Any good RPG games?

Viking

So, I've just graduated from high school (yay me!) and taking a year of to start saving for college. And now I have time to play plenty of RPGs that I told myself I didn't have time for such!

I really enjoy games were you can fight enemies without the whole random enemy encounter stuff *insert dramatic it's going to be a fight now melody*, always thought "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" when running into a rattata or some goblins. Like.. argh it's kinda hard to explain.. I've played Zenonia on my Iphone, that kind of games!!

I really enjoy games were you can fight enemies without the whole random enemy encounter stuff *insert dramatic it's going to be a fight now melody*, always thought "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" when running into a rattata or some goblins.

So...you're more into Western RPGs, as opposed to JRPGs, which have a lot of over-the-top and dramitic turn-based scenes?

- The Legend of Zelda series (all of them)

- The Elder Scrolls series (Morrowind & Oblivion?)

- Fallout series (Fallout 3 & Fallout: New Vegas?)

- Mass Effect series (all of them)

- Duex Ex series (all of them)

You're 18 years old, right? Congrats on graduating! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoy games were you can fight enemies without the whole random enemy encounter stuff *insert dramatic it's going to be a fight now melody*, always thought "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" when running into a rattata or some goblins.

So...you're more into Western RPGs, as opposed to JRPGs, which have a lot of over-the-top and dramitic turn-based scenes?

- The Legend of Zelda series (all of them)

- The Elder Scrolls series (Morrowind & Oblivion?)

- Fallout series (Fallout 3 & Fallout: New Vegas?)

- Mass Effect series (all of them)

- Duex Ex series (all of them)

You're 18 years old, right? Congrats on graduating! :)

Yupp, that's me! I get more or less frustrated when encountering a random opponent. And yeah, played all of your suggestions actually :p

But I would love to play something that has SNES graphics, I can remember a spesific game that I played when I was 12, but can't remember the title! Remember you could be a theif and all the different classes you could choose had a different story, but would meet at the ending. There were also a healer that was this cute little thing (i think) and a royal warrior?

And also, I'm 19 :D Norwegian kids don't begin at school before their 6, instead of the US were they begin when they're 5.

EDIT: And thank you Sony! How rude of me, got tired and went to bed, forgot to thank you :p

Just let the Baldur's Gate series consume your life. Then the Icewind Dale series.

4 games, 3 expansions, years of play time. There's also the fan-made expansions (though you should stay away from the BG2 fixpack, IIRC, the developers don't actually test their completely arbitrary changes).

And if that's not enough, try Planescape. I've not yet played that one, but that's only because I'm still trying to play through BG2.

It takes forever because I'm one of those people who try to do everything in the game (and completely ruin the replay value concept).

After that, of course, there's Neverwinter Nights, which has a nearly infinite amount of fan-made content on the Neverwinter Vault.

if youve enjoyed diablo 2, i liked playing Nox, windows only though, if you havent enjoyed diablo 2, maybe go with that?

Grandia! Your deity of choice will strike you down if you, an RPG fan, don't play it!

By the way, no random encounters.

Dreamcast? I'm referring to the original Grandia, not Grandia 2. Grandia runs beautifully in PCSX-ReARMed, by the way.

Are you saying that you prefer action rpgs? Here's a list of good ones that I've played:

Story of thor/beyond oasis: Megadrive

Story of thor 2/The legend of oasis: Saturn

Zelda a link to the past: SNES

Shining Wisdom: Saturn

Landstalker: Megadrive

Soleil: Megadrive

Light crusader: Megadrive

Terranigma: SNES

Dark Saviour: Saturn

Turn based, non-random encounters -

Any of the fire emblem series: Various

Earthbound: SNES (if you haven't played this then snap to it!)

Shining force 1&2: Megadrive (Shining force 1 is also on the GBA)

Shining force 3: Saturn

Super Mario RPG: SNES

I know exactly what you mean my friend!

Hmm... SNES style huh, how about

Secret of Mana (One of my Favorites)

Secret of Evermore (Haven't played to finish but based on same engine as SoM above.)

Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 3. You'll have to look on DeJap for the translation.)

Might & Magic 3: Isles of Terra (I have this for DOS but also on SNES.)

7th Saga (This might be the one you were talking about.)

Playstation 1

King's Field (First person 3D hack and slash rpg. NO loading times. 2nd installment of the series. My all time favorite series.)

King's Field 2 (3rd installment of the series same engine as the one above.)

Shadow Tower (Spinoff of King's Field series but not as good.)

Breath of Fire 3 and 4 (Yes random encounters but still two of the best RPGs.)

Lunar: Silver Star Story (Selectable encounters like Star Ocean for PS2 great game.)

Jade Cocoon (Selectable encounters.)

Legend of Legaia (Random encounter but nice battle system.)

Playstation 2

Final Fantasy 12 (One of my favorites regardless of the story just because it has open world battles. I just imported the Zodiac Job System version, now I have to learn Japanese.)

King's Field: The Ancient City (4th installment of King's Field series. Still 3D first person hack and slash style.)

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (Battles are only initiated if you run into an enemy on the map.)

Kingdom Hearts (Haven't played to completion but still fun. Open world battles.)

Legaia 2: Duel Saga (Like Legend of Legaia.)

Drakengard (More action less RPG but still not bad.)

Commodore 64

http://www.newcomer.hu/ (I haven't played this one yet because the new version isn't out yet but its supposed to be a huge game 20+ years in the making.)

Sega Mega Drive/Genesis

Shining in the Darkness (It kinda has and doesn't have random encounters. At least not the swirly screen battle music kind.)

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (AD&D Goldbox Engine game. DOS version has better mechanics Sega version better graphics. Many hours were lost to this game.)

PC DOS/Win

Gothic 1 & 2 (Great games I highly recommend the first. Kinda plays like a console game.)

Nethack (Who can forget this 'killer' of a game. The only one I know of that laughs at your repeated deaths.)

Any Might & Magic game accept IX (You can find them all on GOG.com accept IX.)

The Elder Scrolls: Arena (Think you can still download from Elder Scrolls website.)

The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall (Same with Arena.)

Diablo

Diablo 2

Nox

Deus Ex (Love it.)

Fallout 1 & 2 (Hybrid turnbased overworld battles. Still great.)

Syndicate (Control a team of four cybernetically enhanced operatives and buy upgrades throughout the game. Also for AMIGA)

FATE (From Wildtangent games, basically a Diablo clone. Still not bad.)

The Witcher (Great game. The book is also great.)

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (Modern 3D first person hack and slash game. Great game.)

Thief Series (Not RPGs in the literal sense but still very fun if you like stealth games.)

Cannon Fodder (Not an RPG but still a fun game.)

Well I think this list could keep you busy for quite a while. I'm also out of games to list (well I have left out some more obvious ones).

Congrats on graduating!

Hehe, I've played the baldur's gate series and read The dark elf triology that's about Drizzt Do'Urden, were he appears in both 1 and second BG games :p Love that guy!

Diablo I, II and Nox have been played. Didn't like Nox much thought.

I could pick up Icewind dale, and Neverwinter Nights. But I have a weird lag issue on my computer so I can't play NN on my PC :(

But I should be a bit more spesific that I wanted to play them on my pandora!

Suger Kane, pretty much yeah. And I will check out your suggestions :p

PS: Just because you have a slight more chance evading monsters in Grandia doesn't mean it more or less frustrating. It still have the whole *LET'S FIGHT* melody and montage. And yes, played that to on both my original PSX and PS3 :D

I've played secret of mana I and secret of evermore, evermore is one of my favorite rpg games!

But King's Field sounds interesting, shall check that out too :p

Newcomer, never heard of it. But it's kinda mind boggling that someone want to use 20 years making a game for the C64? But looks cool!

Yeah I found out about Newcomer while looking for more games for my C64 and was surprised someone was still working on a game for it. Yes I highly recommend the King's Field series. Its not the best by any means but if you like the dark fantasy medieval theme coupled with the first person hack and slash with magic on the side style like I do, you'll love it. I have played all three and the unreleased first in the series at least 20-50 times each. I still play it to this day. Most of the games in my list you could play in their respective emulators with little effort.

YES!!

I remember playing Seiken Densetsu 3!! I loved that game, used to play as the thief :D

Thank you so much for your help Ikreos! And thanks for the recommendations guys, lot to pick up!

You guys are NOT gonna see me for a while now :p

To get in the mood you could also read some of the books by William Gibson like Neuromancer

At the risk of derailing the thread, Neuromancer is one of the few books that was good enough for me to go out and buy it after reading it the first time (normally I just borrow lots from various libraries), but you really need to be on the ball when reading it, or else the climax gets terribly confusing.

Back