Any Kind Of Phone Capabilities?

jocejrod

just wondering if the pandora would be able to have any kind of phone capabilities. mostly curious about some sort of voip service. i'm looking into getting one of those new sprint 4g wifi modems, and if i could skip the phone and just use a pandora

Some reading first:
mali said:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49215-pandora-as-a-phone/page__p__749394
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/45957-cell-phone/page__p__684475
Chip said:
Try these threads: 1 2 3 4 5
Maybe you find something useful :)

Last edited by a moderator:
An image says more than a thousand words:
Alec  said:
*snip*
Not to be rude, but have you ever seen what a Pandora looks like? It's entirely not designed in a way that you can comfortably talk into. With OpenMoko, you can actually hold it in your hand while putting it to your face. With the Pandora, you'd look something like this:

22563909.png

*snip*

So I'd rather skip the phone capabilities for this and many more reasons.

On this topic, though, there are several linux open source programs that would probably work quite agreeably with pandora if properly ported. For instance: \

Linphone
sipX
Vocal

Here's a list

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Open+Source+VOIP+Software

Nah, still don't like the idea.

I guess if you can afford a data plan with enough speed/traffic limit, if you get a good VoIP solution running (Skype port still needs to be seen) and if battery can sustain 3G/4G connectivity for as long as normal phone use requires (ie: around the clock) then it might be a good phone replacement.

That's my main problem, I can't see Pandora + 3G/4G + VoIP program as a replacement for a standard cheap cell phone. The price of data plan is too expensive and coverage will most likely be poor.

I'd rather do the otherway around, keep the cellphone (and thus the voice functions) and tether Pandora if I want mobile Internet. Then I need not have 3G/4G whilst still having voice (thus cheaper data plan).

Also what about the VoIP plan? Isn't that an extra cost on top? I don't think making calls into regular phone networks will come for free.

Yoyobuae said:
Nah, still don't like the idea.

I guess if you can afford a data plan with enough speed/traffic limit, if you get a good VoIP solution running (Skype port still needs to be seen) and if battery can sustain 3G/4G connectivity for as long as normal phone use requires (ie: around the clock) then it might be a good phone replacement.

That's my main problem, I can't see Pandora + 3G/4G + VoIP program as a replacement for a standard cheap cell phone. The price of data plan is too expensive and coverage will most likely be poor.

I'd rather do the otherway around, keep the cellphone (and thus the voice functions) and tether Pandora if I want mobile Internet. Then I need not have 3G/4G whilst still having voice (thus cheaper data plan).

Also what about the VoIP plan? Isn't that an extra cost on top? I don't think making calls into regular phone networks will come for free.

Cell phone carriers don't specify what you're going to use the bandwidth for, I don't know of any extra charge for using voip on a cellular network.

Depends on the country you live in whether or not it's attractive.
Over here in the Netherlands, we can get data-only UMTS for less than €20,-/month, with good speeds and usable limits, or ~€10,-/month on top of a voice-plan, with lower speeds and FUPs (and a pre-paid plan, with low limits)

VOIP can be done through voipbuster, basically for €10,- per 3 months, 300min per week per ip-address (though calling to dutch mobile phones happens to NOT be "free", but 25c/min...).

thanks for the response everybody. now that i've looked everything over, i think google voice is my best bet since i only need to use text messages. that being said...

anybody got a spare invite?
jocejrod@gmail.com
would be appreciated :-D

Laurencevde said:
Depends on the country you live in whether or not it's attractive.
*snip*
Exactly!!! Here the most limited data only plan costs $30/month and they start throttling down speeds after 2GB. <_<

Back