooey, it's just an ED thing (just like the way he says 'did' often in a sentence that makes it a little uncomfortable to read - not something my German girlfriend does), but that's just one of the many reasons why we love him!

Kloplop321 said:
Rathum said:

I say "gooey" too. It looks pretty sweet, I like it too. Though I would probably stick with the desktop-like interface Xfce

I hate it when people say it either way.

It's all about, G.U.I.

G U I for me too.

Nice vids. That SuperFrog scrolling looks well dodgy though (left hand side) - I can't remember it looking that bad on a real Amiga. Was it that bad way back then? Did the smaller tv screen res. hide the screen drawing? I do this offscreen when making scrolling games. Maybe the Pandora screen reveals more than it should?

Thanks for the great videos, ED.

iprice said:
G U I for me too.

Nice vids. That SuperFrog scrolling looks well dodgy though (left hand side) - I can't remember it looking that bad on a real Amiga. Was it that bad way back then? Did the smaller tv screen res. hide the screen drawing? I do this offscreen when making scrolling games. Maybe the Pandora screen reveals more than it should?
Yeah, that's probably due to overscan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

This area of the screen was cut off on most cathode ray tubes. NES has very similar artifacts when scrolling that are visible on any NES emulator but were invisible on TVs back then.

I'm not completely sure whether Amigas usually came with a specific monitor. I know I used a common TV for mine.

yea G. U . I
though I know for the most part, people say gooey, just seems so silly to me to say it though.

I have a request, can we see Lemmings1, or even better yet, Lemmings2 (due to H+V scrolling added, and the need of connecting a mouse to the USB) running on UAE? pleeeasee :)

Rathum said:
OT: How does everyone here pronounce GUI?

GEE-U-EYE

Thanks for both videos, ED - I really enjoyed watching them. Now I can't wait to fire up Sleepwalker and such, for the Amiga. :D

I have a question, if I may. Will it be possible to remap the controls for stuff like the Amiga and ST to our liking? I say this because, even from when I was a kid, I really hated having to push up in order to jump in platform games on the various home computers of the time. :lol:

Last of all, regarding the "GUI" discussion: I had no idea until now that anybody pronounces it as a word. I've always said "G.U.I.", myself. I learn something new every day. :)

Back